INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Moonlite Focuser Mac/EKOS

• Thank you received: 139
I just got a new Moonlite focus controller (V2) and stepper motor. It's connected via a serial cable from the motor to the controller, then the controller has USB2 out that goes to the computer. When I try to connect in EKOS it says it's connected via /dev/cu.usbserial-A10725B4. I have been able to get EKOS to move the focuser one time. By putting in presets for position 1, 2, 3 and I can move it to position 1 and 2 which I set at 200 and 4000 respectively. I set position 3 at 15000 and a max position of 28125, which is the max travel of the 4.5" draw tube in the focuser. When It works, it seems to move to those positions as set. It took me about 3-4 tries before.I got a reliable connection working where I could give it commands and it would respond.

I get continual Errors in the log window for updateTemperature error: Timeout error, and updatePosition error: Timeout error. If I lose connection, I have to remove the USB cable, the serial cable, and controller power to reset the motor/controller. Just unplugging USB does not reset it. The software (EKOS) also requires a restart.

I tried to turn on Debug, but it immediately shuts off, and doesn't allow me to log any errors.

How can I get it to stop reporting position and temperature errors, or report the correct information? Also, what are the Relative and Absolute position settings for? Is there anything else I might need to do to set it up the first time? I've not used a focus controller before. Is there any way to set the zero point? Or do you just start with the focuser racked all the way in?
6 years 1 month ago #23157

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The debug log is controlled from Ekos now, not INDI directly. Check my signature for a video HOWTO on how to enable this. Can you also post screenshot of MoonLite INDI control panel? The main control tab, connection tab..etc. I'd like to use these screenshots to update the documentation.

Once you post the log, I can investigate more.
6 years 1 month ago #23170

Here's my log and screenshots. During this session it seemed to stop responding after several move commands. I tried to disconnect and reconnect to it during the log session.

Thanks for the help.

File Attachment:

File Name: moonlitefocuser.zip
File Size:655 KB
6 years 1 month ago #23174
Attachments:

How is your Celeston GPS connected? serial port as well? If yes, I don't see it detected?
6 years 1 month ago #23175

I didn’t have any other equipment connected. I was just trying the focuser after installing it.
6 years 1 month ago #23177

Well, create a new profile then with only Telescope Simulator + CCD Simulator + MoonLite, and try that. Maybe because Celestron GPS was trying to use the same port, it was causing issues.
6 years 1 month ago #23179

Ok, I’ll attempt one with only the Moonlite, and one with everything connected to be sure there are no issues.
6 years 1 month ago #23180

Here's all the equipment connected. Moonlite will not connect now at all. I've provided a new log, plus new screens of both connection windows for the Celestron AVX mount and the Moonlite.

Thanks.

File Attachment:

File Name: Moonlitewithgear.zip
File Size:361 KB
6 years 1 month ago #23187
Attachments:

Also, here's a report of what is on the USB hub.

File Attachment:

File Name: USBDevices.rtf
File Size:7 KB
6 years 1 month ago #23190
Attachments:

Thanks for the logs. I think you should start with something simple. Only connect MoonLite, and create a profile with Telescope & CCD Simulator plus MoonLite, and then try that. From the logs, two usb serial devices are there. Did you install the MacOS drivers for these USB to Serial adapters from FTDI?
6 years 1 month ago #23208

Ok. This time I set it up with a CCD Simulator, Telescope Simulator, Guider simulator, and the Moonlite. I Rebooted, unplugged all devices, and rest the Moonlite motor by unplugging it from everything and plugging it back in. When I booted up went into EKOS and started INDI, the focuser would not start. I logged this session. Stopped INDI, and I tried to clear out the USB port connection information on the Moonlite connection tab. Then I quit EKOS, reset the focuser again, and then loaded up EKOS, started INDI, and it worked this time. I copied the USB settings from Device Profile, and took another log, moved the focuser a bit, then exited EKOS. All the information is attached.

I did previously install a driver for the USB-Serial cable I use to connect to my mount and control it. I believe I installed the Prolific driver from www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=229&pcid=41 , but it has been a while. The USB Serial cable I'm using with the mount is from Sabrent .

Thanks, Let me know if I need to provide anything else.

File Attachment:

File Name: Moonlitewi...tors.zip
File Size:197 KB
6 years 1 month ago #23211
Attachments:

You're getting resource busy error, so perhaps something in MacOS is using this port? I'm not sure what do suggest otherwise.
6 years 1 month ago #23214

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds