INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Not showing the FITS file as being from a One Shot Colour (OSC)

• Thank you received: 11
Hi,

I'm super new here, so apologies if this is an obvious question. Quick overview of my setup. I've got a ZWO ASI1600MC Pro Cool, a one shot colour cooled camera and am driving it with KStars/EKOS on a Stellarmate with a Mac driving that. All this is now going pretty well and I'm impressed at the sophistication and ease of use of it all as a newbie.

The first processing I did I noticed that images I processed was always in monochrome (Nebulosity and AstroPixelProcessor). I checked with someone and they opened up a FITS image in pixinsight and were able to de-bayer it OK. So yes I realise I need to de-bayer a colour image, I thought though the FITS file would say in it somewhere "hey I'm a colour image" and even better "here is my bayer pattern". I can't seem to find that setting in the settings page in INDI to do this for the ZWO ASI1600 (see attached screen shot. one quick point on this image is that I'm now using 16bit RAW, not 8bit RAW as this image shows). I posed this question to the folks at AstroPixelProcesser (hoping to make this my main processing tool for now) and they mentioned that might be a setting I can use that loads some metadata into the FITS file that tells whoever image processor software you are using that this is a colour image and not a mono one. The answer so far is to "force" the processing software to be in colour VS it being able to figure out from the FITS header that its a colour image. The screen shot attached is from astropixelprocessor (APP) that shows on the right that all the subs are *grey* and have no CFA data in them. This is what I'm looking to see if there is a way in EKOS to tell it "hey write that into the FITS header" when the image is captured. I hope this makes sense.

Is there such a setting in EKOS? or do I have to simply tell the processing software to always "force" it to process it as a one shot colour image and list the bayer pattern?

Thanks in advance. Craig
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim
5 years 8 months ago #26914
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 109
I currently tell APP to force CFA and give it the bayer pattern for my 1600. It would be nice to have it do this automatically because sometimes I forget to set that and it can waste a lot of time depending on when I finally catch it. It is not a habit for me because I also have the mono version where no extra settings are needed.
5 years 8 months ago #26939

Agree, this is what I did for a day (and it was driving me nuts trying to figure it out) as I forgot to tick the "force CFA", but had the right bayer pattern selected, so I thought I was good to go. It would be cool, if EKOS could put that meta data into the FITS frames.
5 years 8 months ago #26953

I ended up contacting ZWO support over this one. The answer wasn’t as I’d have preferred. They responded with words to the effect of “we have tested with KSTARS/EKOS and have seen this information in the FITS header and you should be able to do this”.

I then asked, well, if you’ve tested this, what settings did you then use in there to make this work and haven’t had a reply yet. I’ll update this thread if I do hear back.
5 years 8 months ago #27384

What's metadata is exactly preventing APP from recognizing this as a bayered image? There is BAYERPAT keyword in there which should be set to RGGB in your case. What else is required?
5 years 8 months ago #27390

• Thank you received: 109
@pug916 I loaded some of my FITS files into imageJ to view the header, and it does look like everything is there that should be needed. Have you asked Mabula to take a look at this thread? He is quite responsive.

Jim
SIMPLE  =                    T / file does conform to FITS standard             
BITPIX  =                   16 / number of bits per data pixel                  
NAXIS   =                    2 / number of data axes                            
NAXIS1  =                 4656 / length of data axis 1                          
NAXIS2  =                 3520 / length of data axis 2                          
EXTEND  =                    T / FITS dataset may contain extensions            
COMMENT   FITS (Flexible Image Transport System) format is defined in 'Astronomy
COMMENT   and Astrophysics', volume 376, page 359; bibcode: 2001A&A...376..359H 
BZERO   =                32768 / offset data range to that of unsigned short    
BSCALE  =                    1 / default scaling factor                         
INSTRUME= 'ZWO CCD ASI1600MC-Cool' / CCD Name                            
TELESCOP= 'EQMod Mount'        / Telescope name                                 
OBSERVER= 'Unknown '           / Observer name                                  
OBJECT  = 'M8-Lagoon'          / Object name                                    
EXPTIME =         3.000000E+01 / Total Exposure Time (s)                        
CCD-TEMP=            -1.51E+01 / CCD Temperature (Celsius)                      
PIXSIZE1=         3.800000E+00 / Pixel Size 1 (microns)                         
PIXSIZE2=         3.800000E+00 / Pixel Size 2 (microns)                         
XBINNING=                    1 / Binning factor in width                        
YBINNING=                    1 / Binning factor in height                       
FRAME   = 'Light   '           / Frame Type                                     
FILTER  = 'Lum     '           / Filter                                         
XBAYROFF=                    0 / X offset of Bayer array                        
YBAYROFF=                    0 / Y offset of Bayer array                      
BAYERPAT= 'GRBG    '           / Bayer color pattern                            
FOCALLEN=             6.54E+02 / Focal Length (mm)                              
<location data removed>
AIRMASS =         2.522428E+00 / Airmass                                        
OBJCTRA = '18 03 50.48'        / Object J2000 RA Sexigesimal                    
OBJCTDEC= '-24 20 44.03'       / Object J2000 DEC Sexigesimal                   
RA      =         1.806402E+01 / Object J2000 RA                                
DEC     =        -2.434556E+01 / Object J2000 DEC                               
EQUINOX =                 2000 / Equinox                                        
CRVAL1  =     2.7096031948E+02 / CRVAL1                                         
CRVAL2  =    -2.4345562673E+01 / CRVAL1                                         
RADECSYS= 'FK5     '           / RADECSYS                                       
CTYPE1  = 'RA---TAN'           / CTYPE1                                         
CTYPE2  = 'DEC--TAN'           / CTYPE2                                         
CRPIX1  =     2.3280000000E+03 / CRPIX1                                         
CRPIX2  =     1.7600000000E+03 / CRPIX2                                         
SECPIX1 =     1.1986850002E+00 / SECPIX1                                        
SECPIX2 =     1.1986850002E+00 / SECPIX2                                        
CDELT1  =     3.3296805562E-04 / CDELT1                                         
CDELT2  =     3.3296805562E-04 / CDELT2                                         
CROTA1  =     2.7621400000E+02 / CROTA1                                         
CROTA2  =     2.7621400000E+02 / CROTA2                                         
DATE-OBS= '2018-07-12T05:39:40.889Z' / UTC start date of observation            
COMMENT Generated by INDI                                                       
GAIN    =                  75. / Gain                                           
END                                                                             

------------------------------------------------------
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Jim. Reason: formatting
5 years 8 months ago #27402

I did get in touch with him and the answer was to tick "Force CFA" when you load the image for processing. It doesn't seem that AstroPixelProcessor will recognise that these are colour images automatically in spite of that information being enabled and the FITS header having the right bayer pattern described in it........
5 years 8 months ago #27431

I can confirm this issue with latest PixInsight... what property is pixinsight missing? Maybe it's as simple as they're not trimming the string when they do a comparison?
5 years 1 month ago #34427

Jim,

Can you please post this issue on PixInsight forum and follow it from there?
5 years 1 month ago #34428

Time to create page: 0.580 seconds