INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Running INDI together with PHD2 problem

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

My setup: I have a Raspberry-Pi at the telescope, running INDI-server. I connect to this R-Pi over my LAN with Kstars and Ekos (from my laptop).

Now I want to use PHD2 remotely from my laptop, connected to the guidecamera through the INDI server.

Problem: PHD2 connects nicely to the indiserver. However, when I start Ekos, the guide module is also started, and images from the guidecam are sent to the Ekos module, displayed in FIts-viewer, but not to PHD2 anymore. If I turn the guide module off, PHD2 also loses connection.

Is there a way to tell the indiserver to send images to both applications, or even better (to preserve bandwidth) only to PHD2?

Patrick Chevallier suggested on the openphd-group, that I perhaps could run a separate indiserver for the guidecam - how would I do that? (when I try starting a second instance, I get an error msg telling me there is already a server running).

Magnus
8 years 2 months ago #6911

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 32
What a coincidence as this is exactly what I was wondering about, just got openPHD running (seconds ago) and connecting to the SSAG just fine, but didn't have the opportunity yet to test in combination with ekos.

Btw; do you select to guide "on camera"? If you have fitted the guide cable to the mount, that should work. Didn't test it, just thinking along at the moment.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Vincent Groenewold.
8 years 2 months ago #6912

1. Did you try guiding with Ekos?
2. As Patrick suggested, start INDI server for the guide cam and use PHD to control that alone. You can then start another INDI server for the rest of the stuff. You can start the first instance on a different port, for example:
indiserver -v -p 8000 indi_v4l2_ccd

This will start the server on port 8000, and then you select port 8000 in PHD2. If you start another INDI server without the '-p' argument, it will start in on the default port of 7624.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Groenewold
8 years 2 months ago #6915

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

Great, that works nicely!

Yes, I've guided with Ekos... and you assisted me over Teamviewer once...:) However, I like the polar aligment and backlash measurement features of PHD2, and it's easiler to monitor the quality of guding, with constant output of RMS. Most important for me is the drift aligment feature, that is quick and easy. I've so far not been so successful with Ekos polar aligment, but I keep playing with it.

Magnus
8 years 2 months ago #6920

One thing btw, is dithering possible when using PHD2 to guide?
8 years 2 months ago #6926

I guess not as I saw Ekos would then have to support it by serving the commands to PHD. Is that something that would be possible as a nice feature in the future? :)
8 years 2 months ago #6952

Time to create page: 0.351 seconds