INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

kstars/ekos bleeding hangs indefinitely - Xenial (mint variant)

• Thank you received: 20
The summer storms are finally over and it's time for imaging!

I've had problems getting kstars to build so reverted to the bleeding builds on my Mint system running Xenial (up to date). To be safe, I reinstalled indi-full and kstars-bleeding (apt-get install --reinstall ...), including indi-*.

What I am experiencing is roughly as follows (running from console):

- kstars starts, hangs ~ 20 seconds, at which point the following message is output. After the message is output kstars (not ekos) seems to run OK
Gkr-Message: secret service operation failed: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

- Start Ekos - seems ok
- Start INDI - launches the control panel, devices connect. System operates for up to a minute, then kstars hangs. I can reproduce this with real hardware as well as with the simulators
- On occasion, if I close the control panel immediately, I might get a job started. This is very hit and miss, usually ends up with a hang.

I grabbed gdb output (attached). Note that I had to interrupt the process as kstars/ekos just hangs indefinitely.

A quick test starting indiserver externally to ekos seems to help. Need to test this a bit more to confirm.

EDIT: Running an external indi server does not help. Second log file attached running an external server.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Greg.
5 years 6 months ago #29617
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 46
Hi schwim,
I did some googling about the problem and found this, bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/1689825

Br,
/Markku
5 years 6 months ago #29620

Markku,

Thanks for digging that up. It is possible this is related to the start up problem of kstars but I'm not sure. I managed to get commit fe37827 to build and install properly. For this commit the start up problem does not occur. Also, the first time I received the error I also received an application pop up to configure KWallet, which I did. Doing so didn't help.

The hang after the start up occurs after a bit of use as described. It also happens in commit fe37827 (at least) but not as consistently. I managed to get a run through using that build, but it seems unstable all around.
5 years 6 months ago #29626

So I think that KWallet and/or keyring have something to do with the issue..
I've never had any reason to mess with ant of them so I'm not really sure how to solve this.

You could type the command : ps ax | grep keyring
and see what you get, in my Ubuntu it looks like this

2238 ? Sl 0:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login
4082 pts/0 R+ 0:00 grep --color=auto keyring

so the gnome-keyring-daemon must be running for things to work as normal, another thing I thought of is if you have autologin enabled or do you have to enter your password to login when booting your computer ??
If autologin is enabled you can try disabling that ? but I think if something is corrupt then it would be impossible to login again.. so I'm not sure that would be so great :(

Another test would be to create a new user to the system and make a try with that and see if things work out ??

So in worst case I would suggest a reinstall.

Br
/Markku
5 years 6 months ago #29636

I believe I've solved my problem.

Building the latest from git this weekend I experienced the same behavior as I described above. I created a new user, added all of my equipment in Ekos, and things seemed to work. So I decided to start deleting things. In the end, deleting the following folders and file fixed the freeze issues:
~/.local/share/kstars/*
~/.local/share/kxmlgui5/kstars/*
~/.indi/
~/.config/kstarsrc

The unfortunate side of this is that I had to reconfigure everything to be where I needed it, but at least it's working now.
5 years 5 months ago #31230

That's great, now just wait for clear skies then :)
It's a bit boring to have to reconfigure again, but sometimes there will be some changes to the configuration in new versions so it's a good thing to do anyway.
5 years 5 months ago #31258

Update - the problem came back last night. The system seems to have hung mid job and only captured one image. On re-launching kstars things seemed fine. On starting Ekos, again things were fine. On starting indi, after a short period the whole thing froze up. I repeated this several times.

After a bit of short testing I found that removing the file ~/.config/kstarsrc allowed things to operate again. Testing another run tonight.
5 years 5 months ago #31317

Time to create page: 0.797 seconds