INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Getting a little frustrated with EKOS

• Thank you received: 0
I have been struggling for the past two months to get EKOS work reliably with my set up with RPI4+Astroberry:

KStar+Ekos on Windows 10 64bit
Edmod mount
ASI178 guidescope
ASI1600mm camera
ZWO focuser
ZWO filterwheel
Powered USB3 hub

I have not had a single session where everything worked flawlessly. Tow nights ago, the EQmod mount would not respond to "unpark" and "track" after repeated reboots/restarts. I have RPI4 connected via 5GHZ thru my EERO mesh wireless. The frustrating part is that everything connect and starts off fine, then EKOS gets stuck (on platesolving sometimes), and KStar crashes. After a reboot/restart (both RPI and my windows laptop), there's always a problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.
3 years 3 months ago #66794

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 117
I don't run astroberry (I run stellarmate), but they're close enough to each other that it shouldn't matter. Regarding park/unpark being "stuck", this was one of the poorer (IMO) decisions made a couple releases back to default dome logic which prevents the telescope from moving (even when there's no dome!!!). In any case, rant aside, you need to go into the INDI GUI, mount options, and set the IGNORE setting on dome logic. You may find yourself needing to do this after every reboot (I haven't found a way to set/keep this option). As for platesolving, I started to have a lot of problems with platesolving in the release just prior to the new StellarSolver, but I must say the new StellarSolver is AWESOME! So, make sure you have the recommended index files loaded, and are using StellarSolver. With these two changes, I think you'll find things work well. I'm not saying kstars/ekos will never crash, but the frequency should be very minimal. Good luck & cheers, Doug
The following user(s) said Thank You: shayan norasteh
3 years 3 months ago #66795

• Thank you received: 567
@Doug: The usual way to get Indi parameters to "stick" is to go to the driver's "Options" subtab, find the "Configuration" line, and click "Save". See the image below. In this case it's on the same subtab as the setting "Dome Policy" that you were recommending. Have you tried saving dome policy that way? It seems to get it to stick for me.

@Shayan: In addition to Doug's good advice about domes, the other thing that can sometimes cause similar problems can be solved by following the advice on this page. stellarmate.com/support/faq/mounts.html?view=faq&faqid=33
It is my "goto fix" whenever my mount is acting weirdly on slews or parking.

Also about plate solving. With StellarSolver, I find it is useful to understand whether it failed due to star detection or the actual plate solving, as there are separate parameters covering the two cases (and also, of course, things like clouds and poor focus can cause the star detection to fail). I believe if you look through the output on the log below, StellarSolver usually says how many stars are detected. If that's 0 or not many, then double check your image to make sure it's reasonable and reasonably in focus. Also check to make sure in the stellar solver options, you're using a reasonable profile. If you continue to have issues there, you should capture a fits file of the image where your solver fails, and post that along with some screenshots of your stellarsolver settings, and folks could chime in with suggestions. Other common issues with stellarsolver include having the wrong focal length stored in kstars. Rob often suggests unchecking the "Use Scale" and "Use Position" checkboxes to help you diagnose the problem. (e.g. Your plate solving would go slower without them, but if the assumed scale is wrong, you'd try and understand why--likely focal length).

Hy

The following user(s) said Thank You: shayan norasteh
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Hy Murveit.
3 years 3 months ago #66800
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 117
hey thanks Hy....the only time I can't find something in INDI / Ekos is when it's right in front of me. ;-) Cheers, Doug
3 years 3 months ago #66818

Time to create page: 0.361 seconds