INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Astrometry to fetch Comets

• Thank you received: 0
Hi

My equipment's are the followings:
AZEQ6 - Meade SC 10" - KStars/Ekos/Indi on a tinker board/Ubuntu 18.04 _ Capture images with Sony Alpha 7S

Since two weeks I do have some issues with my AZEQ6, one motor prevents to perform the correct 3 stars triangulation but tracking is ok.
So I'v decided to find a procedure to use the polar alignment tool and astrometry tool of ekos to route the telescope to a comet position (C/2019 Y4) or any position in the sky.

I did the polar alignment, it works perfectly. I test the accuracy by pointing a bright star anywhere in the sky and activating the sideral tracking - OK zoomed star remains perfectly centered on the APN's view.

Now I need your help to accomplish the following:

1- I manually point the area of the comets by unblocking the RA and DEC locks - OK
2- I took a picture of the area the telescope is currrently pointing and 've submitted the pict to nova.asstrometry.net that returns me the names of objects. (the comet is not in the field otherwise it would be a chance !)

From there I would like to resync kstars and shows the position where the telescope is pointing by using the picture I took. My understanding is that I can't use directly the astrometry module of KStars because it don't know where I'm pointing in KStars so astrometry is not resolving.

I plan to use the load and slew function but from there I'm a bit lost. Do I have to park the telescope at the current position ?

Thanks to help by providing a procedure to find any object in the sky by using the astrometry module either local or external.

Thanks
JP
4 years 2 weeks ago #51816

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Astrometry to fetch Comets

You can provide your solver results to the INDI panel Sync tab as a new sync point maybe? Is there one you can use? That would change what the mount reports to KStars as coordinates, and move the cursor to the solved position.

-Eric
4 years 2 weeks ago #51819

• Thank you received: 0
Hi, thanks for your reply.

What you describe it's what I'm doing, I localize a star in the solved picture, then I slew the scope to have the star centered in the view, I go back to the map and search for the star that I center and follow, then I click right and sync the telescope and kstars.
From there, if I take a new picture, do I have to go back to the external solver or EKOS will solve the picture internally ?

Hope this is comprehensive.

Thanks
JP,
4 years 5 days ago #52428

• Thank you received: 301
I'm not sure I understood what you wanted to do. If you can take a picture with the Alignment tab of Ekos, and select Sync only, Ekos will plate-solve your picture, send the align point to your mount and show you the location on the skymap. If you need to move your declination axis by unlocking it because the motor is not working, you can still use plate-solving each time you want to know where you are on the map. You might want to clean the alignment configuration before running the solver to avoid sending weird sync points, but that might not be absolutely required.

-Eric
4 years 18 hours ago #52799

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds