INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SX Wheel causes Kstars to crash on connect

• Thank you received: 2
Hello, this is my first post on the forum.

I have finally found an issue I could not (eventually) fix :)
With my usual working equipment setup, after I updated to the latest kstars-bleeding via:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
On connecting my filter wheel in the driver control panel kstars crashes repeatably every time. It does this regardless of what else is connected. Even a minimal configuration with telescope simulator and ccd simulator plus the wheel (all other hardware disconnected) causes a crash.

I have tried every permutation and combination of leads/hubs/both USB3 and USB2/powered/non-powered. The only way that does not cause a the crash is a direct lead from the wheel to a usb2 port on the computer. This is running the latest Ubuntu as updated via the above command.

This appeared to connect ok (green indicator) and the actual filter names could be reinstated from the defaults and saved to the config file. The filter could be heard moving when a new position was set in the driver control panel. Unfortunately when returning to the Ekos Capture tab, the problem had not been resolved. The sx wheel drop down shows the filters I defined, but also additional undefined slots. When taking a preview exposure (by both camera and camera simulator) it worked ok on the default filter position, but selecting a different filter and then preview leads to a hang while it waits forever for the filter to move to another position before the exposure can start. The filter wheel does not physically move.

I have a sx wheel 7 position model SXUFW-UM36T - Has latest firmware 1040-12 (reflashed to ensure no corruption) and functions correctly with Starlight's stand-alone windows application.

I am no expert, but I had a look at the 3rd party drivers on the github and some recent changes may have a bearing on the matter since it has always worked flawlessly before this. Here is where I looked:

indi/3rdparty/indi-sx/

Latest commit 0548078 23 days ago

"knro - Since most filter wheels save and load filter names from configuration file rather than hardware, the functionality is moved to FilterInterface to reduce duplication of Get and Set Filter names across all drivers"

3rdparty/indi-sx/sxwheel.cpp

I have attached the repeatable crash backtrace and a logfile for the crash (no really useful info) and last nights log where the wheel was connected by the single usb2 port but the Capture module could not control the wheel.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
6 years 4 months ago #20696
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thanks for the detailed report. Can you please to update again in about 1-2 hours? Let me know if the PPA updates solves your problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Gentry
6 years 4 months ago #20701

Hi knro, thanks for your help.

I have updated and tested the wheel with my normal usb connection.
I used a minimal configuration to test: telescope simulator; ccd simulator and the sx wheel. This time the wheel connected in the driver control panel without crashing.
Unfortunately on selecting the sx wheel in the Ekos Capture tab kstars crashes. This seems repeatable. I attach a couple of backtraces that look identical plus the wheel logs.

Prior to this I tested using the ZWO ASI 178mm and the EQMod mount driver and results were less predictable. Sometimes I could get as far as Ekos capture, select the sx wheel and preview but the filters did not physically change (exactly as before) and the preview hung waiting for the filter to change. Also in these cases the filter drop down showed extra slots Filter_8 ,9,10,11 and 12.

Let me know if you would like me to try any particular tests.

Many thanks

Mark
6 years 4 months ago #20710
Attachments:

Can you upload your userdb.sqlite file somewhere? It's located in ~/.local/share/kstars/userdb.sqlite
6 years 4 months ago #20715

Hi knro

I thought I sent this successfully this morning but it's not here, so I will submit it again,

May thanks

Mark
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Mark Gentry. Reason: Attachment missing
6 years 4 months ago #20722
Attachments:

Ok another update is out, please test and see if that works. Update both INDI & KStars.
6 years 4 months ago #20779

Hi knro,
The update appears to have resolved the problem.
The wheel connects without issues with all my normal hardware attached and USB lead configuration.
I have have given this an extensive test and I could find no faults with the wheel operation.
All my defined filters appeared in the Capture tab filter selection drop-down with no extra entries.
I am extremely grateful for your efforts in resolving the issue.
Many thanks
Mark
6 years 4 months ago #20789

Time to create page: 0.737 seconds