INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Announcing Ekos Live

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Announcing Ekos Live

I can see a use case for this. However, for the time being, I will work on the cloud deployment aspect. Maybe I can release a future version for offline use!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gehelem, Teseo, T-Studio
5 years 9 months ago #26644

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

You need to use ekoslive branch:

git.launchpad.net/kstars-bleeding/log/?h=ekoslive
5 years 9 months ago #26645

• Thank you received: 29

Replied by Helge on topic Announcing Ekos Live

Will definitively give it a try, - even if I may not need it! ;)

Thanks btw for all the updated tutorials on YouTube which are are great reference!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
5 years 9 months ago #26656

Ok, so I'm still working on the development part, but I'd like to get some feedback on the "Cloud Storage" idea.

So how would Cloud Storage be useful? What are use-case scenarios for it? Some might think that "Cloud Storage" is a solution looking for a problem, but I assure you it is not. Most folks, myself included, use some processing software to work on the image. Personally I've been using PixInsight for a couple of years and love it. Therefore, most of the data are calibrated, registered, and then later cropped..etc before the serious work begin on them, so what would cloud storage add to this?

Keep in mind that the storage capacity required to save such usually large images can ramp up to be in the gigabytes easily, and while online storage services are becoming cheaper these days, it still can get pretty expensive to save all these images online especially when they're usually used once. This is why I decided to check on the community before moving forward with this idea. Besides discarding the cloud storage idea altogether, I'm thinking of two approaches:

1. Store everything in the cloud
So raw images (FITS/CR2..etc) are stored online along with e JPG preview, thumbnail, and metadata. Ekos Live users can see a "gallery" of images (thumbnail size), and when they click on an image they get the full-sized JPG preview, and at their option, they can click on some button to download the "raw" image (FITS/CR2..etc).

This would act a backup online for all captured images.

Pros:
1. All captured images are saved online and accessible to download from anywhere and anytime, with possibility to share the link with other users and/or social sites.
2. Ability for advanced search. For example, the user can filter images to only show those images taken between date X and Y, in the H_Alpha filter.

Cons:
1. Storage size can ramp up steeply only after a session or two. Even if each user is given 10 GB of storage space, it's going to be filled up pretty quickly given the size of raw images.
2. Requires a VERY reliable and fast internet connection and bandwidth to upload the raw images immediately after capture.

2. Store only JPG in the cloud

So in this option, the raw files are never uploaded, only the smaller JPG (with thumbnail) is stored on the cloud.

Pros
1. Storage requirements are now less demanding and more reason and can sustain the user for a very long time.
2. Bandwidth requirements on the user side are less demanding as a result.

Cons
1. No access to raw data, just the rendered previews from Ekos.

So what do you guys think?
5 years 9 months ago #26721

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by Patrick on topic Announcing Ekos Live

Option 1 : is an interesting idea, but I agree with the fact that you can saturate quickly the quota of storage allowed.
Option 2 : Personally I don't see any interest in this option.

Might it exists a non destructive compression for raw or fits files. that might give a better interest to option 1 ?

One idea, very often the digitization of the light signal is done on 10, 12 or 14 bits so there is 6 to 2 leadings bits usefulness. Why not trying to pack the datas ?
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Patrick.
5 years 9 months ago #26729

• Thank you received: 95

Replied by Oleg on topic Announcing Ekos Live

You can try my open project Astronomy Linux
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
5 years 9 months ago #26730

Compression is of course an option. I'd like to gather more feedback on this.
5 years 9 months ago #26732

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by Patrick on topic Announcing Ekos Live

It took a look on the fpack utility. It is very effricient on fits files. Reducing the size to half "in a trice" with the Hcompress algorithm on the images I tested.
5 years 9 months ago #26736

• Thank you received: 95

Replied by Oleg on topic Announcing Ekos Live

IMHO, each image in Cloud Storage must have its own access rules ("for all" and "only for owner").
You can try my open project Astronomy Linux
5 years 9 months ago #26738

• Thank you received: 370
Fully agree! Having a EKOS web frontend for my PI would be fantastic! Having a cloud service is not my major focus.

Wolfgang
5 years 9 months ago #26782

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Announcing Ekos Live

That's an interesting piece of software there. I am probably missing something, this will connect to my own observatory right or else?
5 years 9 months ago #26783

Yes, it will connect to anywhere where Ekos is used. Still working on the cloud storage bits now. Hopefully it is ready for beta testing in July.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gehelem
5 years 9 months ago #26786

Time to create page: 0.783 seconds