INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

What type of science do you do with your instrument?

• Thank you received: 3
Asteroid occultations fascinate me but what other science can I contribute to?
7 years 5 days ago #15557

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 32
Well, as amateurs it's rather difficult to really get extra valuable science into todays astronomy. However, as professional astronomers don't have a lot of time behind the super expensive telescopes out there, it's sometimes an amateur who discovers a new supernova or even a type of nebula that wasn't picked up before. These are, however, a bit rare I think and it requires a lot of analysis and knowledge. Would be very cool though to be able to add some, sometimes they ask the public to help with something.
7 years 5 days ago #15558

Regarding my interest in asteroid occultations, imagine if you could "pepper" the landscape with robotic scopes in the 6in to 10in range. Then you could collect data from many sites that could yield refinements to the orbit plus reveal the asteroid's profile, its shape, and rotation. I find that fascinating. Perhaps we could find a way to raise public interest and awareness, and have community libraries sponsor the build and cost of operation. And then when the scope is not used for that purpose you could offer web access to citizens, educators, and students to image whatever interests them.
7 years 5 days ago #15559

To be fair, I did not originate that idea. Last summer I participated in a "MakerSpace" build of a Pi-controlled telescope from scratch. From scratch, I mean from scratch. I wrote the GoTo algorithms in Python, designed the ADC boards for the axis encoders, and began developing the website. The leader of the project is an adjunct prof of Physics and Astronomy of a not-too-well-known university in a neighboring U.S. state. The professor and I parted ways after we had fundamental disagreements on how to engineer things. He was also trying to find a way to make money off of it, which I don't agree should be a motivating force. If it happens, it happens, but it should not guide you.
7 years 5 days ago #15560

• Thank you received: 76
Photometry:
You can make a real contribution here. See aavso.org

I'm only getting started to be honest and have only submitted a handful of observations. I recently contributed some photometry to a campaign which was helping the a Chandra space telescope observation. There are other campaigns to help with HST observations etc. Or just general monitoring of stars that need data collected (www.aavso.org/program-stars-need-observation)

Derek
7 years 4 days ago #15562

• Thank you received: 37
To my understanding, photometry of variable stars is still a way to produce some scientific data. That is why I started to build a robot telescope setup for my balcony a few month ago.
7 years 4 days ago #15563

• Thank you received: 32
Yes indeed, variable stars are a good way, though not necessarily the most exciting bit of astronomy. Important nonetheless. :)
7 years 4 days ago #15564

• Thank you received: 37
I agree that it is not the most important. But AFAIK the most valuable what an average amateur can produce and "scientific". Let me know if you have any better other ideas. I started to do my telescope project to do something scientific. :)
7 years 4 days ago #15565

I think its pretty exciting :-) Exoplanet data collection is exciting anyway, but challenging.
7 years 4 days ago #15566

submit exoplanet data here -> var2.astro.cz/ETD/predictions.php
Its fairly advanced though. Much more difficult than most variable star photometry.

Another area in need of data from amateurs is astrometry of astroids. Although I have no idea where to get started.

Want to make a real big difference/discovery in science,,,, its not really feasible on your own. You need to join a team or a group/organisation.
7 years 4 days ago #15567

Thank you everyone for all the great ideas!
7 years 4 days ago #15574

• Thank you received: 11
My near term goal is to build up my equipment to contribute to this project: tbg.vdsastro.de/
adding integration time from multiple telescopes can give you more than pretty pictures
7 years 4 days ago #15578

Time to create page: 0.326 seconds