INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to run Git and PPA versions on same RPI3

• Thank you received: 24
Is there anything special to do to run Kstars from git under one user, and from PPA under another user?
6 years 6 months ago #19753

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223

PPA is for apt-get update/upgrade or auto update if you have set up your Pi for it. As in: fire and forget, no worries.
git, download ~ compile ~ install, DIY. You will have to parse a command into the build to specify the location of the binaries as if you don't if will overwrite the ones from the PPA.

What's your thinking behind git & PPA together?
6 years 6 months ago #19754

The idea is that PPA would be the for the official release, and a more stable release.

The git user would be for testing new development work, and picking up earlier kstar updates. The path would be altered so the development indi/kstar is used before the PPA release.

If time allows I hope to create some celestron driver enhancements and nudging for target centring.
6 years 6 months ago #19761

• Thank you received: 223
If you have enough CPU/mem/disk then why not spin up a VM machine and have you dev within? At least it won't mess up the PPA, just in case...
6 years 6 months ago #19767

The Ekos VM is already in use on my Mac to use a simulator and working environment to learn the development.

In this case, I was hoping a single RPI3 could do a different environment per user. The goal to separate working production to guarantee a night works, so once an imaging session runs smooth, the environment is frozen and not changed/updated. The ease to logout one user from the "frozen working environment on the RPI3" and log as another user to try latest or updates is attractive. i.e. if all else fails go back to last known working environment.

I have been able to start the indiserver and run a tutorial driver using the same user on RPI3. I guess I will leave it at this for now.
6 years 6 months ago #19780

• Thank you received: 809
Maudy, you can build and run different versions of kstars on the same computer under different prefixes. The Mac build script that we made last year and that I have extensively modified since then can build KStars 3 different ways in 3 different folders. On my Mac, I always have at least one development version that. I can edit and test in Qt Creator and another Kstars build that I know to be stable, typically from the last dmg that I built and was posted on the website. If you run the script, those correspond to the cmake version and the craft/emerge version.

So yes, I don't think there is any problem with having different kstars builds on the same computer. I believe I have had up to 5 on my Mac at one time. In my opinion, you don't really need to use a VM unless you want to see what it looks like on a different operating system.

Edit: Sorry, I should add, that I know you are talking about different versions on a raspberry Pi. I used the Mac as an example.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Rob Lancaster.
6 years 6 months ago #19784
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.994 seconds