INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Building the induino MeteoStation with 3d printed housing

• Thank you received: 72

Thanks, I've uploaded it to my profile on thingiverse www.thingiverse.com/thing:2371144
Feel free to comment if you have any issues printing it.

I also edited it slightly since the last post. A hole big enough for a micro usb cable is now added. (I think I'll just drill one in mine as it's allready printed, but it should be a nice addition :) )
Proud owner of Observatory 17b - A remote Linux observatory.
Build thread @ SGL: Starting summers observatory project
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Groenewold, Rob Jones
6 years 9 months ago #17201

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So now I have nearly everything I need, and I'm making some progress.

Final shopping list:
  1. 2mm tich acryllic glass www.clasohlson.com/no/Akrylplast/Pr341360000
  2. Roll of PETG printer filament
  3. Adafruit pro trinket www.kjell.com/no/produkter/elektro-og-ve...tviklingskort-p87968
  4. Serial to USB www.kjell.com/no/produkter/elektro-og-ve...b-til-seriell-p87898
  5. Solar cell lamp www.clasohlson.com/no/Solcellelampe-3-pack/36-6488-2
  6. BMP 180 Barometric Pressure sensor ebay id : 201414876396
  7. DHT22 AM2303 Temp / Humidity sensor ebay id: 171907229178
  8. MLX90614ESF-BAA IR temp sensor ebay id: 191869849584

I have to get the Usb to serial adapter tomorrow, but the rest is in house.
Compiling and uploading the firmware to the Arduino was a breeze. I did not initially realize that all the code for the induino was in the INDI driver and all the arduino does is allowing a host computer to control the IO with the firmata protocol.

The Adafruit pro trinket does not support serial commands over the usb port, so that's why I need the dongle.

Last thing that is puzzling me is that the same pin is used for the output from both the BMP085 (185) and the IR sensor? Is this correct or just to show that both should be connected to analogue input on the arduino?

See blue and purple wires on this schematics

I feel my electronics skills is lacking a bit here. It's not like the output from one goes into the other and is altered, and the outputs are in paralell, so not like they will combine, and output higher amplitude. Looks like the sensor with the strongest output will be the resulting analogue signal?
6 years 8 months ago #17644

So, I'm calling this a success for the build :)

Everything is up and running except the IR sensor. I did not check everything well enough before ordering, so I got the BAA version witch is 3.3V. I connected it to the Arduino and it got hot very fast. A 20 and a 30 Ohm resistor will drop th supply voltage down to 3,3v, so I'll install the IR sensor when i can source some resistors.

I have been testing it for a while now, and sensors seam to work well. I also set up the web interface on my dev machine, and that was not hard at all. I did have to change some pins in the induinoMETEO firmware as the Adrafruit Pro trinket is using pin 2 internally. I'll go into some detail on that when I write the howto.

Also the question I had about the pressure and IR sensor using the same pins, seams to be correct. The pins are not standard analouge inputs, but SDA and SCL, witch is analouge modulated inputs.

Some pictures of the read outs and the nice Web interface for now.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Gonzothegreat, Rob Jones
6 years 8 months ago #17741

Project is comming along, all sensors vorking :)

I did have to order a new IR temp sensor, as I managed to fry the first I got.
I also had to update the METEOTest and InduinoMETEO firmware. The original library for the pressure sensor only supported BMP085 and not BMP185.
The code for the IR sensor was also just crashing the program when it failed to read the sensor, making hard to debug.

The METOTest was actually for the most part crashing when a sensor failed, making it hard to debug witch semsor failed, so I have rewritten a lot of the test.

Now that all sensors are workig, I did come across a issu that wil make me redesign the top 3d printed part.
The IR sensor cannot read temperature trough the plexi / pastic glass. So the IR sensor only reports the temperature of the glass itself.

I have some ideas on how to fix it, just have to mke sure it does not make water come in to the box. (as the sensor needs to be in open air facing up

The new test firmware
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Gonzothegreat, Vincent Groenewold
6 years 7 months ago #18436
Attachments:

IR sensor issue fixed.
Now everything is working. Next step install on remote site.

The so far un merged updates to induino meteostation software.
github.com/indilib/indi/compare/master.....c2e95ddb4f22558245ce
github.com/indilib/indi/compare/master.....34fd554289f256d03a2b
github.com/indilib/indi/compare/master.....ino-meteoweb-updates

Tutorial will follow :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Remy
6 years 7 months ago #18762
Attachments:

Magnus, can you please compile this into an article for the main INDI website? Here is a link to create the article: indilib.org/create-article.html
6 years 7 months ago #18769

• Thank you received: 223
That's a very nice box. I will pm you later on in the next few days about it.
6 years 7 months ago #18787

Shure thing Jasem.
I'm down with the common cold now, but I might get to get a article going on Sunday.

Thanks Gonzo.
Feel free to pm me. If I'm slow to reply I might not have recovered yet :sick:
6 years 7 months ago #18789

• Thank you received: 0
Thanks Magnus for sharing your progress! I just started putting together a MeteoStation and I am using the modified code your shared above.
For now, I just have the dht22 connected to the Arduino. The induino test code work well and I can see the temperature in the serial monitor.
The arduino is connected to my raspberry pi running indiserver.
After updating the arduino with the meteostation code, when I connect to the raspberry pi remotely from Ekos, the control panel doesn't show the temperature, instead it is only showing a long list of sockets, any idea what am i doing wrong?
Thank for your help,
-remy
6 years 7 months ago #18812
Attachments:

@rdw4176 !?
Sounds like you are starting the indi_duino driver without specifying skeleton file, thus starting the default simple_switcher_sk.xml

Check if your skeleton files is in /usr/share/indi or /urs/local/share/ind (most likely local), and try this one-liner.
killall indiserver; rm /tmp/INDIFIFO; mkfifo /tmp/INDIFIFO; indiserver -f /tmp/INDIFIFO & echo start indi_duino -n \"MeteoStation\" -s \"/usr/local/share/indi/meteostation_sk.xml\" >/tmp/INDIFIFO
The following user(s) said Thank You: Remy
6 years 6 months ago #18863

• Thank you received: 0
Yes, the loading the right skeleton was the step I was missing, thanks for pointing that out! The meteostation panel is now showing in Ekos. No value is updating, all showing 0. I guess, I might have some more configuration to do in order to see the temperature from the DHT22, I'll keep debugging
6 years 6 months ago #18895

• Thank you received: 223
right, I have ordered the electronic components off fleebay, just need to pick the solar cell and an enclosure. This meteostation was a great addition to my observatory, hence it's coming back in.
Previous one was also my all-sky camera (I will build one again).
6 years 6 months ago #19322

Time to create page: 0.744 seconds