INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Random Thought about ASCOM & INDI

• Thank you received: 174
Yes, that's correct. INDIGO driver is dynamic library executed directly within INDIGO server, while INDI driver is for INDIGO server remote server (just using pipes instead of network). Peter
6 years 11 months ago #16065

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 53
Can you point me at the code and documentation? I wouldn't mind having a crack at an ASCOM telescope (i.e. mount) driver
6 years 11 months ago #16072

Code is here: github.com/indigo-astronomy/indigo and some developers info (quite incomplete) is here: www.indigo-astronomy.org/for-developers.html . Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Ken Self
6 years 11 months ago #16073

Nice initiative! I see you are using a BSD-type license, but what does this condition mean exactly?
Redistribution in source or binary form for profit is permitted only as a part of a product derived from this software with added value.

I couldn't find it in the official 3-Clause BSD license here: opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause
6 years 11 months ago #16074

It means, that you can integrate it with your own solution, but can't just resell without any other added value. Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
6 years 11 months ago #16079

• Thank you received: 24
Does INDIGO allow Skysafari and INDI to connect to the mount, say a CGEM, at the same time?

Not sure how I missed this thread. I just switched from ser2net to nexbridge to see if the connection performance is any better when using SkySafari and INDI on the RPI3. I do plan to install INDIGO and try it, as I am trying planetary imaging for the first time. RPI3 was used to capture my first SER file. The fps was low (about 7-9 fps), so I plan to use a windows PC to see if the fps can be increased, as I explore Jupiter. If the Windows PC ASCOM can connect to the INDIGO on the RPI3, and still allow Skysafari on iOS to also monitor the CGEM it would be sweet!

The RPI3 is almost completely controlled via web page (it is not pretty as I am not a web page designer), including initiating the dist-upgrade, monitoring RPI3 time vs mac/iOS time, and mounting of USB.

Controlling the gear via the RPI3, image capture and sequencing too, is really nice; as long as I do not accidentally power it all off LOL.

Cheers!
6 years 11 months ago #16100

• Thank you received: 23
Hi maudy
I am not quite sure I understand your question. Both INDIGO and INDI allow multiple connections to the mount. I am not sure about skysafari. Can it connect to INDI?
However you can connect both INDIGO and skysafary to the same mount using nexbridge, use option -m 2 to allow 2 connections to the same device, but be prepared that there may be some issues with this setup as race conditions will occur. In general it is not a good idea to control single device from different places.

Rumen
6 years 11 months ago #16101

• Thank you received: 24
The goal is to use Skysafari to so the initial slewing when exploring and finding new object; basically, when not using the scheduler. For INDI it remains connected so when imaging without scheduler the RA/DEC is gather for the FITs. Then when using the scheduler, sky safari is not used, other than to check the coordinates.

I recently switched to nexbridge from ser2cat for the multi connect option, and I am testing the -m 2 option right now. Initial results seem to be that Skysafari will disconnect at times, and not reconnect unless I disconnect INDI first. INDI seems to loose the RA/DEC when this reconnect is attempted. I need to gather logs on this though, and hope to be able to do it this weekend, and post back to my other thread on the SkySafari/INDI connections. Right now using ser2cat it is possible to connect and disconnect both.

Currently, Skysafari does not use INDI. There is a thread on this forum about this; I have some hope it may happen. I reached out to Simulation Curriculum requesting they add INDI, and was told it is not being consider.
6 years 11 months ago #16111

• Thank you received: 32

I am not sure what your setup is in terms of your Desktop OS, where you have SkySafari installed (iPad? iPhone? Android? MacOSX?) or how you are trying to get them all connected to the CGEM at once. I suspect that there is a more elegant solution to what you are trying to do. In the context of this thread, which is about getting ASCOM client software to connect to INDI, I do not think SkySafari is an ASCOM client. The Celestron Mount uses an ASCOM driver on Windows, of course, but I am not sure what benefit SkySafari would get if that ASCOM driver were connected to INDI.
6 years 11 months ago #16114

The only solution for this is if SkySafari supports INDI naively, which is pretty straightforward IF they are interested in this. All other solutions are hacks in one form or another.
6 years 11 months ago #16121

Time to create page: 0.549 seconds