INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Stock Lenses and Auto Focus

• Thank you received: 226
I was playing around with driving the focus motors in some camera lenses and they work great, just have to be in live view to make them work. However when I attempt to use EKOS Autofocus routine, rather than a straightforward capture, the camera's Focusing AI engages and begins searching for focus on it's own. So there appears to be something different in the way Auto Focus routine is triggering the shutter.
6 years 1 week ago #24355

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Andrew on topic Stock Lenses and Auto Focus

I should add I was using a Canon 600D and the GPhoto driver.
6 years 6 days ago #24439

Replied by Andrew on topic Stock Lenses and Auto Focus

Upon further experiments. I found Mirror Lockup has conflict with autofocus routine using a stock lense. Basically Live View is necessarily enabled for GPhoto to run the lense motors. With Live View on, the mirror is already up, so when a capture is triggered it attempted to take 2 pictures. This on it's own causes issues with an image stuck in the camera buffer. But furthermore it is on taking the second image when I saw the Camera's autofocus AI kickin.
After some more digging around I could avoid the autofocus AI by setting either AE lock/AF or AE/AF,no AE lock within the camera's custom functions. Great.

So the main takeaway is IF using EKOS to auto-focus a stock lense, at least on Canon, Do Not use Mirror Lockup.
Is there any way for GPhoto to know if the camera state is in LiveView mode? If that information is available to the driver, then a condition could be made not to use mirror lockup if set in that instance. This would also avoid backing up the image buffer by accidentally forgetting to close live view before taking a picture.
Last edit: 6 years 6 days ago by Andrew.
6 years 6 days ago #24468

Time to create page: 0.286 seconds