INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget

• Thank you received: 155
Mine was strange too in the fact that I could simply attach an Ethernet cable to the gadget - with nothing on the other end - and the hotspot showed up. I could have simply cut off the end of a cable and used it as a dongle :)
6 years 4 months ago #20714
The topic has been locked.
I have my Canon 6D attached to the StellarMate Gadget. My Macbook is connected to StellarMate using the Gadget's hotspot - 4 meters away in direct view. All control of the Mount, Lodestar guider, and features of the 6D work well. However, the download time from the Gadget to my Macbook is excessive. A 40 MB FITS file takes 8 minutes. I tried restarting the Gadget and found that it does make a difference. In subsequent images, they took from 2 minutes to 4 minutes to download. Are these download times typical for a 40 MB file? Is there some setting in Stellarmate, Ekos, or the 6D that may be the reason for the delay?
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Peter Kennett.
6 years 4 months ago #21001
Yes that is indeed excessive. Let me run a similar setup today at home and get back the results, but it shouldn't be 8 minutes!
6 years 4 months ago #21003
  • Thank you received: 809
How long does it take when connected over Ethernet instead of WiFi?
6 years 4 months ago #21005
Not sure. I'l try. On a side note - is it possible to connect ethernet from the Gadget to a Macbook without using a router? The Stellarmate instructions mention that I can connect via a router but says nothing about a direct connection.
6 years 4 months ago #21006
It's possible, but I haven't tried it myself. Let me give this a go today as well (on my Mac Mini) and let you know how it goes.
6 years 4 months ago #21007
  • Thank you received: 809
If you are using a Mac then you need no router. Macs have had this ability since the 90s. You can just connect an Ethernet cable between the computers. I have done this for a long time and it is my emergency method for connecting to the pi if there is a network problem
6 years 4 months ago #21008
Any settings required? or just plug n play?
6 years 4 months ago #21010
I just tried connecting just ethernet direct from Stellarmate to the Macbook a few times, and Kstars crashed every time.
If this is not expected, I will try again and send log files.
6 years 4 months ago #21011
Attachments:
Here's a log.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_11-00-05.txt
File Size:9 KB
6 years 4 months ago #21012
Attachments:
  • Thank you received: 301
Side note about wifi: if all routers in the neighborhood are using the same frequency band index, they share the same bandwidth. It may be worth switching the router to another band index to check.

-Eric
6 years 4 months ago #21013
I was not going through a router with Wifi. The Mac was connected via the Stellarmat's gadget's hotspot. Any way to change the band the Stellarmate uses?
6 years 4 months ago #21014
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds