INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget

Hello All! I'm glad to announce a new project: StellarMate . It's a gadget that I've been working on for quite a while and today it is finally available. It should lower the barrier for entry for astrophotographers into INDI & Ekos since it greatly simplifies access and control. With StellarMate, I hope to reach a wider audience to embrace and extend Open Source astronomy instrumentation. Thanks for everyone who made this possible!

For more information, visit www.stellarmate.com

6 years 8 months ago #17918
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 5
Jasem,

This is a great idea. I'm the target market for this device - short on time and a little challenged on coding!
I've reviewed your FAQ, but still have a few questions you might like to consider and add into the list.

1. Support: what is the approach used to update these packages - is there built in version updater package, or a simple script someone can follow, there are many updates to these systems I would not want to mis-out on.
2. I am in the process of designing my own devices, ( Flip/flap, weather, focuser, etc), it is not clear to me how one might attach these devices to this setup? Can i assume that if a device (any device) meets INDI drivers standards, then they will be plug and play?
3. I've loads of raspberry Pi's and power supplies for my local plugs! Are you open to selling the SD card with preloaded software?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Rob Jones.
6 years 8 months ago #17945
Rob,
These are excellent questions.

1. I am in the process of actually writing this as part of the FAQ. Yes, there is an updater software that you can use, and I will also include the commands necessary to do it from the command line. In a future update to the Android/iOS app, I plan to manage updates from there so you don't have to login to the machine itself.
2. Yes, this is using standard INDI/Ekos so everything will work just fine.
3. That's a good idea and might actually offer this at some point, but I'm pretty swamped at the moment as you can imagine so it would have to wait a little bit.
6 years 8 months ago #17950
  • Thank you received: 5
Happy to help constructively.

I've already ordered mine! Paid by paypal late afternoon today!
I'll be giving it a work out with: Canon D7, ATIK filter wheel, ZWO AIS 1600MM Cool, Celestron CGE mount, & CPC800 both nextstar.

Love the mobile app - look forward to using it.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Rob Jones.
6 years 8 months ago #17951
  • Thank you received: 3
Dear Jasem,

your StellarMate project sounds really interesting! Do I understand correctly that ekos runs on the pi so there doesn't need to be an active connection to an iOS device all the time?

I was wondering if you could offer the software seperately? I already have a pi and would actually prefer not to be another one. This would also be a nice way to support all the effort you put into developing ekos!

Best wishes
Stephan
6 years 8 months ago #18170
Ekos can run on the Pi or on your desktop/laptop computer. The iOS and Android app provides control over StellarMate (web manager, restart, shutdown, join to Wifi network..etc). I might offer just an SD Card version separately later on, but as I just launched the project last week I need to concentrate on it for the time being. Thank you for your support!
6 years 7 months ago #18179
So after a lot of requests, I made available the StellarMate OS image on StellarMate website: stellarmate.com/products/stellarmate-os.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: gehelem, David Hunt
6 years 7 months ago #18499
  • Thank you received: 8
Thanks! I ordered the image file today and looking forward to using it. Thank you for taking the time to chat with me today. As soon as Amazon delivers the Raspberry I will dive in.

We talked a bit about 10Micron. I am happy to hear modeling is being discussed. That is really the only thing that will be a show stopper for me. I would have to use Windows/SGP/Model Creator to make the model but I need a windows PC to do that which defeats the purpose of the StellarMate and the Ekos system. I could do it manually but that would be very long and boring. I need automation :)

Thanks
6 years 7 months ago #18500
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your order. I'm not really familiar with 10Microns internals but I'm just curious, why is modelling needed when alignment model takes care of centering the required object?
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
6 years 7 months ago #18502
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi Jasem

I think the Stellarmate project is a great idea!!!

I am however using an Odroid XU4, because this device provides both gigabit ethernet and USB3 ports, all of which is very nice to have, especially because the USB3 enables me to upgrade to the newer astro cameras using USB3 and actually take benefit from the improved speed of the USB3 port...

So I was wondering if you would consider providing a third option/way for people to get and use Stellarmate. I would like to be able to get all the nice tools you provide with the stellarmate system, but I'd like to run them on my Odroid XU4. I'm completely ready to handle the OS part myself (currently running Ubuntu 16.04), I would just like to be able to get all the Stellarmate functionality, and I wouldn't mind paying for them!

Who knows, if it works really well, perhaps you would like to provide an OS image for Odroid with Stellarmate as well...

Best regards
Anders Lange
6 years 7 months ago #18720
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi Jasem,

Following the current thread about the INDI_GPSD, have you consider adding iPhone GPS to Stellarmate?

The idea would be a button on the Mate app that would send GPS data to INDI_GPSD driver. Not sure if this is possible. The thread on indi forum started me thinking...
6 years 6 months ago #19154
  • Thank you received: 32
Just ordered the os image today but didn't get a download link in email.
6 years 6 months ago #19160
Time to create page: 0.849 seconds