INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

The main problem is that when a process is launched from a QT program, such as an indi server, or Astrometry solver, the environment variables are not the same as they are when you launch the same program from the command line. I am fairly sure this is done for security reasons. My solution has been to just add the environment variables that you need in order to make the program work when the process is started by KStars. Basically we just need to know what environment variable is missing.
6 years 9 months ago #17482
The topic has been locked.

By the way, if you would like to try, since I know you already have QT and all of the software installed on your computer to try this, you might try adding an environment variable or two and see if it works. The relevant file is KStars/INDI/ServerManager.cpp. Approximately Line 85 or so. You will notice there I added some lines for environment variables for GSC, GPhoto cameras, QHY, and the indiprefix. I do have an ASI camera but not an ASI filter wheel. So I can only test the camera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric Vickery
6 years 9 months ago #17483
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by Robert on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Hello,
I have followed the instructions and included the Kstar logfile as well as some screencaptures.
After I started the indi server via Terminal I started the Canon 700D and Kstar.
When selecting Ekos and starting INDI it says that there is another instance of INDI running. When I answer No to shutting it down I can see on the Terminal window that I believe the Canon driver is being loaded. However I am not able to connect my devices such as the mount and the CCD. The Ksat configuration is Local not Remote. I have included the window where you can see what path the indi library is that Kstar uses.
I restarted Kstar but this time I selected Yes to the question of shutting down the already running INDI instance. Now everything connects except for the Canon and indeed in the terminal I can see that it is not loaded.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks again,

Robert
6 years 9 months ago #17490
  • Thank you received: 6

Replied by Eric Vickery on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

I will give it a try. I looked yesterday and didn't see where I had any environment variables set that should make any difference. One thing I did notice is that Ekos uses the FIFO file to start the drivers and I just put them all on the command line, not sure if that could have anything to do with it.
6 years 8 months ago #17495

Yes that is correct, we only started the canon driver from the terminal, so that should be the only device that connects. In fact, I probably should have told you to make a profile in KStars that only includes the canon driver, so that the others don't try to connect. The primary reason for this is because we want to isolate the problem. The other devices and their messages while they are connecting will get in the way. You are correct to say "no" to starting another indiserver because right now we want to test it using the one from the terminal. The log file was very helpful, though as I said, getting the other devices out of the way would help. I saw some of the output from the indiserver in the window on the left but couldn't make it all out, could you copy and paste whatever it said?

Thanks!

Rob
6 years 8 months ago #17496

Robert,

I looked through your log file just now and saw several things. It looks like it is detecting the camera properly since it says there is 1 camera and it identifies it properly. The only error message I saw in the log file was that it couldn't claim the usb device. Do you have any other programs running that might tie up the camera?

Here is a thought, sometimes PTPCamera daemon on OS X steals the camera. Try this command in the terminal after you connect the camera but before you try to connect to it in INDI/KStars:

killall PTPCamera

You can also use Activity monitor to see the process and quit it as well if you prefer that to the terminal.

The same goes for any other programs/processes that want to steal the camera so that other programs cannot use it. But I suspect this one is the culprit because it did that to mine a few times.

Thanks,
Rob
6 years 8 months ago #17497

That was the reason Rob. " killall PTPCamera" did the trick! Canon is now online!! Thank you so much! I didn't have to use any other INDI driver. Star's internal was sufficient. I guess I will have execute this command every session now.

Regarding my second problem; any ideas on the solving problems of my polar alignment?

Kind regards,

Robert
6 years 8 months ago #17498

Thats a question for Jasem, since he developed that routine, but I haven't even used it. I use my polar scope to align it in the field. My scope is not permanently mounted and the polar scope is easy to use and fast. The polar alignment routine looks nice, I just haven't tried it yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert
6 years 8 months ago #17500

Ok Rob I will put that question to him.
Thanks again,

Rob
6 years 8 months ago #17501

Robert,

I just wrote some code that will have KStars check for "PTPCamera" when it starts up an indiserver on a local OS X machine and then give the user an option to quit that program. This should at least prevent PTPCamera from stealing the camera and not letting you connect in the first place. We will have to see if there are any cases when it can steal the camera later on. Maybe if the camera gets turned off and back on? But anyway, this should be a start.

I sent the patch to Jasem and we will include it in the next DMG build.

Thanks,

Rob
6 years 8 months ago #17506
  • Thank you received: 4

Replied by anofeles on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Yes, 2.7.8. dmg
Other devices: MacBook Pro with macOs Sierra 10.2.5
Mount: Neq6
Camera: ASI 1600 MC

Regards from Spain...
6 years 8 months ago #17513

That's great Rob because indeed overtime the DSLR is switched off one has to kill the PTPCamera again.

What is Jasem's avatar because I couldn't find him through the search engine?

Kind regards,
Robert
6 years 8 months ago #17514
Time to create page: 1.561 seconds