INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

What can you say about Linux astro software forum?

• Thank you received: 95
What can you say about Linux astro software forum?

I'm talking about a forum for discussions of astronomical programs for Linux.
You can try my open project Astronomy Linux
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paulo de Almeida
Last edit: 8 years 5 days ago by Oleg.
8 years 5 days ago #7388

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My list of Linux astro sofware with short descriptions:

KStars is free, open source, cross-platform Astronomy Software. It provides an accurate graphical simulation of the night sky, from any location on Earth, at any date and time. Free. Supports INDI.

Cartes du Ciel / SkyCharts This program enables you to draw sky charts, making use of the data in many catalogs of stars and nebulae. In addition the position of planets, asteroids and comets are shown. Free. Supports INDI.

Virtual Moon Atlas . Free software for Moon observation or survey.

Virtual Planets Atlas . New free software for planets observation and study.
8 years 5 days ago #7391

Xephem is a Motif based ephemeris and planetarium program for Unix-like operating systems. Supports INDI.

Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope. Free.

Celestia is free space simulation that lets you explore our universe in three dimensions. Free.

Digital Universe , developed by the American Museum of Natural History’s Hayden Planetarium, incorporates data from dozens of organizations worldwide to create the most complete and accurate 3-D atlas of the Universe from the local solar neighborhood out to the edge of the observable Universe. Free.
8 years 5 days ago #7392

Munipack is a free open source tool for processing of astronomical images.
Munipack's goal is to develop easy-to-use tools for both astronomical astrometry and photometry along with additional utilities like to access of Virtual observatory or to provide various FITS files operations.

Siril is meant to be Iris for Linux (sirI-L). It is an astronomical image processing tool, able to convert, pre-process images, help aligning them automatically or manually, stack them and enhance final images. Free.

AstroImageJ is ImageJ with astronomy plugins and macros installed. It includes tools based on the Göttingen ImageJ astronomical resources with additions we find useful. Because it was necessary to modify the original ImageJ code to enable some of these features, this package should be installed in its entirety. Free.

MicroObservatory Image is a simple to use, yet powerful astronomical image processing program that works with FITS and GIF files. Free.
8 years 5 days ago #7393

AstroStack is a program that takes a series of images or a stream of video and combines them into one sharp noisefree picture. $39

Lxnstack is a program designed to align and stack astronomical images (both planetary and deep-sky) by Maurizio D'Addona. Written in python and qt for the Linux platform it is released under the Open Source GPLv3 licence. Free.

Regim is a software tool for processing astronomical images. Free.

MYRaf is a practicable astronomical image reduction and photometry software and interface for IRAF. Free.

to be continue...

Is this information useful for you?
8 years 5 days ago #7394

• Thank you received: 46
I did not know all of them so for me it is useful.
I'd like this to come around soon..
www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oleg
8 years 5 days ago #7395

oaCapture is a planetary imaging application intended mainly for Linux. Free.

OpenSkyImager is a capture program written for Astronomy camera operation. Free.

CCDciel is a free CCD capture software intended for the amateur astronomer. Supports INDI.

Simple astronomical CCD controller (cccd) . This program supports TSNK-lab ICX285AL cameras, QHY5, QHY6, QHY9, QHY8L, DSI2PRO, DSLR. It works with Mono images of 8, 12, 16 bits and RGB images of 24, 48 bits. Photo and video modes can be used. Histogram control of preview is available. There are two modes of capture: single frame mode and series. Free.
8 years 5 days ago #7396

THELI GUI is a powerful and easy-to-use package for astronomical image reduction, offering e.g. Free.

PixInsight is an advanced image processing platform specialized in astrophotography and other technical imaging fields. It is the result of a dynamic collaboration between like-minded astrophotographers and software developers, who are constantly pushing the boundaries of astronomical image processing with the most powerful toolset available. 230 Euros (without VAT). It can supports INDI ( it needs your tests ).

Observation Manager is a free and open logbook for (amateur-) astronomical observations. It's written in pure Java and runs on every plattform supporting Java 1.4 or higher.

Astronomy CCD Calculator
Plan and preview your astronomical shots. A handy tool designed to help beginner Astronomers.
The software Astronomy CCD Calculator uses NASA/SkyView survey resource which provides CCD images of the night sky. It helps you plan an observation by letting you play with different instruments resulting various "Fields Of View" so you can see what your camera will capture and choose the best target for the session. Free.
8 years 5 days ago #7397

C-Munipack is the software package, which offers the complete solution for reduction of images carried out by CCD camera, intended on a observation of variable stars. Each step of reduction process can be run from the command line or via simple and intuitive graphical user interface.

VStar is a multi-platform, easy-to-use variable star observation visualisation and analysis tool. Data can be read from a file or the AAVSO database, light curves and phase plots created, period analysis performed, and filters applied. Plugins can be developed, e.g. to make additional observation sources available.

EqmodGui is a user interface for Linux INDI Eqmod telescope driver.
It allow to easily set the main parameters require to use this driver and manage the alignment data. Free. Supports INDI.

INDI Starter is a user interface to run a INDI server. You can configure different profile for your astronomical equipment. The INDI server can be launched locally or remotely on another computer. In this last case a ssh tunnel is established to allow local client connection. Free.
8 years 5 days ago #7398

astrofocuser is a very simple tool written with Qt 4.5 to help star focusing in astrophotogaphy. This tool applies an FWHM by transparency on the background window. Free.

Fv: The Interactive FITS File Editor is the easy to use graphical program for viewing and editing any FITS format image or table. Fv can be used with the DS9 image display.Free.

SAOImage DS9 is an astronomical imaging and data visualization application. DS9 supports FITS images and binary tables, multiple frame buffers, region manipulation, and many scale algorithms and colormaps. It provides for easy communication with external analysis tasks and is highly configurable and extensible via XPA and SAMP. Free.

GAIA is an highly interactive image display tool but with the additional capability of being extendable to integrate other programs and to manipulate and display data-cubes. At present image analysis extensions are provided that cover the astronomically interesting areas of aperture & optimal photometry, automatic source detection, surface photometry, contouring, arbitrary region analysis, celestial coordinate readout, calibration and modification, grid overlays, blink comparison, image defect patching, polarization vector plotting and the ability to connect to resources available in Virtual Observatory catalogues and image archives, as well as the older Skycat formats. Free.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philippe
8 years 5 days ago #7399

Aperture Photometry Tool (APT) is software for astronomical research, as well as for learning, visualizing and refining aperture-photometry analyses. Image overlays, graphical representations, statistics, models, options and controls for aperture-photometry calculations are brought together into a single package. Free.

Linux version of PHD2.
PHD2 is telescope guiding software that simplifies the process of tracking a guide star, letting you concentrate on other aspects of deep-sky imaging or spectroscopy. Free.

Lin-guider is an astronomical autoguiding program for Linux. It supports Philips, Logitech, uvc webcams, QHY5, QHY6, DSI2PRO, QHY5L-II-M, QHY5L-II-C, QHY5-II, ATIK, Starlight Xpress, ZWO ASI astrocams for video and FTDI chip-based, parallel port-based (LPT), GPIO-based, GPUSB devices, Nexstar-protocol based and QHY5, QHY6, QHY5L-II-M, QHY5L-II-C, QHY5-II, ATIK, Starlight Xpress, ZWO ASI astrocams for pulse guiding. Free.

AstRawDark helps you manage your astrophotography dark frames library and generate quality master darks by selecting dark frames with temperature matching the lights you have to pre-process... Free.
8 years 5 days ago #7401

AstroAviBrowser is a small tool for astronomy imaging processing. With AstroAviBrowser, you may open a video file, select the good frames and save the new sequence in a new avi file. It also debayer your raw sequences. Free.

LinOccult computes predictions of such occultation of stars by asteroids. Free.

Audela is a free and open source astronomy software intended for digital observations (CCD cameras, Webcams, etc.). Its concept is entirely new, because whilst it features advanced image processing and acquisition functions like existing software, its originality lies in the fact that it is entirely reprogrammable using simple scripts. It has been written for both Windows and Linux platforms and can control many telescope mounts and cameras or DSLRs. Free.

Montage is a toolkit for assembling Flexible Image Transport System (FITS) images into custom mosaics. Free.
8 years 5 days ago #7402

Time to create page: 0.795 seconds