INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

PixInsight: New INDIClient Module Released

• Thank you received: 95
It's a good news !

"We are excited to announce the release of a new PixInsight module: INDIClient, an open-source, multiplatform INDI client available on FreeBSD, Linux, OS X, and Windows. The new module is now being distributed as an official update for the latest PixInsight 1.8.4 versions.

The INDIClient project has been created by Klaus Kretzschmar, a German software developer and a member of the PixInsight GitHub team. This is undoubtedly one of the most important milestones in the history of PixInsight development. INDIClient opens a door to hardware control support on the PixInsight platform, and you can bet we are going to open this door completely and go in.

Although this initial version includes just a device controller and a CCD/DSLR frame acquisition tool, it is just the beginning. Think of this first release as a functional proof of concept, just to demonstrate what we are working on and how we are doing it. The roadmap for INDIClient development in the short-medium term includes the following tools, by priority order:

- Camera control

- Mount/telescope control

- Focuser control and autofocus

- Autoguiding

Of course, all of these tools will be, as are the device controller and frame acquisition tools right now, fully scriptable in JavaScript from the PixInsight Core application.

INDIClient is an open-source project available on PixInsight's GitHub repositories:

github.com/PixInsight/PCL/tree/master/sr...etzschmar/INDIClient

If you are a software developer and would like to contribute, please contact us. If you can't or don't want to contribute with code, but have suggestions or ideas to improve our development, please also let us know. This exciting project can benefit from the collaboration and help of all PixInsight users.

For the latest detailed information on the INDIClient module, see the official announcement thread on PixInsight Forum:

pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=9852.0

We want to say a huge thanks to Klaus Kretzschmar for his initiative in creating this important project. Thanks also to all PixInsight users and supporters who help us keep the PixInsight project alive and relevant to the astronomy community.

The PixInsight Team at Pleiades Astrophoto"
You can try my open project Astronomy Linux
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
7 years 10 months ago #8186

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yeah I just recieved the email as well from PixInsight. Will give it a try as soon as possible.
7 years 10 months ago #8187

• Thank you received: 3
Hi All, I have been using PixInsight for a while now and am interested in trying this new INDI option for driving camera and mount. I currently use Stellarium and EQMOD to drive my mount and Nebulosity for imaging. Can someone step me through the process to use the PI INDI module?
7 years 10 months ago #8188

• Thank you received: 10
"It was only a matter of time..."

Yup I wondered when PI would make the leap. I suspect that all the tools like astrometry based alignment etc will appear.

I think there's one major issue for me, and the reason I moved to INDI/kstars/Ekos. I want to use embedded system to capture independently without needing to worry about having the laptop sat outside. Currently those styles of platform aren't really powerful enough for SSE style image processing (or using GPU). If PI the interacts with INDI directly it's still back to the heavy weight desktop attached to a lightweight driver control system. Not the model I want.
ODROID C2 Ubuntu
7 years 10 months ago #8189

Please, write your OS and astro hardware.
7 years 10 months ago #8194

Look at my second test of this module: INDI server + Cartes du Ciel for mount control + PixInsight for image capture.
7 years 10 months ago #8196
Attachments:

I have found a small bug in this INDIClient: I want to change the coordinates, but their submenu indicate
xx.xxxxxxxxxx deg 0 arcmin and 0 arcsec
instead
xx deg xx arcmin xx arcsec.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Oleg.
7 years 10 months ago #8198
Attachments:

I just uploaded a YouTube video showing how to get INDI/Ekos on Windows 10, including how to use PixInsight to capture from a DSLR camera.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Groenewold
7 years 10 months ago #8205

It is a very good video for Windows users.

Can you create another video about Windows+ASCOM+ wINDI ?

P.S. I haven't OS Windows on my home computers.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Oleg.
7 years 10 months ago #8209

• Thank you received: 3
Hi Oleg,
my OS is Windows 7 64-bit, mount is Skywatcher EQ8,camera is QHY-8 colour, scopes are 150 mm RC reflector and 65 mm AT refractor.

I drive my mount via Stellarium and EQMOD (ASCOM).
7 years 10 months ago #8218

Windows users wrote about problem :
7 years 10 months ago #8273

PixInsight has INDI Mount Controller:
7 years 9 months ago #8938
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.813 seconds