INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Failed to start profile ASI EFW indiwebmanger issue

• Thank you received: 14
Strange problem.
I havn't used my ASI filter wheels for a while, but now I try, any profile containing ASI EFW fails when started with indiwebmanager.
Error message on client says:

Failed to start profile on remote INDI Web Manager

It works fine if I start the remote drivers manually e.g:
indiserver -l -v -p 7624 -m 300 -r 0 indi_ieq_telescope indi_altair_ccd indi_asi_wheel indi_myfocuserpro2_focus
So not a problem with the filter wheel ( I tried my other ASI EFW same isuue as well).

It works fine with indiwebmanager if i use any of : no filter wheel, manual filter wheel, filter wheel simulator, or qhycfw3 filter wheel.
As soon as I use ASI filter wheel with indiwebmanger it never starts.
???
Anyone got a clue ? Must be something to do with indiwebmanager.
Server : arm64 ubuntu jammy . Client x86_64 ubuntu jammy.
This is driving me nuts. I have been using Indi, indiwebmanager and ASI EFW for years without issue.
Thanks,
Nick
2 months 3 weeks ago #98723

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12
Im not sure if this will help you, but I had the same issue although starting from EKOS. I realized now there are two ASI EFW, and also ZWO EFW. I tried ZWO and it worked. Not sure what's going on with that.

Thanks

Bryan
2 months 3 weeks ago #98726

Hi thanks Brian.
That's crazy. ZWO EFW and ASI EFW use the same drivers and xml profile.

nick@server:~$ ps ax | grep indi_
1956 ? Sl 0:00 indi_altair_ccd
1958 ? Sl 0:00 indi_asi_wheel
1960 ? S 0:00 indi_myfocuserpro2_focus
1962 ? S 0:00 indi_ieq_telescope

Exactly what I get when starting it manually.

As I have been using ASI EFW successfully for years I didn't think it had been renamed since I last used it !

Thanks for spotting that.
Nick
2 months 3 weeks ago #98728

• Thank you received: 6
I have similar problem. I use EKOS with local profile. After latest upgrade, it silently does not connect the EFW device, even though it starts the driver. I changed EKOS profile to use INDI 'remotely' and start INDI server manually. Now it works again. Didn't have time to dig anything out of the logs yet.
2 months 3 weeks ago #98740

All the ASI prefixes have been removed, it's all now ZWO
2 months 3 weeks ago #98742

Jasem, I guess that's a ZWO thing since they do the drivers.
I was completely thrown by that one especially as ASI EFW was the first item in the dropdown box in the profile editor and ZWO EFW is the last one and I had been using ASI EFW for years (the driver is also called indi_asi_wheel)
Using kstars v 3.6.8 presently presumably this will change for next release ?
What about the driver names ?
nick@plum:~$ ls /usr/bin/indi*asi*
/usr/bin/indi_asi_ccd /usr/bin/indi_asi_wheel
/usr/bin/indi_asi_focuser /usr/bin/indi_lx200basic
/usr/bin/indi_asi_single_ccd /usr/bin/indi_oasis_focuser
/usr/bin/indi_asi_st4

ls /usr/bin/*zwo*
No such file or directory

Thanks for that.
Nick
2 months 3 weeks ago #98743

Ok I also had to move my filter list from old profile
ASI EFW_config.xml'
to new profile
'ZWO EFW_config.xml'

Nick
2 months 3 weeks ago #98744

FYI It all works on my set correctly now.
I use a single board PC indi server and connect using a Linux client (my desktop workstation in my office), so almost always use the remote
profiles. The remote server does have a vnc desktop running but I only use this for starting phd2.
I've always used the indiwebmanager to start the remote drivers. Now I changed to use ZWO EFW this is back to working as expected.
I had to reset my filter wheel profiles and filters from using ASI EFW to ZWO EFW profiles.
Nick
2 months 3 weeks ago #98752

I just upgraded to 3.6.9 .
The ASI EFW option in the profile editor has now gone so no confusion as ther is only ZWO EFW for ZWO filter wheel.
2 months 3 weeks ago #98759

• Thank you received: 62
I followed the advice in this thread but no success so far: When indiserver is manually started with indi_asi_wheel and the client connects from remote everything works fine. But if it's Ekos to start the server it doesn't work.
I then tried to:
- Replace the config file name from 'ASI' to 'ZWO'
- Delete the config file and the default config. It then doesn't get recreated by Ekos because the driver is not connected.
- Reset all the tables in the sqlite database
- Upgrade to nightly

In all cases it seems to be Ekos failing to start the driver.
The log only reports a generic failure where the device is referred as 'ASI EFW' by the server but then the client cannot find 'ZWO EFW':
[2024-02-06T14:30:04.785 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Starting INDI Driver "indi_asi_wheel"
[2024-02-06T14:30:05.005 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Received new device ASI EFW
[2024-02-06T14:30:05.019 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - < ASI EFW >: < CONNECTION >
[2024-02-06T14:30:05.019 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - < ASI EFW >: < DRIVER_INFO >
[2024-02-06T14:30:05.019 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - < ASI EFW >: < DEBUG >
[2024-02-06T14:30:05.019 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - < ASI EFW >: < SIMULATION >
[2024-02-06T14:30:05.046 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - < ASI EFW >: < CONFIG_PROCESS >
[2024-02-06T14:30:05.046 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - < ASI EFW >: < POLLING_PERIOD >
[2024-02-06T14:30:05.111 CET INFO ][           org.kde.kstars.ekos] - Connecting to "Telescope Simulator"
[2024-02-06T14:55:10.898 CET INFO ][           org.kde.kstars.ekos] - "Unable to establish:\n+ ZWO EFW\nPlease ensure the device is connected and powered on."

Attached the full log.
Any idea?
Ferrante
2 months 3 weeks ago #98842
Attachments:

Hi Ferrante.
I renamed the ASI EFW files to XXX.saved and then re-ran the profile editor created a brand new profile where I selected ZWO EFW
in the drop down box and saved it. I used the saved ASI files to remind me the order of the filter names as I have several wheels, otherwise these files are no longer needed.
On EKOS start up it wont start the profile because there is another box than then pops up asking to connect all the equipment (with the usb id's), then it connects and then pops up the optical train box to select the camera, telescope guider etc. Sometimes the usb connect box is hidden behind other windows and if you dont select it and check "connect all" then it won't work.
Hope that helps.
Nick
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ferrante Enriques
2 months 3 weeks ago #98849

• Thank you received: 62
hi Nick,
thanks for your help.
I followed step by step what you described above. Unfortunately I get the same error: after starting Ekos and before the USB selector pops up I get the 'unable to connect' error.
I downgraded to 3.6.9 stable for this test, did you use nightly?

Ferrante
2 months 3 weeks ago #98852

Time to create page: 1.009 seconds