Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
20 Aug 2017
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.5.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: FITS files and Plate Solving

FITS files and Plate Solving 2 months 1 week ago #17898

• oopfan
  • oopfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
This past week I got serious about orienting my camera so that the image results in NCP:Up and East:Left. I snapped an image of Albireo and asked astrometry.net and All Sky Plate Solver for its opinion. You can see my image here .

Both astrometry.net and ASPS agreed with the orientation: "Up is -178 degrees E of N". I thought: what? I worked hard to ensure that North was Up. Why are you telling me that South is Up? I uploaded a JPG file not a FITS file, so my theory is that the plate solvers assumed that my telescope optics inverted the image. OK I can understand that.

Information is not easy to come by on the Internet about this topic, so I thought long and hard about it. Perhaps when the plate solvers refer to "UP" they are not referring to the top of the image -- instead they are referring to the top of the sensor. Does that make sense?

Also, FITS files contain metadata whereas JPG and PNG files do not. I am wondering if I should expect different results from the plate solvers if I capture my images in FITS files instead. I can certainly understand that getting the orientation of the sensor is important when applying darks, flats, and bias frames.

Would you recommend that I always capture to FITS?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FITS files and Plate Solving 2 months 1 week ago #17903

I have also started testing plate solving recently and I believe INDI always sends a jpeg version.

Is it important to know what is referred to as up? To me that would depend on which way I was facing.

As they only have a jpeg to work with I would say it would be the top of the jpeg, as defined by the file.

Regards

Paul

FITS files and Plate Solving 2 months 1 week ago #17909

• oopfan
  • oopfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Interesting. I captured an image to FITS. I submitted it to All Sky Plate Solver. It replied that Camera Angle was 2 degrees. Then I captured an image to PNG. But to view the PNG correctly I needed to rotate the image 180 degrees for North to be up. Interesting. This requires more experimentation. It may require a letter to be sent to NASA.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica