INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Still stuck with my ZWO 120MM

• Thank you received: 51
I am really desperate and angry :angry: . The sky is clear and the night promise to be nice. But unfortunately I am stuck again with with my ZWO120MM. Whatever I do The camera fail to capture an image. So the autoguiding move away from my mind.
The camera works fine under Planetary-Imager to take movies :( . So I am totally lost.
Have you such problems with this cam. Soon I will believe that this is a real bullshit or maybe the SDK is a bullshit.
Whatever, guys, can you suggest me a not too expensive solution that can surely works for autoguiding ?
Just for information here is the log file.
6 years 11 months ago #16318
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 27
hi!
hum - which operating system? the 120 MM works fine with my Raspian, could it be a USB-cable/hub/whatever problem????
yours
wolfi
6 years 11 months ago #16319

• Thank you received: 226
I am successfully guiding with ZWO ASI 120MM with a Raspberry Pi3, but it wasn't a smooth process at first. Updating the SDK at some point to 6.0110 helped ZWO SDK found here . But I believe Knro updated it for in the main build already.
Looking at your logs I see unsupported 16bit raw errors, try verifying it is set to 8 bit. Might help. USB compatibility with this cam is not great on Linux, so the extra bandwidth required there could be an issue.
6 years 11 months ago #16321

I have tested all you suggest. And I am connected directly to the PC or via a hub. But the result is always the same. I can't understand where the problem is.
Today I will test the cam connected to the RPi3 to see if the SDK under ARM device behave the same way.
6 years 11 months ago #16322

I presume you already flushed your camera with the *-compatible firmware using the Windows firmware application provided by ZWO?
6 years 11 months ago #16325

No I didn't. My cam is a very recent USB3 version. Few months ago version. Is it useful to do it ?
6 years 11 months ago #16327

• Thank you received: 87

Replied by nMAC on topic Still stuck with my ZWO 120MM

Hi patdut, for USB 2.0, flashing the firmware has proven to be very usefull and solved most of the problems.
The problem is that you can only flash USB 2.0 cameras, on their site USB 3.0 cameras don't even have that option:

"ASI Cameras Firmware Upgrade Tool (USB2.0 only)"

One thing I have noticed with my ASI120MM (usb 2.0), building the driver from sources sometimes makes miracles.
I stopped using ppa sources as sometimes the builds gave a lot of issues. I never had such problems again since I switched to sources.
Could you try to rebuild the driver youself?
6 years 11 months ago #16329

• Thank you received: 1
I had similar problem with my ASI120MC-S (USB 3) when I bought it, it just couldn't take any exposure and went into infinite loop in Ekos. I flashed with USB 2.0 *-compatible firmware and since then never had any issue.

EDIT: ****WARNING**** Flash ASI120MC-S with USB 2 firmware at your own risk
The following user(s) said Thank You: nMAC
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Ketan Padia.
6 years 11 months ago #16333

• Thank you received: 87

Replied by nMAC on topic Still stuck with my ZWO 120MM

USB3 camera with USB 2.0 firmware? Good to know! Thanks
Their site is misleading regarding that! In that case, maybe that will solve it.
6 years 11 months ago #16334

• Thank you received: 1

I think they have changed their software download page recently, when I downloaded the firmware it didn't have USB 2 mentioned in the brackets else I would've never tried :-D

My personal experience has been positive with the firmware update and i only use this camera for autoguding.

All the best :-)
6 years 11 months ago #16335

• Thank you received: 375
I would be very careful with flashing a device with other firmware. You can brick your camera this way.
Are you sure you successfully flashed USB 3.0 camera with USB 2.0 firmware?
I believe you should edit your post and warn users about unpredictable results if they follow this recommendation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
6 years 11 months ago #16337

@bads3ct0r
Does this mod influence the performances of the camera in fps ?
The fact that you have similar problems reassure me. I feel less alone. Did you warn Sam or Yang, the guys of Zwo, about your problem ?
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Patrick.
6 years 11 months ago #16339

Time to create page: 0.337 seconds