INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Autofocus failure is aborting exposure

• Thank you received: 375
I faced an issue during an imaging session last night. I was capturing light frames so I configured a session with Ekos CCD module, using "Autofocus if HFR >" feature (as I always do). I never toggle Auto Select Star in Ekos Focus module so I can select a star at the beginning of a session. So far it worked OK, however last night session was aborted. I reviewed the logs (attached) and see following scenario:
  1. Focus deadlock reached so focuser is moving back to initial focus position
  2. Restarting autofocus process
  3. Capture complete. Select a star to focus.
  4. No star was selected. Aborting
  5. Autofocus failed. Aborting exposure

Until last night Ekos focus module was keeping a star manually selected at the beginning of a session and in case of failure it restarted with the same star subframed. What happened last night was an initial full frame image was captured in focus module and it was waiting for user input to select a star. No preselected star was used and the capture was not subframed with prefailure bounding box. I assume that using Auto Select star would avoid getting into this situation. However the question is why the preselected star is not remembered. Any ideas?
6 years 7 months ago #18493
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thanks for the report, I'll investigate this behavior.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek
6 years 7 months ago #18501

So in 2.8.1 the behavior is that after the time out, it will select the previous spot if no user input is received.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek, Jim
6 years 7 months ago #18672

Thanks for the update. I will test and let you know how it goes.
6 years 7 months ago #18691

It looks like the issue is resolved. Thanks for that!
What I've been facing recently is non-critical issue (it does not abort anything), which I cannot trace down and cannot figure out where it comes from i.e. in the Ekos CCD I sometimes get these:
Restarting capture attempt #1
Capture failed. Check INDI Control Panel for details.

However there's no log entry in any driver or KStars/Ekos that would give me a hint what's happening. I guess it might be related to unsuccessful focusing during a session. Do you have any idea?
6 years 6 months ago #18953

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Full-frame FWHM

Same issue here: most often (but still not often) it is the very first capture fails an restart. I originally thought the cause was in the Atik driver, because occasionally I've seen it die simultaneously, but no other hint yet.

-Eric
6 years 6 months ago #18963

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds