INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

raspberry pi NoIR camera board

I meant in INDI Control Panel, not Ekos. There should be a tab where you can change the capture format.
10 years 5 days ago #828

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Bob on topic raspberry pi NoIR camera board

Oops! My bad..

Here's the control panel tabs.

10 years 5 days ago #829
Attachments:

Sorry, my bad. I just noticed you are using indi_v4l_generic. This is the OLD V4L driver, the new one is indi_v4l2_ccd. Please use that one. I will remove the old ones now.
10 years 5 days ago #830

No bad on your part. I'll try the new drivers now. Thanks!
10 years 5 days ago #831

Just had 5 minutes with it - the functionality of the new driver is awesome! Great job!

I'm heading out soon, but will have a bit more time with it tomorrow. Again, thanks for your help

Cheers!
Bob.
10 years 5 days ago #832

• Thank you received: 9
I got my Pi NoIR camera today and had been wondering if it would work with INDI Library. I found this thread and got my answer! Jasem, have you tried the Pi NoIR for autoguiding yet and if so, how does it work? I think this week I will machine a new case to hold the Raspberry Pi, with a 1-1/4" tube to hold the Pi NoIR camera.

I have to say - kStars with Ekos and INDI Library is quite an amazing suite of software. Thank You to everyone who is involved with kStars and Indi library. Jasem, I have watched most of your videos and I'm just amazed at the work you and all the others have done with this over the past year! Really impressive work.

I don't really have a decent astrophotography setup yet, just an old LXD75 mount with an AutoStar II and a Celestron C6 telescope is about it. I've been trying webcams for autoguiding but if the Pi NoIR will work, that would be great.

This software is going to be solely responsible for me spending money this year on a new mount, focuser, ccd camera, and a new 8" RC telescope (I live in San Diego, Ca so going to big would be pointless)
10 years 1 day ago #873

I don't own one, but it should in principle work as an autoguider in EKos if selected as such. Please let us know if you can get it working as an autoguider in Ekos!
10 years 1 day ago #876

Hi,

I don't think Jasem has a Rpi camera in his setup, but Autoguiding is exactly why I 'm playing around with the camera board too.

I have access to a 3D printer, so printed a case for the camera with a 1.25" OD connection and an ID to match the end of my stock 9x30 finderscope (hope to upgrade to a 50mm one sometime soon) - I can push the camera onto the end and use it afocally (don't fancy removing the RPi cam lens if I can help it). So far, I've not had any clear skies to try it out on an actual star, but the new driver seems to work pretty well and I can get views of distant streetlights out of my window, which is promising... as soon as I get a clear night I'll be giving it a proper go.

I'm also hopeful I can use the camera for plate solving, but that's a whole new story.

I'll be interested to hear back with your experiences of the NoIR camera board - I think this has the potential to be a really cheap and effective way of autoguiding, as well as a way of freeing up a USB port.

Cheers
Bob.
10 years 1 day ago #878

Hey Bob,
Good to know others have the same idea. Thought I would give a quick update of the project. I have the housing mostly done for the Raspberry Pi and Pi NoIR Camera . Everything came out better than I had planned. I'm still going to try things out tonight and will let you know if things work ok.
9 years 11 months ago #896

Hi, John, your case looks spot-on! Have you had any joy auto guiding yet?

Just getting back onto this project after being away on holiday. Still not had any clear skies to try the setup out, so am taking the opportunity to design a new printed case for the pi to sit on top of my scope better and seal it up against moisture ingress. I'll update as soon as I have it done (hopefully by end of the week).
9 years 11 months ago #992

Hi Bob, I haven't had chance to give everything a try yet.. I just got back from Las Vegas a few days ago ;-) I have some minor tweaking to do to the case (the CCD isn't quite centered), and I need to mill out the eyepiece part just a bit more. I'll spend some time doing that in the next few days.

I also started wondering about another possibility: what about making the raspberry pi with a pi noir camera, function as a stand alone Ethernet (or WiFi) connected guide camera, with its own corresponding indi device driver. It would function like any other guide camera at this point, interacting with KStars & Ekos using its indi driver. This is REALLY where I would love to get this and could be a nice low-cost alternative for us DIY astronomers --- but I'm no programmer.
9 years 11 months ago #1009

The idea of having the Raspberry Pi with a Pi Camera function as a stand-alone autoguider, might not be as hard as I first though.. I did some looking and found a Pyhon library for directly controlling the camera:

$ sudo apt-get install python-picamera
Documentation is here :

The cool thing is that, not only can you capture images to a file, but also to a network stream, or a OpenCV object.

All I would have to do write python socket server using the python camera library. The socket interface to the client would allow the indi device driver to control the camera. I think writing the indi device driver for it would be harder to do.. Does this seem reasonable Asem?
9 years 11 months ago #1010

Time to create page: 0.765 seconds