INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Brand new ASI120MC works on Windows 7 but not Ubuntu 16.04

On desktop Linux, I'd probably set the USB Bandwidth in the controls tab from 40 (now) to 100. Try to do that and see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, all looks good.
6 years 11 months ago #15782

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 87
As Jasem said, try to change the Bandwidth Setting. Mine works best at 40 value.
Also are you using standard or compatible firmware with your camera??? Others had problems with ASI cameras and the compatible firmware solved those issues.
I was one of them, never had such problems again. Also, do you have it connected to an USB HUB or directly to the computer? ASI Cameras have issues with certain chipsets and underpowered HUBS.

Here you have some example threads:

www.indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/1918-asi120mm-again.html
www.indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/1861-he...-failed-0.html#14005
www.indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/1656-as....html?start=24#13161
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Morgan
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by nMAC.
6 years 11 months ago #15793

• Thank you received: 3
Same bad result for bandwidth 100.
Not using a USB hub.
Tried all five of my USB ports (4 USB3 and 1 USB2)
Cold reboot of laptop, no difference.
This morning I received notification of updated INDI cmponents. Installed them... no improvement.
Plugged camera into Windows again and ran SharpCap...continues to work great...jotted down camera settings...plugged into Linux and set those values into INDI (most values are the same)...still not working.

To answer your question, nmac, I am using the firmware that comes prebuilt with the indi_asi driver that is available on the daily feed. Is that what you mean by "standard firmware". In one of the threads that you posted I saw a switch called "--compatible". Is that a compiler switch, or is it a command option on the INDI server?
6 years 11 months ago #15806

Just tried running indiserver as root...
sudo indiserver -v indi_asi_ccd
still not working.
6 years 11 months ago #15812

You need to flush your camera with the "compatible" firmware. Download the tool for Windows here: astronomy-imaging-camera.com/software/

I even had to do it for my camera before it starts working again. When you flush you camera, select the "-compatible" firmware version for your camera model.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thomas Jäger, Brian Morgan
6 years 11 months ago #15813

Success!!!!!
"compatible" firmware did the trick :woohoo:

The only remaining issue is color:
To see color I need to select "RGB 24" on the "Controls" tab (other values like RAW8, RAW16, and LUMA give me monochrome).
But when I select "RGB 24" and then "Stream On" or "Record (Frames)" I do see color video when I playback in the SER Player but the colors are wrong; RED is BLUE and BLUE is RED but GREEN is GREEN.
What is interesting is if I switch to the "Main Control" tab and click the button to expose a single frame. the FITS Viewer pops and shows the image in color with the correct colors!

Getting very close.

PS: With respect to "flushing" the firmware, does this mean that I need to carry a Windows laptop with me when I travel in order to flush the firmware periodically? There isn't a tool for Linux?

PPS: Why does "compatible" work and not the standard firmware? What are they doing differently?
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Brian Morgan.
6 years 11 months ago #15814

Take it for what it is worth (since I have very little experience so far)...

I ran similar tests on Win7 using SharpCap. What I found was similar with INDI in that:
1. RAW8, RAW16, and LUMA each playback monochrome using VLC media player.
2. "RGB 24" plays back color but unlike INDI it gets the correct colors!

One thing I noticed however was that when I acquired video in "RGB 24" using SharpCap it would drop frames at full resolution. My theory is that SharpCap is doing de-Bayering as the frames are acquired and written to the file. On the other hand, there is no such dropping of frames in RAW8, RAW16, and LUMA because SharpCap is not de-Bayering the video; we are relying on post-processing software like PIPP and RegiStax to do de-Bayering.

So my conclusion is that there might be a bug in the INDI driver when using "RGB 24"; it is not using GRGB.
6 years 11 months ago #15815

• Thank you received: 32

The debayer pattern in the INDI Control Panel, on the Image Info tab, was set to GRBG in your screenshot. Did you want GRGB? If so, try changing that.
6 years 11 months ago #15816

Hi rockstar, thanks for all your help. Sorry, that was a typo.

I need more time digesting Ekos/INDI to be confident in what I am doing. I still am having issues with color. For now I find SharpCap easier to use, and I do not have much time before sunset. I want to record the Moon, Mercury, and Mars with the 2.8mm-12mm f/1.4 lens that I purchased with the camera. We just had two days of heavy rain and the sky is very clear except for a few puffy clouds.

One thing I did find are "hot pixels" on the sensor. I will have to learn how to calibrate and subtract those out.
6 years 11 months ago #15822

• Thank you received: 32

Sharpcap is a good tool, especially for Planetary imaging. I use a Surface Tablet with Windows 10 on it, and I have Sharpcap installed along with Firecap and SGP.

As for the color in your images, I would say that you should post up the same FITS images that have the issue so someone can look at them. Hard to troubleshoot a problem without a sample of the data in question.

As for hot pixels and data processing, I use PixInsight, but that is a discussion for another time and place. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Morgan
6 years 11 months ago #15824

Perfect seeing conditions this evening. Waxing crescent Moon, 5% illuminated, lots of earthshine. This time of year at 40 deg north latitude Mercury easily visible against a dark sky. I took a dozen 100-frame video clips over the period of an hour with exposures ranging from 50ms to 1000ms. Tomorrow I will stack them and post the final images.
6 years 11 months ago #15829

• Thank you received: 87

Great, you have the camera working!

As far as I know there is no tool in Linux to do this. It must be made on Windows. BUT! You only need to make this procedure once. After that it should work fine. No need to flash it again. Compatible firmware changes the way USB transfers to PC are made. That's why it works. If I remember correctly, the image is split in chunks before being uploaded to PC.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by nMAC.
6 years 11 months ago #15840

Time to create page: 0.412 seconds