INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Cannot launch KStars through VNC

• Thank you received: 420
Strange that a second window manager is created. As I said, I use vino and make sure that
- the Odroid user get automatically logged in
- vino is a start up application for the Odroid user
- vino is configured NOT to use encryption

And then I can connect to the same instance as when an HDMI cable is connected. The xorg.conf file I use is
Section "Device"
Identifier      "ODROID"
Driver "armsoc"
Option "Debug"         "false"
Option "DPMS"          "false"
    Option      "NoFlip"    "false"
Option "NoHardwareMouse" "true"
    Option      "NoG2D"     "false"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier      "Default Layout"
Option "BlankTime"     "0"
Option "StandbyTime"   "0"
Option "SuspendTime"   "0"
Option "OffTime"       "0"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Mode            0666
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier      "Default Screen"
Device "Mali-Fbdev"
DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
            Virtual 1400 1050
        EndSubSection
EndSection

and I don't use xrandr.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
5 years 6 months ago #29477

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
Thanks wvreeven. I tried Vino, and it works perfectly well, i.e. the screen is replicated on the VNC client (I just needed to disable encryption in Vino as the encryption method is not supported by the traditional VNC clients). However Vino does not work for me since it requires to have a Gnome session opened on a connected screen and I want to be able to use the Odroid headless. This is why in a first place I turned myself to a VNC server that supports XVnc... So I am still stuck at the moment with the X11 error and my best chance might be to downgrade the Qt layer.
5 years 6 months ago #29478

• Thank you received: 74
be careful you haven't got more than one server running or even installed !!!!
I use x11vnc (there are too many to choose from - typical Linux :-) ) headless but with a dummy HDMI else I get a slow screen when no HDMI attached. I start up my Up Core headless wait for the network (ping address until it appears) and then do my VNCviewer from my Laptop/Desktop or whatever (mixture Windows vista,10) - it works

I normally use Realvnc server ,as per RPI, as it works everytime but could not successfully get this to work on the Up Core.

Hope you get sorted with something that works for you - clear skies
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 6 months ago #29480

• Thank you received: 94
Hi everyone
latest kstars from nightly ppa.
Not sure whether this is relevant for the OP's 16.04 but in 18.04, there is screen sharing. I can start kstars from my android tablet; I just grabbed the first vnc app I found in google play. HTH.
5 years 6 months ago #29522
Attachments:

Thanks alacant for your answer. I think this is the same as vino in Ubuntu 16.04 (see the post from wvreeven above). This works well, but you need to have a display connected to the Odroid (or any other platform running KStars), it does not work for a headless platform.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive Stachon
5 years 6 months ago #29548

• Thank you received: 94

Hi. Just plug a cheap adaptor into the hdmi.
HTH.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by alacant.
5 years 6 months ago #29549

• Thank you received: 74
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationYou dont need a display or a display adapter ,as Alacant suggested, you just need a Dummy HDMI plug like this (wasn't allowed an ebay link so google dummy hdmi plug)- it fools Linux into thinking there is a real monitor connected and so gives you headless platform. I know because I use one with my Up Core - its not perfect as the refresh rate can be seen but it gives you a workable headless set up quickly.

If you can then find a better way great please post one that works for ALL Linux platforms - Holy Grail would be easier to find LOL
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Clive Stachon.
5 years 6 months ago #29551

Thanks to bot of you. Yes, I reached the same conclusion, I am going in a first time to plug a dummy HDMI plug (just a few Euros). I will however continue to monitor the issue in case I can find a solution. Thanks again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive Stachon
5 years 6 months ago #29553

• Thank you received: 420
I am using my Odroid without an HDMI dummy or real display connected via VNC all the time without problems. For this I use the Xorg.conf file I posted earlier. Doesn’t that work for you?
5 years 6 months ago #29556

Yes, thanks, I tied the Xorg.conf file you provided. It actually prevented my main screen to work as I think all the settings do not apply to my configuration (I just got a black screen on the main display). But this is a good point, if you tell me it works for you with a headless configuration, I will definitely investigate more and test some of the parameters you have set. I'll keep you informed. Thanks again.
5 years 6 months ago #29585

Time to create page: 0.845 seconds