INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon 350D suddenly no exposure?

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

A little bit of an update:
I've been experimenting with this problem, and there simply is no way that I can make the raspberry pi take an exposure with the 350D. The same camera works without problems on my laptop, running kubuntu 15.10. And the raspberry pi works nicely with a 70D, so it is not a general problem with indi or the gphoto driver, but seems specific to the 350D.
Driver indi_gphoto version 1.4, interface 10, both on laptop and on raspberry pi. (but the package in the kubuntu laptop is slightly differently named, see post above)
USB-hub or no USB-hub makes no difference.

And there is not much of a logfile produced by indi-gphoto. The only thing is this in the INDI-window:

2016-05-03T14:30:32: Driver indi_gphoto_ccd: snooping on Losmandy Gemini.EQUATORIAL_EOD_COORD
2016-05-03T14:30:32: Driver indi_gphoto_ccd: read <getProperties device='Losmandy Gemini' name='TELESCOPE_INFO'>
2016-05-03T14:30:32: Driver indi_gphoto_ccd: snooping on Losmandy Gemini.TELESCOPE_INFO
2016-05-03T14:30:32: Client 0: sending <setTextVector device="GPhoto CCD" name="ACTIVE_DE
2016-05-03T14:30:32: Driver indi_gphoto_ccd: read <getProperties device='CCD Simulator' name='FILTER_SLOT'>
2016-05-03T14:30:32: Driver indi_gphoto_ccd: read <getProperties device='CCD Simulator' name='FILTER_NAME'>
2016-05-03T14:30:32: Driver indi_gphoto_ccd: read <defTextVector device='GPhoto CCD' name='SHUTTER_PORT'>
2016-05-03T14:30:32: Client 0: queuing <defTextVector device='GPhoto CCD' name='SHUTTER_PORT'>
2016-05-03T14:30:32: Client 0: sending <defTextVector device="GPhoto CCD" name="SHUTTER_P

I note that this ends in a truncated manner, as if the driver crashes.

Anyone got any ideas on this? My May project, depending on this modified camera, seems to be in serious troubles....

Magnus
7 years 10 months ago #8039

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi again!

I connect to this thread rather than making a new one, as I am beginning to feel like a spammer with my 350D woes.....

This problem here was solved, update of the driver fixed it.

But now I have a new, and quite odd problem: I cannot download images from my 350D when taken with the raspberry pi - but it works with my laptop. Exposure works fine, then it starts downloading, but nothing comes through. Attached is log files from the driver and kstars.

One thing I note is that this file is mentioned in the driver log: /tmp/indi_OfiYjU. But that file does not exist on the raspberry pi. And there is disk space - 408 MB according to df -h.

indi-gphoto is version 1.4+r118.253~ubuntu16.04.1 . On my laptop, where it works, I have version 1.4+r118.253~ubuntu15.10.1

Any ideas?

Update: same thing for my 70D. Actually, one image was downloaded today, then nothing.

Magnus
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Magnus Larsson.
7 years 10 months ago #8163
Attachments:

Hi!

A little update after a lot of experimentation: Download works on and off. And it is a quite quirky camera....
But:
It seems the download problem is related to having the guidecam connected. If I run indi wthout it, chances are far bigger that it will work. Running the camera separately - no mount, no guidecam no focuser - seems to work well.

And if I run the guideca in a separate indiserver (on another port), it seems to be OK.

Any idea of how guidecam amd DSLR could interfere with each other?

Also: I run ubuntu 15.10 on my laptop, but 16.04 on the raspberry pi. I am going to see if that makes a difference here too.

Magnus
7 years 10 months ago #8175

• Thank you received: 32
This, to me, sounds like a communication problem. I had similar weird problems, which vanished after I threw away the adapter for the Pi and connected it to a powered USB on which my DSLR was also connected. It seems it was due to interference of not having common ground.
7 years 10 months ago #8177

Hi!

Great, thanks! I've also been thinking in terms of USB-connections, but so far, experiments have, as is commonly said in research, "been inclonclusive".

What do you mean by "adapter" or the Pi? And what is connected to you powered USB-hub? I have both the regular USB and a shutter release cable for this camera. I've been playing with connecting some stuff directly to the PI, but I wonder now if it is not better to connect them to a powered hub.... anyway: it's helpful if you can say more, and I'll keep experimenting!

Magnus
7 years 10 months ago #8180

• Thank you received: 32
Well, I powered my Pi with a seperate power adapter. The powered USB hub as well, so they didn't have common ground. My powered USB hub has 2 seperate power-ports that give 5V 2 Amp output, so I figured, why not just connect the PI to those! Then everything is connected just to the powered USB hub and that seemed to be the trick.

I would also advice to use "shielded" USB cables, especially for the DSLR data transfer.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Vincent Groenewold.
7 years 10 months ago #8181

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds