INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ASI 120MM-S Not Working

• Thank you received: 19
Hi there.

It´s been a while since i was here. Got a new ASI 120 mm - SW USB2 Camera cheap.
Wanted to use it with a zwo guiding-scope to try out the internal guiding system of KStars.

Now the ASI appears in the system without problem, but i am not able to take a testshot at all. Whether when i connect it as a guiding-cam, nor as the main cam...

It just say capture timed out after a while...

Settings and all are ok and the cam is recognized problem free.

So you mentioned that i have to flash the cam first? What ist meant with flash? A firmware update?

I tried to find information bout that, but i can not find anything...

Could someone please help?

cheers
Niki
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 9 months ago #26390

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 29
Hi Niki,

In the profile editor, what are your settings for ccd and guider? In my case, I have an asi cam as ccd, and another asi cam for guiding. To get things working, I keep the driver for the guider ‘blank’, so only select zwo-ccd for the ccd.

There was no need for flashing the cam.

Best, Helge
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Helge.
5 years 9 months ago #26393

• Thank you received: 420
If it is a USB2 camera then it is an ASI120MM, not an ASI120M-S because that’s USB3. Please search this forum because there were several topics with the details for how to flash the camera. FYI I tried with mine and it didn’t work. In the end I bought a USB3 version and that works like a charm.

Clear skies, Wouter
5 years 9 months ago #26395

Hi there!

I managed to flash the cam. It is recogniced now by the system.
But there are some strange problems still ocuring.

1. Camera not working on my mac with ASICAP, the program ZWO gives us. I think the cam is not recogniced right, because it writes ASI 120MC, but the cam is a 120MM

2. In INDI, the cam is working and recognized right, but all pictures i take are just plain white, like totally overexposed. even if i close the guiding scope!

Some ideas?
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 9 months ago #26407

I am sure the answer is yes, but did you flash with the correct image? You need to use the mm image, not the mc image.
5 years 9 months ago #26411

I checked that today in the morning, and you are right, it was the wrong image. Flashed the right now, but unfortunately, no change. I still get a plain white picture.

Can i somehow check if the picture is overexposed, or just wrong?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
5 years 9 months ago #26415

What happens if you cover the lens or opening above the chip? Does the image become darker or black?
5 years 9 months ago #26416

Tried that, but still plain white.

BUT:

I had another go now in the evening, and tried around a bit with the settings. I set the exposure setting in the ccd module to the shortest exposure. And now i saw a picture! So the problem was extreme overexposure. Unfortunately in the guiding module, the shortest exposure is 0.02sec, and there, the picture is still white.

Maybe i try at night today.

What i know now, is that the cam works. Its just overexposed...
5 years 9 months ago #26417

• Thank you received: 66

You may have an ASI120mc. After a year I just discovered that mine is an asi120mc even though the box and camera body say ASI120mm. However I believe they have the same firmware update. You’ll have to investigate with zwo support site. Should work if you get the right update.
5 years 9 months ago #26422

• Thank you received: 1
I have a asi120mm (the old one, not -s), it can recognize by indi/linux, but can't capture image.
but the same camera worked well on indi/macos.
5 years 9 months ago #26423

What is EXACTLY the problem? Does it not capture at all, or is it capturing, and teh picture is black or white or something else?
Did you flash it? `cause before flashing, it did not work at all for me...
5 years 9 months ago #26424

[/quote]You may have an ASI120mc. After a year I just discovered that mine is an asi120mc even though the box and camera body say ASI120mm. However I believe they have the same firmware update. You’ll have to investigate with zwo support site. Should work if you get the right update.[/quote]

On the invoice it is called "ZWO ASI 120MM-SW"
On the cam there is written ZWO ASI 120MM

I accidentally flashed BOTH firmwares, first the MC, then the MM. Both worked.

So the cam now works on Windows with ASICAP, and on LINUX with INDI. But it does NOT work proper on my iMac with ASICAP.
Only when i set the picturesize to 320Xanything i see a livepicture
5 years 9 months ago #26436

Time to create page: 0.631 seconds