INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Living amongst the trees

• Thank you received: 3
Thank you, everyone. TallFurryMan has got me thinking...

Where does KStars keep the artificial horizon user input file(s)? It would be great if I could experiment and edit this in a text editor. Thanks!
6 years 11 months ago #16169

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Living amongst the trees

Check this, that's what got me started: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4242535/
It's not exactly the same field of application, but it has interesting points of view.

Edit: ummm probably not the one I was using for hemisphere partitioning actually, I'll look that up in my bookmarks.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Eric.
6 years 11 months ago #16171

Please excuse my crude drawing. This is how I propose to modify the polygon by keeping my interior points but then adding points around the horizon.
6 years 11 months ago #16174
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Living amongst the trees

Cut the donut in multiple pieces using the north pole as center, and slices segments starting at each of your points. You will get multiple quads that you can import as obstacles. There will be seams, but they are fixable by overlapping the pieces. The other problem is to align your picture towards the north pole.
6 years 11 months ago #16177

@knro, concerning the artificial horizon editor:

1. Why have a rule saying that First and Last points must be on the horizon? If there is a UFO blocking my view why do I have to anchor it to the horizon?

2. There is a peculiar tendency for the software to want to "auto-complete" my polygon. I can understand that this can be helpful when choosing the input method that allows me to point-and-click using the Sky Map. But when I choose to use numerical entry via the grid control it is quite annoying and prevents me from building the polygon I want.

3. Are the region files text-based that I can edit outside of KStars or is the data stored in binary?

Thank you.
6 years 11 months ago #16183

I finally had success (see attachment).

Before discovering KStars, I was a C2A / OccultWatcher user. Today I returned to C2A and followed their directions to quickly compose my horizon in a single region file. I took what I learned and tried to do the same in KStars but unfortunately it will not properly handle a 360 degree horizon definition in a single region. So I broke it down into four quadrants and finally had success.
6 years 11 months ago #16186
Attachments:

The data is stored in an SQLite file. It was a quick task I've done last year to implement this feature. If anyone can submit a patch to extend its functionality, they are most welcome!
6 years 11 months ago #16188

Yes, I think that import/export buttons would be a good first project for me although I would want to take it further but one must learn to walk first.

I programmed in C++ from 1989 through 2004 then I switched over to more weakly-typed languages. I am completely unfamiliar with cross-platform development and tools. Is KStars "all C++ all the time"? or does it use a SpiderMonkey-like core where I can use C++ for CPU-intensive operations and JavaScript for user-interface programming?

Thanks.
6 years 11 months ago #16203

It's completely C++, though we are using more of QML (similar to Javascript). But for now mostly C++.
6 years 11 months ago #16205

Sorry for sending you this reply on the INDI forum. Yesterday, I signed up to join kstars-devel but I have not received the email confirmation yet. (I just finished sending an email to the webmaster to see if he/she could expedite.)

Have you heard of pluralsight.com ? It is an invaluable resource for learning new technologies. I found a 4.3 hour course called "Introduction to Qt: A C++ Cross Platform Application Framework" presented by Tod Gentille. Does that name ring a bell? It was released 29-May-2014; that is almost 3 years ago. Can you think of any major changes since then that I should be aware of?

Thanks.
6 years 11 months ago #16207

Well, Qt is a huge world, but most of the principles are the same more or less. Found another one here www.udemy.com/qt-c-gui-tutorial-for-beginners/ for $10
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Morgan
6 years 11 months ago #16208

I never received a reply from kstars-devel webmaster -- sad but true.

I've watched 3 online courses on Qt. It is very cool.

I am wondering though -- is it possible to write a Qt app in which C++ calls a JS function but the JS code is undefined at application build time? In other words I would like the user of the Qt app to choose a file from a dropdown list that contains the JS code. Once it is selected then the C++ code in the Qt app can call that JS function.

If that is not possible in Qt/QML, is it possible with D-Bus?
6 years 11 months ago #16270

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds