INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

GUIDING Issue

• Thank you received: 5
Hi,
After being able to do off-line resolving with astrometry.net I try the next challenge. GUIDING

Capturing picture is fine.
First I did capture and resolve until the picture was within less than 30 arcseconds in the center of the image.
Under EKOS guiding the brightest star is still in the center. I try to have a box of 64 pix wide in order to be sure that the star can move in the box and return to the center.

After capturing, I start calibrating.
When the system arrives at 100% I get a message popping up stating: Guide RA: Scope cannot reach the start point after 30 iterations. Possible mount or drive problems.

I un-check the 2 axes check-box and repeat the procedure. Now it gives me the same message but after 12 iterations.

I have selected as guiding camera the ZWO ASI 120MC as only possible option.
For VIA I have two options, or the ZWO camera or the EQMOD mount. I tried both but no difference.

Is there something wrong with my mount?
How is it than possible that the capture and resolve function with GOTO slews my scoop to the star so fine in the center of the image. How should I interpret this?

Before I slewed to the middle star in Cassiopeia within 12". Now I am on Vega spot on in the middle of the image within 2". Is there then really an issue with my mount?

In the mean time I am guiding on Vega with exposures of my camera of 2min. Without calibration. I will see what the result is on the pictures and report back.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Stefan
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Stefan Nonneman.
7 years 7 months ago #9763

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic GUIDING Issue

One question, do you have an autoguider cable connecting your camera and mount directly (not the USB plug)? If not, then you cannot send the guide commands via the camera, they would have to be sent via the mount connection. If you do have that cable, you can do so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan Nonneman
7 years 7 months ago #9768

Replied by Stefan Nonneman on topic GUIDING Issue

OK, now I understand.
What is the difference in performance? I have an ST4 cable but if it works well via the USB why using another cable.

In any case the calibration seems not to work as far as the GUI explains.
I have now observed the system's behavior and the guiding hooks off after 9min.
I have no selected the Via EQMOD Mount and I cannot say it works well.
7 years 7 months ago #9769

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic GUIDING Issue

I actually cannot say for sure. I have a Losmandy Mount and I just send the guide commands through the mount since it is already connected. I have never tried guiding with ST4 commands from the camera. I might do so to compare the performance, that is a good idea.
7 years 7 months ago #9770

I have just connected the ST4 cable. Still not calibrating. It is the Declination axis giving problems.
But I think I found the reason. I listened to the mount and it was whispering as it usually did. It was tracking.

I went to the control panel and switched of the tracking by clicking slew. Going back to the guiding tab, I started calibrating and now it is working. Calibration of the two axis is fine now and when guiding it locks on 10" at the Y-axis.

My conclusion is that when starting the guiding, the tracking is not switched off. Good to know but not evident.

Will take a few pictures and see what the result is.
Time to go to bed. I will report back tomorrow evening if the weather is OK (forecasts are good anyway). Thanks a lot for the assistance :)
7 years 7 months ago #9771

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic GUIDING Issue

There is Guiding log in KStars Options that you should enable and it will add guiding log to your kstars log in ~/.local/share/kstars/logs, so enable that. But as general rules
1. Better Polar Alignment
2. Set binning to 2x2
3. Select different filter (e.g. High contrast) and see if that makes a difference to bring down the noise.
4. Smaller Square Size.
5. Play with DEC Proportional Gain or disable DEC control completely and see the difference.
6. Leave algorithm to default value (Smart)
7 years 7 months ago #9777

Thanks Jasem, I will check as you suggest and as far possible. The binning and the logging I will do straight away. I suffer from a lot of light pollution and think I need to buy a clp filter.
As far as alignment is concerned, my setup is not a fix one, so I need to repeat the alignment every night I take my gear out. I have never done it so I need to learn.

Could you confirm that I need to stop tracking in the control panel before being able to start guiding on 2 axes, or is that all done via the log enabling? That would surprise me, but it all depends how the system works, of course.

Regards,

Stefan
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Stefan Nonneman.
7 years 7 months ago #9779

No need to stop tracking. There is the Guide module documentation right here. Probably needs an update.
7 years 7 months ago #9780

• Thank you received: 11

Replied by Klaus on topic GUIDING Issue

Is it necessary (or of any help) that the guider ccd rows are parallel to the RA axis or does it simply not matter?

CS
Klaus
7 years 7 months ago #9785

No that's irrelevant, the guide ccd can be oriented at any arbitrary angle with respect to RA axis.
7 years 7 months ago #9786

Excellent. See there are a few settings I was not aware of and affecting my situation.
Thanks.
7 years 7 months ago #9788

Time to create page: 1.724 seconds