INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Which CCD/CMOS is the most reliable under indi?

• Thank you received: 223
Early next year I'm going to start a long term project (months of planning and research), from mount design and fabrication to enclosure etc... This is separate from my current remote observatory.
It is going to be about remote wide-field photography using camera lenses.

What I would like to know before I spend huge amount of money on the wrong CCD/CMOS camera is which one of the following main-stream manufacturers are the best under indi. When I mean best, not talking about which chip is better, but more of a driver reliability point of view.
  • QHYccd ? cmos
  • Atik ? ccd
  • Zwo (ASI) ? cmos

Due to short focal lengths for the camera lenses I will be using, 200mm to 400mm, I need small pixels size.
For example, my short list would be (needs more research):
Atik 490EX
Atik 383L Plus Mono (maybe)
ZWO ASI 178MM-Cool USB 3.0 Mono (and the non-cooled version)
ZWO ASI 290MM-Cool USB 3.0 Mono (and the non-cooled version)
QHY178M
QHY183M
QHY290M

thanks
6 years 3 months ago #21701

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 109
I can speak only for ZWO cameras, and can say that I have not had one single driver issue since I have started using INDI (about 1 year). I can provide only this data point though as the others I have not tried, and probably won't unless things change with ZWO. When I made my investment in cameras (3 so far), I stayed away from QHY because of their lack of support for the open source community. This may be changing a bit though, as there is now a new QHY driver in INDI as of the last week or two. Initial reports are saying it is working much better. As of today, ZWO has a better history of support. I didn't look at the Atik cameras, mostly because of price, and the chipsets were behind ZWO and QHY a little. They are now working hard to close that gap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg, Darren Enns
6 years 3 months ago #21711

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.364 seconds