INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Seeking tips for imaging with schedule and sequences for EFW

• Thank you received: 375
Why would you do it this way? Just run Lum x 13, SII x 13, OIII x 13, Ha x 13
7 years 1 month ago #14822

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 24
By looping a sequence of filters, there is a greater chance of getting complete sets.

The other day of the 13 OIII, only one was usable due to passing clouds. Yet, the other filters were able to get 10 of the 14 as usable.

If the sequence of one per filter was done, there would have been at least 7-8 complete usable sets verses only one OIII.
7 years 1 month ago #14823

• Thank you received: 375
Clouds are clouds. Filters will not help with them. Running session as you describe makes things really complicated. Just think of filters that are not parfocal i.e. you need to change focus everytime you change filter. At the end of the day or night you need to collect necessary number of each wavelength to reduce noise so I would advise to use standard approach, which is a kind of standard among astrophotographers - collect reasonable number of luminance frames first (Lum or Ha or both) and collect color next.
7 years 1 month ago #14824

I agree with Radek, I wouldn't do it this way. I always capture each filter in complete set (usually a day for each filter). At any rate, I can see how "Repeat X times" can be useful for this or any other applications, so I added it to the scheduler.
7 years 1 month ago #14825

Thank you Jasem.

If I could count on more than on clear night in a row I would do as you both suggest. It is what was previously done. Now I wait for another clear night to get last filter.

On the cloudy days this can allow me to learn pix with a few images and understand how to add more data from different days.

I will prioritize the Lum/Ha first though as you suggest. Then pickup sets of colour.

Cheers!
7 years 1 month ago #14831

Jasem,

The repeat for sequence runs has been working great.

Is it possible to have this added on the CCD tab?

I am not always able to get the Scheduler to work. Align, tracking are working great now. Finding a guide star with the OAG often make the sequence fail.

When this happens the Mount tab works great to push the view slightly to find a star. Once found, with everything set, the scheduler needs to be edited so it does not track, align or guide. This past weekend, this would not work due to my faults during setup (accidentally had the RPI3 update Kstars location which just added to the issues).

If the CCD sequence could be triggered to run sequence, it would help greatly given the limited clear skies.

Thank you,
Stephen
6 years 11 months ago #16229

I'm not sure I follow.. you want to run the sequence and repeat it?
6 years 11 months ago #16232

Yes.

An example would be setting up a sequence of LRGB filters for one exposure each and then repeat the sequence X times, or until something stopped it.

The goal is to get enough images with each filter in one night to do some stacking. Then to add to the stack as additional clear skies come along. The scheduler has worked well, until I encountered the scenario above. If there is another way to do though, please let me know.

If there were 3-4 clear nights in a row it would not be a concern, as I would just load up each night for one filter only. For months now is has been partial night every 1-2 weeks.
6 years 11 months ago #16235

Yes.

An example would be setting up a sequence of LRGB filters for one exposure each and then repeat the sequence X times, or until something stopped it.

The goal is to get enough images with each filter in one night to do some stacking. Then to add to the stack as additional clear skies come along. The scheduler has worked well, until I encountered the scenario above. If there is another way to do though, please let me know.

If there were 3-4 clear nights in a row it would not be a concern, as I would just load up each night for one filter only. For months now is has been partial night every 1-2 weeks.
6 years 11 months ago #16236

This can be done with the scheduler. Just turn all steps "off" and select repeat X times.
6 years 11 months ago #16237

I did try this. The scheduler would not work as reported a warning about the altitude of the object being too low, went to sleep and scheduled it for the next night.

The Altitude check was off though, and the schedule was set to go ASAP.

I know I had an issue with the location, plate-solving was working and centring. It was just the schedule would not go.

Any ideas?
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Stephen.
6 years 11 months ago #16238

I just tested it (under Simulation) and it appears to be working fine. If it complain altitude is too low, then there is a problem either in Ekos, or it is in fact too low for imaging. Ekos logs would help in this case.
6 years 11 months ago #16259

Time to create page: 0.773 seconds