INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

What's next for EKOS?

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic What's next for EKOS?

From a non-technical perspective, I think that EKOS (and Stellarmate) need a lot more advertisement. I am a little miffed that ZWO essentially copied your immensely successful platform to launch its ASI air.

astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product/zwo-asiair

From what I can see, this is basically a copy of Stellarmate.

What you may need is getting featured on a platform like Astrobackyard, where Trevor Jones has teamed up with Ontario Telescopes to build a large community of followers, which I am sure has turned out immensely profitable for them.
Astrobackyard was actually pretty much the first platform I found that helped me get into astrophotography when I was starting from scratch last year. It was only in October 2017 that a friend at the local club here told me about Indi/Ekos. I had not found it on my own.

If you can get Trevor to take up and try Stellarmate, visibility will increase astronomically (pun fully intended).

Thanks again for everything you are doing here. I wouldn't know how to live without Indi/Ekos these days (metaphorically speaking, of course).

Jo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg
5 years 6 months ago #29003
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 420
I second El Corazon's advise. The latest Astronomy Technology Today magazine edition features a story about "PRISM Advanced v10: The Do-Everything Program" and my first thought was "hey that's what Ekos can do and then some but then on any platform and not just Windows"!
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
5 years 6 months ago #29004

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic What's next for EKOS?

Thanks, I'll go ahead and contact Astrobackyard. I think the problem is that I priced StellarMate so low that advertisements might end up costing a lot more that I can afford. This is still a one-man side project and not a fully fledged company with a lot more resources to put in such campaigns, but I'll give it a go and see what happens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
5 years 6 months ago #29005

Astrobackyard is not a company. Basically, it is a YouTube and web blog of an enthusiastic self-taught astrophotographer, Trevor Jones. When I first found out about him about a year ago, he had 70 followers on YouTube, now he has more than 20,000. If you can get him to try out StellarMate and report on it on his AstroBackyard channel and on his FaceBook page, you will likely get more orders than you can manage.
Trevor will always report exactly what he finds, including the things he likes, but also what he dislikes. He is not a commercial advertiser, and if he uses StellarMate and tries it out, it won't cost you anything (except for the one box you need to ship to him).
5 years 6 months ago #29006

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic What's next for EKOS?

Ok great, I sent him an email so we'll see.
5 years 6 months ago #29007
  • Thank you received: 54

Replied by gehelem on topic What's next for EKOS?

I've experimented live stacking a few days ago by calling Siril with a script after each frame.
It does align and stack (sum).
The tricky part is to display and refresh live frame.
"Python work in progress"

If anyone is interested i'll open a new thread.
In french :
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
5 years 6 months ago #29035
  • Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic What's next for EKOS?

@Gilles la vidéo est très intéressante (et les commentaires priceless).
The following user(s) said Thank You: gehelem
5 years 6 months ago #29036
  • Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic What's next for EKOS?

Most of us had the idea to install and INDI server on a micro-computer like this, but it takes effort to bring it to the commercial market. When you look at it closely, ASI Air is actually copying Atik Air, not Ekos. It happens to use the OSS component that is INDI. If we introduce live stacking, we'll also be copying Atik Air, which somehow was copying DSS Live before...

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
5 years 6 months ago #29037

Replied by gehelem on topic What's next for EKOS?

Interested in a new topic ??
5 years 6 months ago #29038

Maybe I'm a little overprotective, but I believe in giving credit where credit is due. Especially when it comes to exploiting open source software for the commercial market, restricting the use to a particular brand and then copying even the exterior of the box, which is what most new users will associate with the brand.
I am well aware how much work is required to bring a product to market, but the honest way would still be to give proper credit. Or at least use a different packaging.
But maybe I am just too naive.
5 years 6 months ago #29039
  • Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic What's next for EKOS?

ben oui...
I did like that video of live stacking, pretty cool.

ps.
as I'm French, quite easy to understand the video...
5 years 6 months ago #29045
5 years 6 months ago #29048
Time to create page: 0.479 seconds