INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Live Preview - ASI1600MM-Cooled via RPi

• Thank you received: 11
Can anyone offer an insight?

I'm not having much success getting my ASI1600MM-Cooled to Live Preview when connected through my 'chained' RPi's. Long exposure imaging is fine with no problems but Live Preview just doesn't produce any stream nor save .ser file. The Live Preview Window stays dark, no FPS is displayed, I click record on/off and it says no frames taken, no frames saved.

It works perfectly with a direct USB connection via local host but doesn't when connected through the remote host.

Note: on the same rig my ASI120MM Guide Camera works great on the remote host, through the same chained RPi's.

If anyone has a similar setup I'd be grateful for your thoughts.
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
6 years 5 months ago #20027

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 53
Is it a bandwidth problem? May need to set the USB limit lower
6 years 5 months ago #20029

• Thank you received: 29
Hi - interesting to read, I am using the ASI074 and experience a similar phenomena, live view works initially, but when closing and restarting, the „no“ FPS (dark screen).

My set up though is different, connected the ASI directly to a laptop with USB 3.0.

Best, Helge
6 years 5 months ago #20046

• Thank you received: 2
I have those issues as well. Also using 2 ASI cameras. ASI1600MMC and ASI120MC
6 years 5 months ago #20064

I just tried with ASI120MM and ASI178MC-Cool both running on StellarMate. The ASI120MM streams just fine, but the ASI178MC-Cool is quite slow due to high resolution but it still streams. When I tried again, it initially didn't work but then streaming worked by itself after a while, I guess the queue is really full when sending high-rez images remotely.
6 years 5 months ago #20067

• Thank you received: 109
I guess that would explain why it does not work for me at all with a 16MP camera over wifi :)

My 2 MP ASI290 doesn't usually work either for what it is worth. There is ethernet in my future.
6 years 5 months ago #20070

• Thank you received: 11
Was out in the field two nights ago to capture an ISS Lunar Transit (final image attached). All set up and attempted another Live Preview from the ASI1600MM-Cooled, this time with the mount and camera using direct USB to laptop, but still no luck. (FYI: ASI120MM was fine in this setup).

Undeterred I disconnected the ASI1600 in the Indi Control Panel and switched to using Planetary Imager (Mount control remained via Ekos). Got a reasonably steady stream of 5 FPS at 16-bit recorded as .ser on the laptop.

Can anything be done to improve the Live Preview with high resolution images? If the .ser file is saved to Local would that help the preview? I presume the preview window is a low res copy of the frames being saved?
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
6 years 5 months ago #20079
Attachments:

Hi,

just tried to live stream to my rpi with the ASI1600MM-C.

In the first tries I ended up with the player window staying black and reporting about 1.1 fps.

After switching to binning 4, doing a preview, then trying to stream the driver even crashed.
6 years 5 months ago #20220
Attachments:

just did an other testing round

this time the live preview worked
the live preview after binning a single frame caused an other crash
6 years 5 months ago #20223
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 109
Can you tell a little more about your configuration? Are you running ethernet for example? I have never gotten my 1600 to stream, but I am currently stuck on wifi... fast wifi, but wifi all the same. On occasion I can get my 2MP 290 to stream, but usually only the first time. Any additional tries net the black screen.
6 years 5 months ago #20225

My Setup is a RPI3 with StellarmateOS.

ASI1600MM-C + ASI Filter Wheel, ASI-120MC (via the ASI1600MM-C usb hub)
Ekos/Indi running locally
VNC Desktop over 2.4GHz Wifi
6 years 5 months ago #20227

I've been thinking that one solution to this is instead of streaming raw full-res images, which is the reason why it's so slow.. Maybe we should encode them as a video stream.. something like libtheora (.ogv) and then send that blob over to KStars. Let me see if this sorts of thing is possible or worth it.
6 years 5 months ago #20228

Time to create page: 0.724 seconds