INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

PyIndi

• Thank you received: 0

PyIndi was created by L B

Hello, I am using the PyIndi library to control an SBIG camera for an astronomy project. The best tutorial I could find for the library is here: indilib.org/develop/tutorials/151-time-l...ith-indi-python.html

Right now I need to implement a zero-time exposure, in order to keep this system consistent with our prior system. The current response to this is:
Requested exposure value (0) seconds out of bounds [0.01,3600].

Is there a known way of taking a zero time exposure with this library? Alternately, is anyone aware of more detailed documentation for its use?

Thanks!
7 years 11 months ago #7614

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic PyIndi

No this is a limitation on the driver side. What is this zero time exposure for? Bias frame?
7 years 11 months ago #7615

Replied by L B on topic PyIndi

That is unfortunate. Yes, it is for a bias frame. Do you have any suggestions on the easiest way to implement this? Is still a limitation with the C++ library?

Thanks!
7 years 11 months ago #7616

Ok so I did a little bit of digging and minimum exposure time is different for different models. Those which have electronic shutter can take a minimum exposure of 0.001 seconds, but most other models vary, most fall under 0.12 seconds minimum exposure. I changed minimum exposure to 0.001 and will try to see if it can be changed depending on camera model, but then not all camera models are represented in the SBIG header so it's pretty messed up.

I changed the BIAS frame so that the shutter remains closed and exposure time is set to 0 seconds always. Not sure if this will work, please test and see. It will ignore whatever value set in EXPOSURE and will always take a 0 seconds exposure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L B
7 years 11 months ago #7617

Thank you! I will get a chance to test this early next week, I will let you know how it works for me.
7 years 11 months ago #7620

Hi again, I just wanted to check: what exactly do we need to update to apply this change (where is it located)? My apologies for the simple question, I'm very new to this system.

Thanks!
7 years 11 months ago #7938

Need to update INDI Library package. Depends on how you installed it.
7 years 11 months ago #7939

I may be doing this wrong then:
We did a fresh install of the indiserver libraries, and ran indiserver -vv indi_sbig_ccd. Then using the indi control panel, we set the system to a bias frame and took a zero time exposure. This produced the same error about the requested time being outside of the allowed bounds. In case it matters, the library was downloaded here: indilib.org/download/raspberry-pi/downlo...or-raspberry-pi.html .

Thanks
7 years 11 months ago #7942

Ok, you can specify any value for exposure and it will be ignored during bias frame capture. At any rate, I just changed it to explicitly accept zero value for bias. Tomorrow you can get the Raspberry PI package and try again.
7 years 11 months ago #7947

It seems to complain about an "unknowm selected CCD frame type! FRAME_BIAS" now. Also, is the link in my prior comment the correct code to be updating? Thank you again for your help.
7 years 10 months ago #7983

Yes prior link correct. What seems to complain exactly? Maybe it's an issue with PyINDI?
7 years 10 months ago #7984

We've actually tried a few things:
With PyIndi, the problem is now that a Blob is not returned when a zero time bias exposure is taken. This also occurs if a nonzero exposure time is given. Lights and darks behave properly.

With a separate client, indi control panel (www.cloudmakers.eu/indicontrolpanel/), we get the error mentioned earlier "unknown selected CCD frame type! FRAME_BIAS" when we try to run a bias frame. Previously, when running the bias frame, it would simply complain about the zero exposure time.

As a side note, we have tried using an ATIK camera with the indi ATIK driver. Although this seems to support a bias frame, the exposure can not be of zero time, and the counts scale with time for longer exposure times, which would seem to be identical to taking a dark exposure.
7 years 10 months ago #7985

Time to create page: 0.861 seconds