INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 87

Replied by nMAC on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

I am trying to follow Jamie script and get all the dependencies installed first and that's the more dificult part. Some of those are not available on the servers and I have to install them by hand. The majority is compiled from source but it's a time consuming routine. When they are ready I will give the script a go to see if it works.This is more a proof of concept but I would be good to have a build on the PPC platform. I know thare are still a lot of people who owns PPC's, If it compiles, I will have to see if that option is viable in terms of performance too. I have dual boot to Ubuntu 16.04 PPC, I already built it from sources and it works fine on my model (1.6Ghz/2GB Ram). So I belive it will also work fine on PPC OSX too.

Thanks!
Nuno
7 years 2 months ago #14418
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 812

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Does home-brew not work on ppc's ? I thought it took the source code and compiled it for whatever processor/computer you have? Maybe I just haven't had a powerPC for too long to remember.
7 years 2 months ago #14419

Yes it does but some of the servers that had the source code were disabled and there's no mirrors.
So I have to find the code and put it in the right place by hand.
7 years 2 months ago #14424

Does the PPC version require different source code? Sorry I am confused because home-brew installs most of what we need and I thought it started with the source code which is platform independent. If home-brew works on my computer shouldn't it work on a PPC? Maybe I am just not getting something important. . .
7 years 2 months ago #14425

Yes, it does require older libraries because XCode is also an older one, and some of them do not exist anymore on the servers.
I am also getting errors compiling some of them so it won't be an easy one!
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by nMAC.
7 years 2 months ago #14426

The most annoying errors in my view are the KF5 errors that look something like I show here below. If you see this, you probably need to install the KF5 packages in a different order, but you might have to use brew link -overwrite to get them to link correctly! Emerge/Craft avoids all of that hassle.

Last 15 lines from ~/Library/Logs/Homebrew/kf5-knotifyconfig/01.cmake:
Could not find a package configuration file provided by "KF5Completion"
(requested version 5.30.0) with any of the following names:

KF5CompletionConfig.cmake
kf5completion-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "KF5Completion" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
"KF5Completion_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files. If
"KF5Completion" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it
has been installed.
7 years 2 months ago #14428

The ones I am having are way more complicated I just realized the most recent source code, like DCRAW, is calling functions that
are only available for 10.7+ XCode and there are no replacements for that on older version, so, no KStars on PPC :-(
Ohh well at least I tried :-)
7 years 2 months ago #14430

I have a new DMG for everyone to try.

One of the most important changes is a very new one. I added support for cameras for which you do not have a driver available on the local machine. There are several that we either cannot or do not know how to build on OS X (or Linux for that matter). There are also several that the Cloudmakers have built but we can't seem to get it right. So I rewrote some KStars code that will allow us to have the xml files present so that we can remotely connect to these sorts of devices even though we don't have the binary driver on the local machine. My code will basically prevent these drivers from appearing in Ekos in the profile editor in Local Mode, but in Remote mode, they will all show up but have a special icon.

**** Please note: This does mean that If you want to "locally" host a ZWO Camera, an SBIG camera, a DSI Camera, or several others on your Mac, you will probably want to use the Cloudmaker's Indiserver app to host them. In KStars/Ekos, you would connect to them as a "remote" connection even though they are on the local machine. If somebody wants to work on how we can get some of these cameras (which we know for a fact do actually compile on OS X) to compile using our build script, please feel free to try! Just to make it clear, my fix will make it possible to host these devices on something like a raspberry pi and connect to them if the driver is not available on your computer. It also makes it possible to connect to a Cloudmaker's Indiserver that is serving up the devices even though you might not have the driver in kstars.

Additions/Improvements in this version of the DMG
This version adds an astrometry options editor to make that easier to use.
The equatorial Grid Routines have been overhauled and are now much more accurate.
It adds pinch zooming capability to HFR Plots
It also adds range dragging to the Guide and HFR Plots
It adds the Dark Library viewer in Ekos options.
The default size button for fitsfiewer now has a more accurate algorithm.
Jasem's Polar Alignment Helper now works very well.
Also he did some great work with Live Video sub framing and DSLR options.

And much more!!

NEW KSTARS DMG 2017-02-15
The following user(s) said Thank You: nMAC, Oliver
7 years 2 months ago #14511

Hi! Tested yesterday everything works as it should,well almost all. Some great features you added.
One thing I noticed there's only one Zwo driver (nice special icons too :-) ), there where two before, so , working fine
Astrometry option dialog works great. Nice and helpfull. This time autofocus works (only in Low Memory Mode) but can't keep the iteration as reported on another thread. But again,not exclusive to MacOS.Dragging plots works too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob Lancaster
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by nMAC.
7 years 2 months ago #14578

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Getting this problem in craft, in both Jamie's script and also my own craft stuff:

paste.kde.org/pg8nbk00a

Any ideas?
7 years 2 months ago #14627

We have another new DMG for everyone to test! We are thinking of doing an official OS X release possibly tomorrow because most of the bugs appear to be all worked out.

New KStars DMG

I did some major work with Astrometry Options this week, adding the ability to edit Astrometry.cfg in the program and a viewer that will let you see which index files are installed along with recommendations. Jasem also edited my options editor and made it easier to use.
I also did some minor bug fixing for OS X here and there.
Both Jasem and I also did some overhauling on the script to streamline it, make it not require completely reinstalling everything every time, and also fixing an error I had made in the path names in fix-libraries. We will post these changes to the gist within the next couple of days.

Plus many other little changes were made to the KStars code in the last week.

If anyone could do this, could you do a fresh install test? In order to do that, you need to either delete or rename the following files (renaming them would allow you to go back to your previous KStars data directory after you test this by just naming them back):
~/Library/Application Support/kstars
~/Library/Preferences/kstarsrc

Note: to test Astrometry.net you will need to be sure to turn of the "NoFits2Fits" option in the astrometry options because the version of astrometry is newer and doesn't use that option. The plan is to turn it off by default in the release.
7 years 1 month ago #14794
  • Thank you received: 9

Replied by Adam on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Hi,
I just recompiled KStars on my Mac and encountered two issues:
First, Kstars does not find "baseclient.h" when compiling because when installing libindi, the file is not copied to the libindi include directory and has to be moved there by hand.
Second, the default directories for the external astrometry-net are changed to /usr/ rather than /usr/local/. This results in errors of KStars not finding the config file and the binaries. Afterwards, the astrometry options panel gets greyed out and hence the paths cannot be changed.
7 years 1 month ago #14806
Time to create page: 0.410 seconds