INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ghoto and Nikon D810A

• Thank you received: 0
I'm new to the INDI/Ekos and have just started to use it to capture/autofocus with my D810A.
The INDI server 1.4.1, which I download from the site for RPi here, is on a Raspberry Pi3 (Raspbian OS) to which the camera and a motor focuser are attached. I want to control them through Wifi from my MacBook with kstars 2.7.6.
After setup of kstars and Ekos, making the profile with the Nikon DSLR (the other modules are set to the simulators), I started INDI but it stops at the point connecting to the camera. Then I changed the profile so as to use the Gphoto CCD. Now the INDI started successfully, but now cannot configure the parameters in the Control Panel. Anything I push "Set" returns to the yellow indicator and no progress. (See the attached SS.)

I think that what I did is not wrong, since I succeeded to connect/capture/focus with D7100 and D800E using the profile which registered the "Nikon DSLR" (not "Gphoto CCD").

Is the gphoto in the distribution is too old to support D810A?
I'd like to know the cause of this and a work-around.
7 years 1 day ago #15695
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic ghoto and Nikon D810A

Being stuck at "Yellow" usually means the driver crashed for whatever reason. The Nikon and GPhoto drivers are identical, except for how they handle multiple cameras attached. Try to turn logging out and see where it stops.
7 years 1 day ago #15697

I took the logs, the one is taken when I started with a profile which uses Nikon DSLR as CCD and the other is with a profile using GPhotoCCD. The former cannot connect to the camera, while the latter can connect but does not accept any setting.
Attached are these logs.
Could you figure out what's wrong?
7 years 1 day ago #15709
Attachments:

I'm not an expert of the OS of RPi and Linux, but found that the version of gphoto2, installed before the INDI lib 1.4.1, is 2.5.4, which does not support D810A. D810A was included in the list of supported cameras after 2.5.11.
I guess this is the reason why my old D800E and D7100 worked fine and D810A didn't.
The gphoto2 lib installed by apt-get command seems still ver.2.5.4. Must I build the latest gphoto2 from the scratch?

Besides this issue, I tried to connect the camera, not to the RPi, but to my MacBook running kstars 2.7.6 with the local INDI server, and the gphoto2 crashed. Seeing the log attached, loading the gphoto2 lib failed, but I have no idea on workaround.
7 years 15 hours ago #15721
Attachments:

Yes you need the vest latest libgphoto for some cameras to work, including Sony's. I'll ask Rob to check the Mac issue. Thanks for the report!
7 years 7 hours ago #15734

Thanks, Jasem.
I uninstall gphoto2 2.5.4 and install ver. 2.5.12, which works fine for D7100. I'm now out so I'll check it with my D810A later. I hope it works with the newer cameras.
7 years 7 hours ago #15735

After intalled gphoto2 2.5.11, I checked it works fine with D810A by CLI.
I installed the gphoto2 by use of the script on
github.com/gonzalo/gphoto2-updater
which installs the ghpoto2 binaries under /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/bin.
Since I cannot start INDI from the Ekos, so try to execute "indiserver -m 100 -v indi_nikon_ccd" which returns the following:
2017-03-28T13:37:53: startup: indiserver -m 100 -v indi_nikon_ccd 
2017-03-28T13:37:53: Driver indi_nikon_ccd: pid=7558 rfd=3 wfd=6 efd=7
2017-03-28T13:37:53: listening to port 7624 on fd 4
Child process 7558 died
2017-03-28T13:37:53: Driver indi_nikon_ccd: indi_nikon_ccd: error while loading shared libraries: libgphoto2_port.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
2017-03-28T13:37:53: Driver indi_nikon_ccd: stdin EOF
2017-03-28T13:37:53: Driver indi_nikon_ccd: restart #1
2017-03-28T13:37:53: Driver indi_nikon_ccd: pid=7559 rfd=0 wfd=6 efd=7
2017-03-28T13:37:53: Driver indi_nikon_ccd: indi_nikon_ccd: error while loading shared libraries: libgphoto2_port.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
2017-03-28T13:37:53: Driver indi_nikon_ccd: stderr EOF
2017-03-28T13:37:53: Driver indi_nikon_ccd: restart #2
2017-03-28T13:37:53: Driver indi_nikon_ccd: pid=7560 rfd=0 wfd=6 efd=7
Child process 7559 died
2017-03-28T13:37:53: select(8): Interrupted system call
2017-03-28T13:37:53: good bye

The indiserver crashed because failed to find libgphoto2_port.so.10 and the new ghpoto2 package does not contain it but /usr/local/lib/libgphoto2_port.so.12 and libgphoto2_port.so which is a symbolic link to the former.
To solve this issue, must I build the indi_gphoto or the whole indiserver from the source?
If so, how can I do that on RPi3?
7 years 1 hour ago #15750

Some progress today, but still cannot control D810A from kstars/Ekos.
I removed the " Daily INDI Library for Raspberry PI 1.4.1" together with its dependencies, then re-install the gphoto2 with the update script. After that, I build and install the INDI server 1.4.1 and 3rd party drivers from the source.

Now I can control D5300, which was not supported by the old gphoto2 2.5.4, just as the old Nikon DSLR such as D7100 and D800E. However, D810A still crashes on my push of the setting button in the INDI control panel as shown in the SS on my first post.
What is strange is that the indicator turned into yellow after I set the image info or save the config. but the generated xml file recorded the configuration. Below is the first several lines of that xml.
<INDIDriver>
<newTextVector device='Nikon DSLR DSC D810A' name='DEVICE_PORT'>
  <oneText name='PORT'>

</oneText>
</newTextVector>
<newNumberVector device='Nikon DSLR DSC D810A' name='CCD_INFO'>
  <oneNumber name='CCD_MAX_X'>
  </oneNumber>
  <oneNumber name='CCD_MAX_Y'>
  </oneNumber>
  <oneNumber name='CCD_PIXEL_SIZE'>
  </oneNumber>
  <oneNumber name='CCD_PIXEL_SIZE_X'>
  </oneNumber>
  <oneNumber name='CCD_PIXEL_SIZE_Y'>
  </oneNumber>
  <oneNumber name='CCD_BITSPERPIXEL'>
  </oneNumber>
</newNumberVector>
<newSwitchVector device='Nikon DSLR DSC D810A' name='DEBUG'>
  <oneSwitch name='ENABLE'>
      Off
  </oneSwitch>
  <oneSwitch name='DISABLE'>
      On
  </oneSwitch>
</newSwitchVector>

After that, I push "Disconnect", but nothing occurs and still the INDI server is running.
After rebooting the RPi, when I start INDI, the config is not loaded and behavior of the INDI control pane is the same as before.
I did some command control of gphoto2 on the RPi but nothing different from D5300 occurred, and the output of "indiserver -m 100 -v indi_nikon_ccd" returns the same as D5300. Attached is the log of the Ekos after the INDI started to I pushed "Disconnect".

Any suggestion will be appreciated.
6 years 11 months ago #15801
Attachments:

The KStars log appear normal. Assuming you built your INDI sources using -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug, please debug as following:
gdb --eval-command="set follow-fork-mode child" --args indiserver -v indi_gphoto_ccd

Then connect to it from KStars/Ekos until driver crashes, go back to terminal and type bt to get backtrace and post it.
6 years 11 months ago #15804

Thanks Jasem.
I've built the indiserver following the README.md contained in the source distribution, hence the "-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug" was on.
As you suggested, I ran gdb with the option and opened kstars, started INDI and tried to set some parameters to see the yellow indicator. The type "bt" after (gdb) and the returned is "No stack."

After I saw the yellow indicator, I started the INDI Web manager to turn on and off the indiserver. I could do that, and when I turned off the indiserver, the kstars reported "Sever disconnected". After that, I can start INDI in kstars, but the behavior was the same as before.

Any other way to pin down what causes this issue?
6 years 11 months ago #15805

gdb should tell you if the driver crashes. You can only do bt once it crashes, not before. It the driver is not crashing then the problem is elsewhere. At one point exactly the driver gets stuck? Can you write all the steps down so I can try to reproduce?
6 years 11 months ago #15809

I did 'bt' each time after I found the yellow indicator. I thought that the driver has not crashed, so tried to turn on and off with the web manager, after seeing the yellow.
What I did is as follows:
1. Start INDI with a profile which registers the Nikon DSLR or GPhoto CCD as the CCD. The server is remote and both "Auto Connect" and "Web Manager" are checked.
2. Then the INDI control panel appears. It seems to be connected to the camera, but the image setting (resolution of the sensor) was not reflected to the panel, while it is in the config xml (I attached it.)
3. Pushing ANY one of the buttons in the INDI control panel turns the indicator into yellow.
4. Both after and before I see the yellow, "Disconnect" in the Ekos panel didn't work, that is, "Stop INDI" is still grayed out.

I tested with D810A, D800E, D5300 and D7100, and only D810A behaves like above. Of course, D5300 didn't work, before I installed the new gphoto2 (2.5.11) and built the indiserver 1.4.1.
6 years 11 months ago #15811
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.340 seconds