INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Did EKOS guider option 'via' change?

• Thank you received: 6
I had some problems again guiding via ST-4 using PHD2 and lin_guider from Raspberrypi (setup below).

ITrying to debug decided to try the serial cable using EKOS 'intrernal guide' knowing that II never resolved the issues last year (link below).

However I couldn't get to testing because I cannot choose 'via' option in the EKOS guide tab, I want

'via : SKYSENSOR'

It will only allow me to set:-

'via : SX CCD LODESTAR'

The skysensor loads in EKOS correctly and I can move the mount via EKOS mount control. I've set the skysensor to 'guider OFF' and even pulled the ST-4 cable out. I see in the EKOS log screen that ' Guider port from SX CCD LodeStar is ready'

Am I missing something or is this option no longer available i.e. guide via serial cable?

Thanks
Andrew

setup Jan 18
========================
Client side
Ubuntu 17.10 (linux 4.13.0.32)
Kstar 2.9.2 Kstars-bleeding 5:17.12
Libindi1 1.6.3

Server via wifi Raspberrypi 2 - Ubuntu 16.04 powered USB hub
Libindi 1.6.3
indi-gphoto 1.6
indi-sx 1.12

(sudo indiserver -vvv indi_gphoto_ccd indi_sx_ccd indi_lx200ss2000p)

Orion Optics 200mm F/4 SN with GP-DX mount
Skysensor2000pc, RS232 serial/USB FTDI converter
Canon 60Da
Vixen 60mm F/7
Lodestar x2 autoguide custom ST-4 cable into SS2k

old issue last year:
www.indilib.org/forum/mounts/1821-skysen...dec-not-in-logs.html
6 years 2 months ago #22726

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So Guider is INTERNAL? Are you sure? and with INTERNAL guider you cannot select Via?
6 years 2 months ago #22728

Well I did select "Guiding:Internal" in the Profile editor, saved and connected as usual. Normally this would be set to PHD.
I double checked just now to see if the setting was saved, it is. I did log the whole session, would that be useful?
6 years 2 months ago #22730

Let me understand the problem exactly. So now under "Via" combo box, you have two options ("SX CCD LodeStar" and "SkySensor") but you cannot select SkySensor? what happens when you select it?
6 years 1 month ago #22743

• Thank you received: 809
You said you had some problems guiding with PHD2 and linguider before you started discussing the internal guider and its settings. I did a bunch of work over the holidays that hopefully would solve a bunch of problems with PHD2 communications with Ekos. Was this before or after PHD support was improved? Were the guiding issues related to PHD2, or the PHD2 communications with Ekos?
6 years 1 month ago #22745

Thanks for looking Jasem, the problem is that there is no selection, the box is pre-filled with SX CCD and no selection is proposed.
I know in the past I could select either SX CCD or Skysensor.
6 years 1 month ago #22751

I think I saw some of your work PHD output in EKOS, it looked very nice since the graphics needed some work, but I didn't see it yet working.:-( , hopefully I will soon and can contribute some feedback.

My previous issues were from a year ago, Jan 2017, and were specific to using PHD and the Skysensor in serial (RS232) mode, PHD setup with no 'on-camera' setting so that SX CCD as guider and mount as Skysensor. But actually I had same problem with 'internal' guider. I still suspect the skysensor driver has minor bug in guiding.
The link I gave (www.indilib.org/forum/mounts/1821-skysen...dec-not-in-logs.html) is the whole debug story.

I keep sane because I can still switch back to windows/ASCOM without touching the system and happily guide BUT INDI/EKOS is a better system overall.
6 years 1 month ago #22752

• Thank you received: 809
Gotcha. Well, I don't know much about the sky sensor driver, but I can tell you about the PHD2 connection and the "via" option.

So if you are using PHD2 to guide, the "via" combobox is meaningless since PHD2 is handling all the guiding and it decides where to route the guide commands. Changing this in Ekos does nothing when using PHD2. In PHD2, you can configure which cameras and mounts you are connected to and where the guide commands are sent. So if there is a problem with using the Skysensor when using PHD2, either PHD2 is configured incorrectly to use Skysensor, there is some sort of connection issue, or there is an issue with PHD2. It is not possible for Ekos to tell PHD2 how to send guide commands since that is not a function of the PHD2 remote interface.

On the other hand, if you are using the Internal guider, (as you have been discussing with Jasem) then that combo box is very important because of course it will determine how guide commands are sent. Any possible method of sending guide commands including from all connected mounts and cameras with guider ports should show up in that menu. If it doesn't show up for SkySensor, then yeah, this is a problem and Jasem can help you with that. So please feel free to carry on the discussion ;-). I just wanted to clear up anything that I could help with regarding PHD2.
6 years 1 month ago #22755

Ok the mount driver did not define pulse guiding this is why. It is fixed now and should be available in tomorrow's PPA update.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
6 years 1 month ago #22760

Thanks rlancaste, that is clear and understood regarding PHD. Can't wait to see it in action.
6 years 1 month ago #22778

Thanks Jasem, will check, maybe by this weekend and happy to find that issue.

While I have your ear - in the past when we looked at these Skysensor driver issues you mentioned that pulse driving had been deactivated, you switched it back along with a precision parameter too. Could you just double check and reconfirm that it is still enabled?
6 years 1 month ago #22779

Oh I don't recall that?? so I disabled SkySensor pulse guiding on purpose before? You have a link to that discussion?
6 years 1 month ago #22808

Time to create page: 1.416 seconds