INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Rigel nStep - Can not SET Focuser Speed?

• Thank you received: 11
Inside the INDI Control panel I am unable to SET an alternative Focuser Speed for my Rigel nStep. The slider works fine and the desired speed number changes but nothing happens when I click on SET. The field always stays at 10. Is this feature for a different type of focuser? I can operate the focuser from inside the INIDI Control panel, over a wireless connection, without a problem. However;

I tried to test the focuser indoors utilising a Simulator CCD. Using the Focus feature inside the Ekos Control panel I could not get any movement on the nStep. Am I to assume Focus feature has to have an active CCD? As before, I can happily control the focuser, over a wireless connection, inside the INDI Control Panel.

Set up details:
Desktop: Kubuntu 16.04, Plasma Desktop, HP Pavillion i5 64-bit
Network: Rpi3 No.1 Master, Rpi3 No. 2 Chained, Executed as Remote Connection, D-Link E2500 Router, Wireless / Ethernet Control via Ekos
Equipment: SW EQ6, Vixen R200SS, Rigel nStep Focus Motor, Canon EOS50D, WO 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO ASI120MM
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
7 years 3 weeks ago #15015

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Had a run through again this evening and can confirm that NStep receives focus commands from Indi Control panel but NOT from Ekos Control panel and NOT from the KStars right click menu /Focuser/Focus In/Out feature.

In my limited knowledge of how to obtain a log I did capture the terminal lines after trying to focus through the Ekos Control panel.

It's as if no name is included in the action when clicking the buttons,
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Keith Cobby. Reason: Adding a txt file
7 years 3 weeks ago #15020
Attachments:

Ekos Focus module control sets the absolute position of the focuser, is there absolute position control in the INDI Control Panel? From the driver code, it doesn't identify itself in the beginning as absolute, but then later defines some absolute properties. So some NStep focusers are relative while others are absolute?
7 years 2 weeks ago #15021

Hi Jasem,

All appears to be ok inside Indi Control Panel. Just cant get the focuser to work inside the Ekos Control Panel to Focus In/Out or Autofocus.

(Inside Kstars the right click, focuser, in/out doesn't action anything either.

Managed to retrieve a log file; early focus actions were from Indi Control panel and the latter were from Ekos attempts.

Regards,

Keith
7 years 2 weeks ago #15022
Attachments:

Switched from Rigelsys nStep to Rigelsys nFocus and all is fine.
Last edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by Keith Cobby. Reason: Changed icon to solved
7 years 2 weeks ago #15027

• Thank you received: 155
I am considering purchasing the NFocus system for my WO Star71.
Now that you had more time, have you seen any additional problems using EKOS and autofocus with this Regel motor system?
- in hindsight, would you recommend this focus system,or use another option for the Star71?

Thanks!

Peter
6 years 4 months ago #20737

Hi PK,

In all honesty I will personally not buy a Rigel Focuser again. It's not anything to do with Ekos (I've actually not tested it throughly for a while, been using a Bahtinov mask). For me the less than acceptable quality and poor design of the mounting bracket, their Windows and EQMod bias and a frighteningly poor support experience sealed their fate in my eyes. This is my opinion based on my experiences only.

I cannot therefore offer a recommendation, sorry.

Keith
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Kennett
6 years 4 months ago #20741

• Thank you received: 155
Rigel quickly responded to my emails, but not a peep in 5 days from Moonnlight. :(
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Peter Kennett.
6 years 4 months ago #20761

Time to create page: 0.287 seconds