INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Built in guider won't calibrate

• Thank you received: 11
FWIW:
Does the mount actually move when the RA Forward action is sent
May try calibrating on the ecliptic to avoid issues closer to the celestial pole
Increase the minimum pulses maybe
Is the FITs folder location receiving the first image ok
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
6 years 3 months ago #21785

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 109

Replied by Jim on topic Built in guider won't calibrate

The calibration had been working for the last 9 months. This was a recent development when it stopped. PHD is still able to calibrate and track without any issues at the same place in the sky. I don't think it gets far enough to move the mount, though I have not been at the mount when this is happening. I would say this change occurred on Dec 10 or right around there.

I just tried the simulator. It does the same thing there. And now that I think about it more, wasn't calibrate its own button on this screen before?
6 years 3 months ago #21787
Attachments:

I just tried the Guiding using a Simulator setup, clicked on the Guide button, Ekos went through all the RA and DEC calibration, completed and guides continuously as expected.

The only thing different I did was manually select a star not Auto.
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
6 years 3 months ago #21796

Good to know, thank you. I wonder if this started when I went with the OAG and my guide scope is selected as the same as the imaging scope. I will play with that a little more as well.
6 years 3 months ago #21797

Tried with auto star on and off. Here are my settings screens for the simulator. It is still hanging.

6 years 3 months ago #21798
Attachments:

and the scope settings

One other thing just occurred to me. I am having this issue on both machines I have tried it on, but they are both Fedora. I wonder if something could be wrong with the build?
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Jim. Reason: thoughts
6 years 3 months ago #21799
Attachments:

How can devices you have in the "Via"? I has a problem similar to this that I fixed in GIT (but not yet published in PPA).

EDIT: Ok I triggered KStars PPA build, see if that resolves this issue for you.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
6 years 3 months ago #21800

Upgraded via PPA moments ago; Guiding Calibration and Auto Guide works fine. I also notice the Drift Graphics, Drift Plot and RMS fields are now dynamic which wasn't the case earlier.
6 years 3 months ago #21807

• Thank you received: 809
Are you saying kcobby that you had the Drift Plot on your screen before your last update, but you couldn't zoom in and out on it? That is strange I both added it and made it zoomable in the same patch!
6 years 3 months ago #21808

No rlancaste. I'm saying the Drift Graphic was a flat line, the Drift Plot showed no motion at all (didn't try to zoom previously) and the RMS fields were xxx out. All works super fine now.
6 years 3 months ago #21809

Yes, so it seems the simulator was not a valid test. That should have been the telescope simulator. With my real equipment, it is set to EQmod mount.

With Fedora, I use the lupinix packages, so will have to wait for him to pick up the change or compile from source. To stay consistent though, I should wait for the package as it would be one less variable. Thanks for looking into this everyone.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Jim. Reason: clarifications
6 years 3 months ago #21813

Tonight, the clouds finally parted, and I was able to set up and try to gather some data. The internal guiding was driving crazy. I had gotten it to work on a laptop, but still not on my main desktop where I do most of my astro work. I think I finally have found a correlation between having the check box selected for dithering when not guiding, and the guiding not calibrating.

My assumption was that if I check this box I would get dithering when I did not have guiding set up. This would be great for shorter exposures. I also figured that if guiding was set up or was being set up, this check box wouldn't do anything. I think I was just using it wrong, or have uncovered a bug. Either way, when I uncheck the box, the guide does the multiple captures and drifting exactly how it used to.

Hope this helps somebody else.

Jim
6 years 3 months ago #21900

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds