INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Orion Starshoot Autoguider

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by John S. on topic Orion Starshoot Autoguider

Interestingly, neither of those log paths exist on my machine. Would it be somewhere in the settings? Perhaps I have turned off a setting by mistake?
7 years 5 months ago #11061

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I think I found the problem. Logging was set to default instead of file.
7 years 5 months ago #11062

Did you watch the video for submitting logs?
7 years 5 months ago #11063

Not yet, but I will before I get a chance to connect up the autoguider. I don't have the mount set up right now. It was easy enough to grab the camera for the other thread we have going though. :)
7 years 5 months ago #11065

• Thank you received: 10
Since we use an Orion guider at the university, might I suggest he get the system guiding using Lin_guider as an independent piece of software? We do it all the time and it works great.
Simply download Lin_guider, install and select as a QHY5 camera. He will need to modify the udev rules to recognize and install the QHY5 driver with the Orion's product ID.

Dan
7 years 5 months ago #11088

Dan,

Thanks for the tip. Do you have a URL with the modifications required for lin_guider to work with the SSAG?
7 years 5 months ago #11089

• Thank you received: 46
The SSAG and the QHY5 are the exact same hardware, just reporting different usb vid/pid. I experimented with ours a few years ago, re-programming the eeprom in the camera to swap vid/pid between them, and they both worked fine with either vid/pid programmed in. The orion drivers were happy with both of them using the orion vid/pid, and the qhy drivers would recognize and use both when programmed with the qhy5 vid/pd. At the time we were using win98 on the computers at the telescopes, and found the orion drivers to be more stable, so left them both programmed as ssag. That was quite a number of years ago.

When we were using them, we isolated our most problematic conditions. These cameras require full power available on a usb plug, and they will get very sick if the port it's plugged into doesn't give the full 500ma, many hubs do not give enough power on individual ports. The other issue we ran into, they dont 'play nice' when on the usb bus with other high bandwidth gadgets, so if we had frames streaming from the qhy5 while an image was being downloaded from the other camera (same issue with both the dslr and the sx cameras) plugged into the same usb hub, the qhy5 would eventually freeze up and the ONLY recovery seemed to be to go out to the telescope, unplug it, and plug it back in. the work-around to that was to stop taking frames from the guide camera while the imaging camera was downloading, it was possible because we were using software we wrote here. The other work-around that worked well for software where we couldn't control that, ensure that the qhy5 was plugged into a port on the computer that was NOT shared with anything else via a hub.
7 years 5 months ago #11096

I think my SSAG may have given up the ghost more or less. I can not connect to it at all in windows 10. It's possible that this previously working computer isn't giving enough power to the port now. I connect to it in my INDI system running on Linux Mint and can even sort of capture images. They are either entirely white, grey or black with no detail. I am not sure what has tipped over here, but it might be time for a new autoguider here. :(
7 years 5 months ago #11103

• Thank you received: 10
Nice discussion on the original Orion Starshoot and QHY5 being the same hardware. As for changing or programming the VID/PID, I generally would not go there. There is no need since the camera is essentially, a QHY5 with a different VID/PID. On Linux, you have control over the udev rules, therefore, its possible to direct any device to any driver you wish.

This line in the 85-qhy.rules in the /lib/udev/rules.d should get the driver loading.

# Orion SSAG
ATTRS{idVendor}=="1856", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0011", RUN+="/sbin/fxload -t fx2 -I /lib/firmware/qhy/QHY5.HEX -D $env{DEVNAME} -s /lib/firmware/qhy/QHY5LOADER.HEX"

From a terminal screen run a lsusb and see the devices. If your camera is present and the udev did load the driver, you are going to see something like this line on the lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 007: ID 16c0:296d Van Ooijen Technische Informatica

If your lsusb gives you another address for the camera, I suspect your camera has somehow gotten lost or reprogrammed.

Don't worry, your camera is probably still alive.
Dan
7 years 5 months ago #11109

• Thank you received: 46
In our case, a few years ago, I did change the vid/pid because at the time we were using windows computers, and the drivers that came with the orion were more stable than those that came with the qhy. We wanted both using the orion driver set.

I agree, on linux, it makes no difference as we can fix it up in other ways.
7 years 5 months ago #11110

Astrodan,

Thanks for that informative post. I do indeed have that line in my firmware and the device does show up when I issue the lsusb command.

I can't seem to get it to really cooperate with either INDI or PHD2 though. I am very open to the possibility that I am doing something wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. I don't have a preference as to which way I control it as long as it works. I don't have the patience right now to compile lin-guider to give that a try. Any suggestions on getting it to work would be greatly appreciated.
7 years 5 months ago #11113

If you have TeamViewer installed, I can login and try to check it out.
7 years 5 months ago #11117

Time to create page: 0.946 seconds