INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Help with solving

• Thank you received: 1
What should I look for it the online Astrometry.net works fine and the offline always says 'Solver Failed - try again'?

The index files are installed and are shown in the options panel. The FOV was solved by the online solver. The latest Astomometry.net is installed. Need some ideas to point me in the direction of a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Dana
7 years 1 week ago #15292

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Help with solving

Does it immediately say the solver failed, or did it run through the index files first? Do you have it set to verbose so that you can see? If it immediately says it failed, then you probably either have the wrong setting for fits2fits or maybe the path to the drivers is not set correctly. If it runs through the index files, i would see if you have the right index files for solving the image. Look at which one the online solver used to solve it, do you have that file?
7 years 1 week ago #15294

Replied by Dana Tousley on topic Help with solving

Thanks I'll try the -fits2fits both ways, and try verbose. I put ALL the index files in that directory, 4200 to 4219. Eventually I will use everything from a 35mm prime lens with an APSC chip to my 127 Mak with my guidescope (8 arc min). Last night I was just trying to get through the polar alignment routine with my guide camera and scope.
7 years 1 week ago #15296

• Thank you received: 24

Replied by Stephen on topic Help with solving

Ekos can solve really quick and took some practise. So things to check:

- confirm the Mount RA in Kstar matches the actual Mount RA. Assuming they match check the setting Use Position RA
- Reduce the number of indexes to match those recommended
- if using on a RPI3, ensure max_current is set to 1 in the /boot/config.txt
- if Astrometry is version 0.68+ then uncheck --no-fits2fits
- turn on verbose logging as already mentioned.
You can test the command Ekos uses on the command line itself. Copy the command and then paste it into a terminal window.

Then tweek the command on the command line until it actual solve the image.

Hope this can help.
7 years 1 week ago #15322

• Thank you received: 32

Replied by Bill on topic Help with solving

I get 2-4 second solves, but I run Astrometry.net on my client (Desktop machine) rather than run it on the Raspberry Pi. I use the default settings in KStars/Ekos.
7 years 1 week ago #15323

@rockstarbill How did you set this up on your desktop and point RPI3 to it? I looked into this a few times and could not get it to work, so the RPI3 was being used directly.
7 years 1 week ago #15325

I run KStars/Ekos on my desktop, and not the Pi, for starters.

I installed Astrometry.net:
sudo apt install astrometry.net

Then I downloaded the deb packages for the indices here:
www.indilib.org/about/ekos/alignment-module.html

Then in Ekos, I select offline for the solver option. This uses my local copy of Astrometry to do solving. RPi3 doesn't know or care about the solver. Ekos does.
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by Bill.
7 years 1 week ago #15326

Ah, okay... I am running Kstars and Ekos on the RPI3. It seems to be working very well. I would like to point Ekos to a PC on my network to plate solve, to save time as the RPI3 is slower, and have not found the right way to do this yet.

Then a browser is used to to access can Kstars/Ekos on the RPI3, as well as PHD2.

This allows me to use any PC, my iPad and iPhone to check and monitor.

Additionally, with the resent correction for CGEM, when not imaging I am using Skysafari to on iPhone, iPad or Mac to slew the telescope and then capture previews to see check potential objects to capture.
7 years 1 week ago #15327

If you have a Windows PC you can install ANSVR on it, and point Ekos to use that as the "online" solver.

For SkySafari, I use a AP1100GTO CP4 which has wireless networking, so I just connect over wireless directly to the mount and use it to slew to objects. Works great.
7 years 1 week ago #15329

Replied by Dana Tousley on topic Help with solving

I reinstalled the index files and everything worked without changing anything else.

Thanks,

Dana
7 years 6 days ago #15544

Time to create page: 1.047 seconds