INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Weather Radio doesn't compile cleanly and other Arduino Issues.

• Thank you received: 42
As far as I know nothing else is needed. The name of the file is not important, the startup procedure works through the .rules files in the directory. I think for testing you can run the starup manually with:
sudo udevadm control --reload-rules && udevadm trigger

Working with just one device plugged in at a time and just one of the two entries in the .rules file.

lsusb shows you the 2341:0043 identifying the Arduino?
ls -l /dev shows you the Arduino as /dev/ttyACM0?
There is no sign of /dev/roofCtrl?

If the one device does not show, remove it and try the other one and switch them in the rules file. You should be able to see one of the devices in the /dir and then be able to make some impact with the rules file. Once you can tell that the file is being seen and can make a difference it might be easier to figure out what is going wrong.
1 month 2 weeks ago #99621

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
So my mistake, when you do ls/dev/, I still get the old Arduino port names, which I hadn't expected, however, the new names were there. With both ports plugged in the Rolloff roof connects and the driver works as before, the weather station does not.

I have not been able to get any of the arduino-based weather stations to work at all, even without the roof.

I might have to buy the Lunatico AAG CloudWatcher Cloud Detector. What do people think? Acxtually, I think it's probably better for rain, which I think the Arduino doesn't do well and wind.

Kind regards

Steve.
1 month 2 weeks ago #99634

• Thank you received: 42
Yes if the ls -l /dev/roofCtrl you will see it just links to one of the /dev/ttyACMn connections. Same with the one assigned to the weather nano.
So hopefully you can now communicate with both drivers and not have to deal with confusion between the when making the initial connection.

I don't have anything to offer with the choice of weather station. But if I followed along right you have fixed the build errors you were having on the Arduino side and can receive JSON strings at the driver. You mentioned timeout warnings and partial strings. So you might be getting close with the Weather Radio? Assuming you are past the obvious things like baud rate settings perhaps being specific with what you are seeing and posting the logs and examples of the partial JSON strings might assist those with Weather Radio installs to understand where you are with the debugging.
There is also apparently the option of using WiFi with the Weather Radio.
github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty/blob/ma...adme-WeatherRadio.md
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephen Cookson
1 month 2 weeks ago #99645

So I'm alternating between WeatherRadio and indiduinoMETEO, they both seem to have the same problem. If I use METEOtest, all the hardware works nicely through the Serial connection. When I switch back to either of the other ones, the driver doesn't connect. Also there is nothing in the logs. I've switched on all the options I can find, like 'verbose' etc. The baud rate is set properly, but the connection tag is red. As far as I can see the difference is firmata. Indi-rolloffino also does work and that doesn't use firmata.

I feel a bit lost.

I could potentially hand-roll my own third party driver based on the indi-rolloffino driver, but it seems like a lot of hard work. That's why I'm thinking of moving away from INDI-duino to Cloudwatcher etc. And obviously there is a cost involved.

Kind regards

Steve.
1 month 2 weeks ago #99660

Actually, there is something in the WeatherRadio log, but not InduinoMETEO
INFO	136.229156 sec	: Session log file /home/pi/.indi/logs/2024-03-10/indi_weatherradio/indi_weatherradio_15:24:34.log
DEBUG	136.229227 sec	: Toggle Logging Level -- Driver Debug
DEBUG	136.229319 sec	: saveConfigItems
DEBUG	136.229899 sec	: Configuration successfully saved.
DEBUG	196.262588 sec	: Sending query: w
INFO	203.292517 sec	: Failed to receive full response: Timeout error. (Return code: -4). Retrying...
INFO	208.296450 sec	: Failed to receive full response: Timeout error. (Return code: -4). Retrying...
INFO	213.301532 sec	: Failed to receive full response: Timeout error. (Return code: -4). Retrying...
DEBUG	213.301593 sec	: Reading weather data from Arduino succeeded.
DEBUG	273.324881 sec	: Sending query: w

1 month 2 weeks ago #99667

• Thank you received: 16
Actually I'm successfully using RollOff.ino (with some modifications) with my long-standing roof controller built around a R-Pi. I've had to bring out the relevant lines and attach them to an Arduino (a Nano 33 BLE in my case) but it all works fine. I'm also using a weather input -- in my case (for now) the WeeWX driver, where the WeeWX is running on a R-Pi too (reading from a Davis thingie).

However I have a CloudWatcher, which is much more adapted to an observatory: the rain sensor is much, much more sensitive. There is a driver for that in INDI, but I want to make a new driver. The latest version of CloudWatcher includes an SQM-quality light meter. I am the author of the macOS version of the CloudWatcher app and I have agreed with Lunatico a new format for the JSON file produced by their(Windows) and my (macOS) app. This includes the SQM value too.

I want to write an are INDI driver for this but am having trouble making a build environment on macOS. Then I will have to face the problem of getting JSON data from a file instead of via TCP.

But we will get there eventually !

Cheers,
Richard

PS: I recommend Lunatico's CloudWatcher - it's sensitive and well adapted to observatory use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephen Cookson
1 month 2 weeks ago #99672

Hi Richard,

Thanks for that.

I thought I might get a quick and dirty weather station going, but it's too hard, and doesn't really include rain, which is the must-have component.

My rolloff.ino software seems to work in a test rig, so I can start to implement that.

Then I'll go the Cloudwatcher route. Do you have the Cloudwatcher on the RPi as well?

Thanks for that,

Kind regards

Steve.
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Stephen Cookson.
1 month 2 weeks ago #99683

Do you have the Cloudwatcher on the RPi as well?

That's an interesting question. The IDE I use for CloudWatcher can build for R-Pi as well. In fact it's what I use for my R-Pi-based roof controller. So I'm pretty sure I could build a version quickly. But my past experience is that spacings and text sizes are not the same on macOS and Rasbian. I would have to change every one of them manually, and there are thousands of them ! Otherwise the quick working version would be unusable because it's illegible.

But I'll give it a try,

The other thing is that the macOS app is not free -- I have to cover the cost of the 99€ annual fee to remain an Apple developer somehow. But the R-Pi is a different ecosystem and, if I can find the time to do the port, it'll be free for R-Pi.
1 month 2 weeks ago #99687

There is already a CloudWatcher AAG INDI driver for RPi, so it should be OK.

If it doesn't work, I'd like to know before I go down that route!!

If you're able to give it a spin, I'd love to know.

Kind regards

Steve.
1 month 2 weeks ago #99688

There is already a CloudWatcher AAG INDI driver for RPi

I know there is, but (a) it doesn't support the new SQM ability, (b) it needs a direct connection (serial via USB) to the R-Pi. This is fine if you have no other use for the CloudWatcher.

But the native (Windows) CloudWatcher app, and my macOS one, both support remote use via a dedicated transfer file, and they use the same transfer file so can interoperate. So you can have a Master version running in the observatory and a client running in your office, and the client(s) can have independent parameter setting so, for example can respond to different thresholds. They also both generate a range of additional files like the ClarityII (Boltwood) format files.

In fact I will test the R-Pi function exactly in this remote/client setup.

So I want to keep my CloudWatcher hardware with its present connections and that's why I want to write an INDI driver which uses the JSON file instead.
1 month 2 weeks ago #99689

It turned out to be much more work than I expected to get the R-Pi version working. CloudWatcher on the Mac uses scripting for many features which, in an INDI environment, will be handled directly by a client. So I've stripped them out, which removes a potential major headache oil porting.
But, it's been in development for well over a decade and uses various things which are now defunct, or were never available on R-Pi (these are mostly to do with preferences, of which there are hundreds). So I've had to rewrite quite large bits of it. Now it's working, but it still has the GUI peculiarities which will need tuning and adjustment. So, a work in progress, but, there is progress !
1 month 1 week ago #99805

Hi Richard,

That sounds great. I have the Weather Radio Arduino bit working perfectly. The Json seems fine, the INDI client connects and recognises it, but Ekos doesn't seem to collect any data. I don't really understand what's going on.

I'm going to send you a PM.

Kind regards

Steve.
1 month 6 days ago #99836

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds