INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI GPhoto Driver v2.0

I think I fixed the Live Preview issue in this release that is available in the Nightly PPA packages. The other issue I hope it resolves is reports of ghost images that are returned to Ekos. Several reported these take X captures of object A, then they want to take Y capture of object B, but then they end up still getting images of object A. I really do not know what's the cause of this issue, and there is no way to reproduce it (if you know of a way, let me know!). So in this release, I delete all folders on the camera SD card just to ensure there isn't any when the next capture begins. Still, the problem could be elsewhere, so any help in describing and documenting this issue would be appreciated!
The following user(s) said Thank You: pauledd, gehelem, Paolo Casarini, Vincent Groenewold, Teseo, Andreas, Dennis Means, Tom
5 years 11 months ago #25159
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Replied by Alfred on topic INDI GPhoto Driver v2.0

I have re-produced a ghost picture a few moments ago (Canon 5D Mk2). It goes like this...

Go to CCD & Filter Wheel
set exposure to 5s
add this one to the sequence by pressing +
activate the sequence
you can hear the camera click, starting the exposure.
while the exposure is in progress (before 5s have passed) press the stop button (Status column now shows "Aborted")
no picture is being show
move the camera and aim it towards a different object
activate the sequence again
wait 5s until the exposure has been taken
The picture that is now being transferred and shown is NOT the most recent one taken but the one before

now switch the camera off. The camera display will show something like "recording... remaining pictures: 1"
the camera won't stop showing this message unless you unplug the usb cable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom, the.cakemaker
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Alfred.
5 years 11 months ago #25175
Attachments:

To be clear, I have not updated my system yet.

Also I'm curious to find out whether your modification has solved the liveview issue.
5 years 11 months ago #25176

Hmmm, I assume I should have noted that I did this test running indi_canon_ccd?

I have now done the exact same test running indi_gphoto_ccd and the result is different: I took the first picture, aborted, activated the sequence again and the photo that was shown then was the correct, most recent one. Remarkably, it took longer than normal until the picture appeared.

I then did the same thing again. This time the photo shown was not the most recent one but the one before. The picture didn't take as long as in the first attempt to show up.

I did the test for a third time and the result was the correct photo again and it took longer to show up just as it was the case in the first attempt.

I have no idea what it all means. I just hope these tests help tracking down the problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom
5 years 11 months ago #25182

• Thank you received: 15

Replied by Tom on topic INDI GPhoto Driver v2.0

So, now my question is should I use Gphoto CCD to test or Pentax DSLR option to test?
5 years 11 months ago #25192

Use Pentax.

I think I finally understand why you see the ghost images, it's because you abort capture, but the image is still getting saved to the camera so that next time you capture, this is what you get. So it seems on abort I should delete all the images, will try to do this tonight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teseo, Tom
5 years 11 months ago #25200

• Thank you received: 15

Replied by Tom on topic INDI GPhoto Driver v2.0

Thank you, Jasem
5 years 11 months ago #25203

I just fixed the "ghost" image problem. It was just an undeleted image from abort. Should be in the nightly PPA for testing.
5 years 11 months ago #25216

Jasem, I installed the nightlies a few minutes ago. I still get ghost pictures in both gphoto and canon drivers. The good news is the liveview issue appears to be solved!
5 years 11 months ago #25222

Please make sure you are indeed using the latest stuff! Try to git pull again and do a clean build and install. Enable logging, and if it fails, attach the log
5 years 11 months ago #25225

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic INDI GPhoto Driver v2.0

Jasem Please avoid this nuclear option. I have files stored on the SD card that I need for Magic Lantern software mods I use to work.
5 years 11 months ago #25247

I already reverted back this when I found out the actual reason for the left-over images due to abort.
5 years 11 months ago #25250

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds