INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry Server

• Thank you received: 24

Replied by Stephen on topic Astroberry Server

3. I already added it for myself, and it work easily. The tutorial is here in case it helps: indilib.org/support/tutorials/162-indi-web-manager.html
5. Is an easy add to. These are the steps I used, perhaps yours are different?
- make sure you have space on SD Card: df -h
- sudo -s
- sudo echo "/swapfile none swap sw 0 0" >> /etc/fstab

These next two you may want to search around and see what settings meet you needs:
- sudo echo "vm.swappiness = 10" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
- sudo echo "vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 50" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
- exit
- sudo fallocate -l 2G /swapfile
- sudo chmod 600 /swapfile
- sudo mkswap /swapfile
- sudo swapon /swapfile
- sudo swapon -s

Agreed - it is a great image.

Cheers!
6 years 11 months ago #16585
The topic has been locked.

Please let me know if you wish something tested. For now, in hopes clouds disappear I am using the non-SSL.

If you do come up with a web page for configuring the RPI3 or a button to download the SSL cert (I have had to do this before), some ideas I was working on:

- websocket to monitoring the mounting/unmounting of a USB stick
- same websocket to monitor the apt-get update and apt-get distilled-upgrade
- websocket to monitor the time, date and LAT/long - and reset if needed; my procedures were not good enough on setup (I setup and take down each session unfortunately) and it seems when I disable the/location update between RPI3 and mount, the mount goes to 0's :(
- Button to reboot RPI3
- Button to shutdown RPI3

I was looking at nginx to do the above, and was working on lower the number of worker threads to save more RAM.
6 years 11 months ago #16587
  • Thank you received: 51

Replied by Patrick on topic Astroberry Server

@maudy
I have tried to install indi-webmanager but got an error message when I run it.
I opened a new thread on this topic, because I guess this is not astroberry topic.
To manage date I have done a client/server in python that worked quite good but needed to be activated manually. Maybe not the better solution.
6 years 11 months ago #16589
  • Thank you received: 375

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic Astroberry Server

I have added these to change request pipeline.
Two question to clarify:
- what is a use case scenario for INDI Webmanager while having Ekos Profiles and INDI server start/stop procedures? Are we sure webmanager will not get into conflict with Ekos Profiles?
- using swap on a SD card is a security issue - it tears down the media very quickly, I can add a script but will leave it up to a user to activate swap
6 years 11 months ago #16598

Ready to test.
1) Download astroberry.crt and import it to your browser.
2) Download server.pem to /opt/noVNC/ on your raspberry
3) Edit /etc/systemd/system/novnc.service on your raspberry and change a line:
ExecStart=/opt/noVNC/utils/launch.sh --listen 443 --ssl-only --vnc localhost:5900 > /dev/null 2>&1
to:
ExecStart=/opt/noVNC/utils/launch.sh --listen 443 --ssl-only --cert /opt/noVNC/server.pem --vnc localhost:5900 > /dev/null 2>&1
4) Run systemctl daemon-reload on your raspberry
6) Run systemctl restart novnc.service on your raspberry

Let me know how it goes.
6 years 11 months ago #16599

The first test on the Mac with Safari - worked!

I need to test again on iOS - first test did not work. I need to confirm I set it correctly given my playing yesterday, Stay tuned :)
6 years 11 months ago #16602

What do you mean by this Patrick? Do you mean autoresize feature for microSD bigger than 16GB?
6 years 11 months ago #16608

I have just added system upgrade script which lets you upgrade without need to download full system image. Just start terminal window and run astroberry-update and astroberry-upgrade. It will upgrade your system to the latest release of Astroberry Server. See Changelog for details.
6 years 11 months ago #16612
  • Thank you received: 51

Replied by Patrick on topic Astroberry Server

Sorry I didn't saw that the 16Go SD card was more than 80% full. I was wondering it would be nice to reduce the size with gparted before creating the iso. But it is not useful.
Another point, I tested the indi-webmanager that worked fine without interaction with ekos profiles.
Another point, it would be nice to have a multiple switch to choose the way to communicate between RPi and PC (wifi access point, wifi home network, usb, RJ45 wired) and display the different wifi network availables.
I suggest that you include indistarter in the iso image.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Patrick.
6 years 11 months ago #16616
  • Thank you received: 5

Replied by Rob Jones on topic Astroberry Server

Hello Kaczorek,

Two things:

Firstly, I must say that I'm truly impressed at the efforts you and others have put into the support of INDI. As an amateur astronomer and electronics hacker, I have dreamt for a long while for integration between systems to arrive, and it is here with INDI, and now the bundling of helpful packages such as Astroberry are being created it allows people like me to control and automate within software. So, I salute you Sir(s).

Secondly, I am using MQTT in raspbian, and when I move over to Astroberry would like to use this within the Astroberry build. So a quick check: have you tried this and are there any dependency issues?

BACKROUND and my thoughts: In the design of my "perfect" world for my observatory set-up (before I found INDI) I based my communications between systems on MQTT (Mosquito on the Raspian/Lunix) - its purely a hardware agnostic comms layer (perfect for INDI), but allows for simple integration between IoT and other stuff. Whilst INDI doesn't need this for the basic package of observatory control, having it would allow for more flexible methods of communication between INDI and the outside world. To truly integrate would require a MQTT client module with INDI - well outside the scope of Astroberry I expect.

Time allowing, I will be adding this into the Ubunute-MATE build myself and will be making the first steps into writing an INDI driver; initially I aim to add Dome compass readings by wifi (which I currently have), and other security stuff to other packages like Home Assistant, but this will be quite limited at first without INDI support (but will be sharing RPi hardware).

Just sharing thoughts!

Keep up the good work - Clear Skies!
6 years 11 months ago #16630

Hi Rob

I'm glad you like it. Such appreciation words make great fuel for my development engine ;-)
I'm aware of MQTT, but never used it. It should be pretty much easy to translate INDI information for publishing over MQTT. As I understand it's all about publishing info which is already in portable XML format. I'm not clear how it might be used though... I understand how it's used for IoT but here I'm not sure. INDI as a publisher or as a subscriber or both. What are possible use cases and scenarios? Could you share some ideas on architecture you imagine?
6 years 11 months ago #16640

I wish to let you know I got to test out the Astroberry image last night, and things worked - Yay!!

The whole session was done with Ekos and PHD2 on RPI3 only: scheduler, indi web server, platesolve, phd2 guiding, manual nudging mount to get bet guide star placement, LRGB 120s subs. Got over 100 subs before clouds came in.

It was one of the smoothest sessions.

Did not get to test the Mac using astroberry has a controller via indi web server. Will do next time.

The only issue seemed to be the RPI3 got over loaded, and when this would happen KStars would crash and need to be relaunched without warning. Does anyone think there is away to improve the performance?

One thought I have is to:
- disable the graphical environment
- use Xvfb to create a display
- launch only KStars and PHD2 to a display each
- use x11vnc for each display

Just curious on thoughts, for the goal to maximize the memory of Ekos and PHD2 :)

Thank you for the great image to get things going!!
6 years 11 months ago #16664
Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.714 seconds