INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Summary of a night session

• Thank you received: 51
I want to make a summary of my last night.
After waiting a long time for a driver for my QHY165C all my setup yesterday was completely functional.
Despite a very average sky quality I decided to point 3 targets: M13, M31 and M33.
After a quick polar align with the polar finder I started the setup. I set the cooling to -5C for the QHY165C after having get one exposure. Necessary condition to make the cooler works. I set the Gain to 1500 and offset to 256.
Despite some small malfunctions at start (crash of camera drivers) all went to works fine.
I targeted Mizar to make a first sync. Astrometry worked perfectly. Focused on Mizar, all worked fine. Control with Bahtinov mask confirmed the good focus.
Then targeted M13 (west) with another astrometry the object was in the field center.
I did the AZ-EQ6 calibration without any problems then started autoguiding.
I took 30 exposures of 120s. The guiding accuracy was around 0.5" RMS on each ax.
I changed the target to M31 (east). As previously all worked well until I wanted to execute the mount calibration. It always failed.
Never mind, goto M33. Same result, calibration failed. Sometimes on RA drifting froward after reaching the max number of iterations or on DEC drifting reverse on not enough drift. And nothing to do. I don't know if some experienced such problem. If yes, does they have solutions ?
Never mind I continue without autoguiding with shortest but more exposures for not too loose time.
That was a good test despite some little problems and one that I have not been able to solve: the mount calibration.
Mount has been revised. I did accurate balance of the setup. It worked fine when targeting west. I don't really know what is wrong.
Patrick
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Patrick.
6 years 6 months ago #19863

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I've seen this issue with DEC on my EQ8, but when I set guiding rate to 0.5x the calibration went fine. 0.5x is now the default for EQMod. I could try to dynamically alter the guiding pulse based on the distance traveled after each pulse, and if it is below a threshold, then increase the pulse to compensate.
6 years 5 months ago #19864

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by Patrick on topic Summary of a night session

Hello Jasem,
I guess this is what is done in PHD2. would it be linked to backlash ?
6 years 5 months ago #19865

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic Summary of a night session

Sounds lame but the most likely problem is a bad cable or connection depending on the mount position. I had a brand new guide cam and cable and found one axis was faulty. Took a long time to realize this simple problem because it would even successfully calibrate but loose DEC slowly. I always have a spare now. Finally a star cross test proved the connection was bad.
6 years 5 months ago #19870

Time to create page: 0.474 seconds