INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Frustrated and Need Recommendation for Guider Imager

• Thank you received: 4
The map cannot be displayed, you haven't specified a location yet.
Hi All,

I am a bit frustrated. I working on the ultimate goal of using Kstars and Raspberry Pi/Odriod as a client for controlling my equiptment and imaging. I ordered a QHY5L-II-M as a replacement for the old Meade DSI pro. The QHY5 has issues with longer exposures and intermittent exposure reset errors. I have tried several things, but issue is still persists.

I am now looking for another guider camera replacement for the QHY5 as I've given up hope for now on the QHY5L-II-M. I am looking at the ZWO ASI120MM which seems like it would be adequate for a guiding. But before I invest in another ccd/cmos camera for guiding, what are others using here for guiding in the Raspberry/Odroid client configuration? By the way, the guide scope is a small 50mm f/3.2.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
6 years 1 month ago #23148

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182
Chris,
I feel with you! Look at my recent posts, describing my experience with a QHY5 (Orion Starshoot Autoguider) which matches your experience, and with an ASI120MM. Bottomline: I can confirm that the USB3 version of the ASI120MM (i.e. the ASI120MM-S) works for guiding under Ekos, but ONLY if the guide pulses are sent directly through the mount, not through the ST4 connection. I cannot get the USB2 version of the ASI120MM to work, which matches the caveat posted on the ZWO website, which states that the USB2 versions of the ZWO cameras do not work under Linux. However, I have a ZWO ASI1600MC-Cool Pro (USB3 version) and that works great, couldn't be happier.
Perhaps someone else can suggest another guide cam than the ASI120MM that works more reliably for ST4 guiding?
Good luck and don't let the skies cloud your mood!
Jo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christopher Kovacs
6 years 1 month ago #23151

• Thank you received: 809
Chris,

I currently use the exact Camera you mention, the ZWO 120 MM. It is an awesome camera and works great with KStars/INDI and my Raspberry PI. I am getting excellent guiding. I just. did a bunch of 10 minute exposures last night. I was using the Orion Shorttube 80 with it.

Thanks,

Rob
6 years 1 month ago #23154

• Thank you received: 809
I should also mention also that I was using PHD2 running on the PI controlled by KStars on my Mac. That has been giving me better results, which is why in December, I did a bunch of work to enhance KStars' PHD2 support.
6 years 1 month ago #23155

Can you try to use the internal guiding with ST4 cable using ZWO? I checked on my side and the ST4 pulses were fine. Please try to check with your setup to get confirmation.
6 years 1 month ago #23168

• Thank you received: 12
I haven’t had trouble with my RPi3 and QHY5L-II-M. RPi2 would have trouble with too much data being sent through the bus (that was when I used iAstroHub). I only do 1s exposures on my 50x200 guidescope. How long are your exposures?
Now, the usb3 based QHY163M that I have will drop the connection, likely due to bus saturation again on the RPi3’s usb2.
I’m going to upgrade to a Rock64 and see if that helps my situation.
6 years 1 month ago #23188

• Thank you received: 32
Seems a QHY5 has very variable experiences for people. I was one who never got it to work 100% properly, switched to a Lodestar, should have done that right away. :)
6 years 1 month ago #23191

• Thank you received: 4
I want to thank everyone who replied. Seems like a common problem with this QHY5 devices. Further investigating, it looks like the ZWO ASI120MM-S (usb3) is the way to go. I like the Lodestar guider, but a little too much money and I would like to save up for the ASI1600MM cooled with filters (or something equivalent). I have been away from the hobby for quite some time. I actually built two Richard Berry's Cook Book Cameras back in day and used them for many years; it's amazing how far things have come.

Cheers,
6 years 1 month ago #23239

• Thank you received: 182

With the ST4 and USB2 firmware update issues fixed, the ASI120MM (USB2 version) is a great deal right now. Highpoint Scientific is selling used ones for $89 at the moment. You won't need USB 3 for guiding.
6 years 1 month ago #23240

• Thank you received: 66
I use a ZWO ASI120mm without any problems but as I recall I had to update the camera firmware.

Here's some guidance from INDI folks: indilib.org/devices/ccds/zwo-optics-asi-cameras.html
6 years 1 month ago #23242

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds