INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Announcing Ekos Live

Gooood news everyone!

So I think I'm ready to test EkosLive Beta. So please understand that this is a beta program and is not stable, so use it as such. To enroll in the beta, you need to use KStars from Nightly PPA build.

1. If you already purchased StellarMate Gadget or StellarMate OS, then send me a private message with your StellarMate username and email, and I'll send your further instructions.
2. If you are not a StellarMate user, you can register as the website, and then send me your information in a private message.

I'm looking for no more than 5 testers at the moment as it will be overwhelming to enroll more at this stage. One step at a time!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oleg, gehelem, Jim
5 years 8 months ago #27531

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

And here is the video tutorial for EkosLive:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Oleg
5 years 7 months ago #28289

• Thank you received: 109

Replied by Jim on topic Re:RE: Re:Announcing Ekos Live

Good stuff. I am finding it very handy (when the skies cooperate)
5 years 7 months ago #28388

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Announcing Ekos Live

Hello Jasem,

A supper cool feature that would be amazing to have in Ekos live , the ability to stack the images taken from a sequence.
5 years 7 months ago #28397

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Announcing Ekos Live

That's actually one the first features I had in mind, but due to time constrains I couldn't add it in. It's definitely something I'm looking forward to.
5 years 7 months ago #28398

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Announcing Ekos Live

I have played with command line image stacking on Linux a long time ago, you do need CPU power..., I believe there is a post somewhere in this forum with links about this.

Siril comes to mind, I used that one.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Gonzothegreat.
5 years 7 months ago #28399

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by kamisan on topic Announcing Ekos Live

Jasem,

You wrote: " I'm sure there are other use cases, maybe for EAA as well (I plan on adding live stacking later)."

Just know that the demands of EAA go well beyond Live Stacking. There will be endless demands for Photoshop features. I, being a newbie to INDI/Ekos, may not understand how easy it might be to implement, considering what I've seen so far regarding interoperability with other applications like PHD2, etc. You are in a better position to know what it involves. I am saying this as a first-hand observer of how demanding EAA users can be. That is why I am looking to transition away from SharpCap -- too much EAA, too little traditional AP.

Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
5 years 2 months ago #33996

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Announcing Ekos Live

Thank you for the feedback.. I am in the camp of the traditional AP so not very well versed in EAA. Can you summarize what is expected? Appreciate it.
5 years 2 months ago #34013

Peruse the feature suggestions at your leisure:

forums.sharpcap.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=17

Unfortunately the posts are not tagged as EAA or AP but most are EAA in my opinion.
5 years 2 months ago #34031

Jasem,

These are my observations of EAA vs AP. Please accept my apologies if anyone reading this is offended by my assessment.

Practitioners of AP approach their craft like they would reading a fine novel. It is something that is generally done in private. Practitioners of EAA do things in public and seem to relish large audiences. It appears to be a social media phenomenon.

Somewhere it must be written that devotees of EAA must never consider exposures any longer than 15 seconds even if it can be shown that it can dramatically improve their images. You will be rejected outright by suggesting such heresy. As a corollary to this fact the followers of EAA always end up under-utilizing their equipment. In my opinion they need an f/2 scope to get decent images at 15 seconds.

All must be accomplished in real-time or near real-time according to EAA. This means that the process of capturing, stacking, and Photoshop-like processing must be done incrementally as the stream of image data arrives. Also important, all must be accomplished within one application or perhaps multiple applications that are seamlessly connected.

EAA people tend to spend gobs of money on their equipment because they are constantly under-utilizing it. In my opinion this is one big reason why manufacturers push EAA so hard: it enriches them.

Thanks for listening.
5 years 2 months ago #34033

Jasem,

Here is a list:

* Capture to a single color channel.
* Live Stack post processing.
* Color balance. Simple RGB sliders to correct color balance independently of the camera settings.
* Automatic noise reduction.
* Sharpness adjustment.
* De-ringing.
* Saturation adjustment.
* Histogram slider buttons – improve appearance.
* Color correction for 8 and 12 bit RAW, use the 12 bit mode for live stacking and get realistic colors.
* Drift graphs, allow undock and pin. Button to reset and clear.
* Use live stack offline.
* Auto flip for meridian change.
* Option for display controls, apply to individual frames.
* Overlays and drawing tools for broadcasters.
* HDR stacking.
* Auto white balance button for live stack histogram.
* Live stack notepad.
* Window color for live stacking.
* Remove the last stacked sub-image in case of an airplane, satellite etc.
* LRGB live stacking.
* Live stack, automate ‘save’ every X minutes.
* Undo last frame from stack.
* Clean video without menu or borders for video broadcast.
* Save as viewed to include display histogram.
* Gradient removal in live stack.
* Log feature for live stack histogram to adjust sliders.
* Map controls (especially the histogram and color balance controls during live stacking) to programmable keys on the keyboard. For EAA would be so nice to change the histogram without fiddling with the mouse.
* Live Stacking could be made to present a color (or false color) image built up from multiple stacks from different filters on a monochrome camera.
* Live stacking there is an option to save the individual frames, but at the moment all the frames are saved. Would it be possible to have the option to not save frames discarded by the FWHM and Brightness filters.
* Automatic hot pixel removal during stacking.
* Save drift to log when live stacking.
* Annotate the processed image.
* Fine color adjustment in live stack.
* Include the stacking quantity and the total stacked time in the bottom bar.
* Gradient slider in the live stack histogram.
* Undo last stack.
5 years 2 months ago #34035

• Thank you received: 31

Replied by Khalid on topic Announcing Ekos Live

I am wondering if there is any progress on Ekos for EAA like features.

By "EAA like", I mean that there are many definitions, and the one a few comments up from here is just one of them.

For me, "EAA like" means that I mainly observe from a desktop remoting into a laptop that is connected to my AP capable mount. However, I don't do any post-processing or stacking of the images I take. I don't have the skill for this, nor the time. I am happy with observing images as they come. I don't guide, and am able to take 3 or 5 minute images that way (the key is OnStep as a mount controller. Check it out, it is worth the effort. Also, check my album of unprocessed images ).

My setup is built with KStars/Ekos/INDI at its core.

If Ekos can do some stacking, and stretching to get better images, that would be a welcome addition to the tool kit. Something like what SharpCap does.

Any progress on this, without the need to do it on the internet?
4 years 7 months ago #41673

Time to create page: 0.575 seconds