INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

wINDI and connections

• Thank you received: 0

wINDI and connections was created by Helge

Guys, I'm struggling!
I have installed wINDY on my PC in the observatory and found the drivers for the stuff I use. It would have been very nice with a pop-up window that lists the drivers/equipment that actually connected on startup, or a change in colour to indicate status. (There could be several reasons why equipment did not connect as I see it.)
I want to connect Kstars/Ekos from my in-house PC to this PC, but I'm not able to. So most likely I'm doing something wrong, but I have not found much help in the help files. The wINDY log file says it's listening on 0.0.0.0:7624. Is this correct? If not, what should it be and where to change it?

In EKOS, should I create a profile for all my equipment or don't I have to? It would not be complete as several drivers is missing in EKOS anyway.

When I try to remote connect, the connection fails. The port is correct though.

Any ideas, gents?

Finally, should astrometry files be installed on the pc in the observatory or on the one hosting Kstars?
7 years 2 months ago #13677

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 174
Hi, can you append a log from wINDI or some screenshot of how is it configured on Windows side? Peter
7 years 2 months ago #13689

Replied by Helge on topic wINDI and connections

This is the log file after pressing the Start button and the PNG file show the wINDI setup.

Since I'm in the house and not in the observatory, the dome will not connect of course. As I said above, I'm missing some status information in this respect.

I have no idea what I need to do/setup in EKOS as all information is geared towards Linux INDI. I cannot find any info of how to connect to wINDI.
7 years 2 months ago #13691
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 174
On windows side it looks correct. Make sure that port 7624 is not firewalled and windows host is visible from linux desktop running Kstars.

I can't help you particularly with Ekos configuration as I don't use it, but wINDI is from its point of view remote INDI server as any other, doesn't matter if it runs on Windows or Linux.

Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge
7 years 2 months ago #13692

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic wINDI and connections

Hello,
Could you describe your network setup? How is the observatory "connected" to your house pc? Wifi, wired, etc...
-Eric
7 years 2 months ago #13693

Eric, I have a wired connection to my observatory although right now (for testing) the observatory PC is sitting just beside my in-house PC, also wired. And so is all my other gear, except the dome controller of course.
From my router I have a wired connection to a ZyXEL switch. Both PCs are connected through this switch. This will also be the case when I move the observatory PC back out there.
7 years 2 months ago #13694

So I'd second Peter's answer. Check the Windows box IP is correct and have a look at its firewall settings.

If this is a Win7, look up "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" by typing that as is in the "Search Programs and Files" box when opening the Start Menu. There you can add an inbound rule specifying type "Port", protocol "TCP" on local port 7624, allowing connection on all network profiles.

If this is a WinXP, the procedure is um mostly the same with slightly different naming :)

While it would be overkill for that particular job, and probably awfully complex for newcomers, I'd suggest using nmap on the Linux box to troubleshoot network configurations. For instance, "nmap -A <ip>" will give you an overview of the port configuration of the host at <ip>. To test the particular port 7624, "nmap -p 7624 <ip>".

-Eric
7 years 2 months ago #13695

Ah, though I don't want to state the obvious, I need to mention that in Ekos, you need to use the actual IP of the Windows box, not 0.0.0.0.
IP address 0.0.0.0 is only ever used by a server when it needs to listen for connections on all available network interfaces.

-Eric
7 years 2 months ago #13696

These are two windows PC's, both running W10, 32 bit laptop in the observatory, 64 bit in-house. There is no Linux involved.

I will try to find the firewall settings you're talking about. Meanwhile, would you be so kind and explain exactly where I can set that IP address in EKOS. I was kind of expecting that 0.0.0.0 was incorrect, but could not find anywhere to change it.

When you say "Windows box", which PC are you referring to? In-house or observatory?

(Sorry for being a total noob here, but that is exactly what I am with these things!) :blush:
Explain it as to a 5 year old.
7 years 2 months ago #13698

If I was to explain this to my 7-year old, I wonder who would get the headache first :lol:

For whatever reason, I assumed your KStars and Ekos were running on a Linux box. So let's call this box the "KStars/Ekos box".
At indilib.org/about/ekos/setup.html you have a description of the setup procedure, although the user interface may differ slightly depending on which version you use. As you mentioned, the "Profile" group is the feature you should use. Press "+" and you will get edit boxes to enter various information, amongst which "mode", which should be set to "Remote" and "host", which should be set to the IP address of your "Observatory box". That's how you tell Ekos to connect to a remote INDI server.

Because there is usually no firewall restriction on outbound connections from the "KStars/Ekos box", it is the firewall on the "Observatory box" that might need to be configured as I described in my previous posts.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge
7 years 2 months ago #13700

OK, I got it. I'm connected, but I do have a headache! :cheer:

One peculiar thing though: In the Indi server setup I have selected ASI camera 1, ZWO Filterwheel 1. For some reason, when I connect, Camea 2 and Filterwheel 2 is selected. Not that it matters much because I only have one camera and filter wheel, but it is strange. And things like these always make me wonder if everything is OK.
I'll give it another go tomorrow. My head is spinning.
7 years 2 months ago #13701

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds