INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Moravian G2-8300 external filter wheel not detected

• Thank you received: 370
Dear all,
I am currently struggling with the configuration of EKOS with the filter wheel of my Moravian G2-8300.

My setup:
- Raspberry PI 3b
- Ubuntu Mate 16.04
- indi-full version 1.6.2~201801281219~ubuntu16.04.1
- indi web manager on Raspberry
- KStars running on Mac OS

My astro hardware:
- Avalon M-zero
- Moravian G2-8300 with external filter wheel
- Loadstar X2

The problem: when I connect to the G2-8300, it works almost completely. The only thing missing is the tab containing the filter wheel settings.

I cross checked it under Windows. The Filter Wheel is recognized under the ASCOM driver.

The very odd thing: yesterday, it worked. When I restarted the system today, the filter wheel did not show up. I made an entire reset to the installation, but unfortunately no change.

Any hints?

Cheers
Wolfgang
6 years 2 months ago #22702

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What's the name of the device you get in INDI control panel when you connect to this camera? I've seen this reported before when there is a problem connecting to the camera or getting its name and it messes filter wheels.
6 years 2 months ago #22707

The tab is named "MI CCD G2-8300" - which is the correct name of the CCD camera - see attached screen shot.

Wolfgang
6 years 2 months ago #22711
Attachments:

Hi Jasem,
I crosschecked it under Raspian with the current versions of indilib retrieved from Github - same result. The filter wheel tab is not displayed.

Wolfgang
6 years 2 months ago #22717

yeah that should be about right. I'm not sure, especially since you said it was working the other day and not now so it must be some transient problem. Another user reported a similar issue a while ago. I emailed Moravian to report the issue, maybe you should do as well.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
6 years 2 months ago #22722

OK, I contacted Moravian. Let's see...

Wolfgang
6 years 2 months ago #22725

Hi Jassen,
I checked several options:
- indilib version 1.6.0, 1.6.1, 1.6.2 on Raspbian
- indilib version 1.6.2 on x64 debian 9 on intel i7-5557U (Mac OS using Parallels)

Unfortunately all with the same result - no filter wheel detected :angry:

Currently no feedback from Moravian received.

Cheers
Wolfgang
6 years 1 month ago #22747

Good news, the filter wheel is back!!

Yesterday I got contact to the Moravian support. They asked me to verify under Windows, whether the filter wheel was really turning. Well, I thought, that is an easy exercise, since the filter wheel makes the characteristic sound when the driver under Windows is initialized. It turns once around to put it filter no. 1 in position.

But although the sound occurred, the filter wheel was not detected under Windows. APT for example claims to detect it, but it was not able to change the filter. SIPS on the other hand claimed 0 filters.

OK, now I new, that the problem occurs as well under Windows. The next step was to open the filter wheel case - and here I found the problem. The rubber belt around the filter wheel had slipped off the wheel. I put it back in place and the next test showed the filter wheel back.

So in the end, it was a "simple" mechanical problem, no software problem at all.

No the stress test with my Raspberry can continue. I want to check whether the USB power directly delivered is stable enough.

Cheers
Wolfgang
6 years 1 month ago #22787

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds