INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Resuming a schedule...

• Thank you received: 24
Work-a-round: complete stop indi and exit Kstars. Relaunch Kstars, reload schedule and click play.

Last night using the scheduler, something happened and it needed to be stopped. The schedule file and sequence where saved.

The schedule would not resume properly though providing the error:
- Proceeding directly to capture stage because only calibration frames are pending. (there were no calibration frames in the sequence, only lights. It seemed due to this error, focusing could not be reinitiated, and guiding was ignored.)

Doing a test right now, manually setting a time to simulate capturing M81, this is repeatable

1. Create the sequence, and schedule, to repeat until some time in the future - 5am next day as an example. Save the sequence and schedule.
2. set time to a valid period for the target
3. Start scheduler - all good
4. Stop schedule, and reset
5. restart scheduler and it will stop immediately
6. Stop indi
7. exit Kstars
8. Relaunch indi
9. load the sechedule
10. click play
11. all good.

Is there anything else needed to test this? Although repeatable, in case it is needed, I am working on logs this evening to attach.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Stephen.
6 years 6 months ago #20158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Resuming a schedule...

I wasn't able to reproduce this.. I aborted scheduler and after a few seconds pressed 'play' again and it restarted file (After I doubled clicked on the job to reset it to IDLE).
6 years 6 months ago #20162

• Thank you received: 24

Replied by Stephen on topic Resuming a schedule...

This is good news. I will go back through logs and see if there is anything. For sure though, the restart did not work and there were no calibration frames in the sequence.

Question: What would cause the Stop INDI button to not stop the INDI processes?

I am wondering if something happened within INDI, as shortly after the above happened I had to do a sudo pkill indi on the RPI3. Should this occur again I will check for this, and see if it corrects.

Thank you
6 years 6 months ago #20186

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Resuming a schedule...

I could reproduce this problem this night with kstars 2.9.1 under Windows:
- created a sequence with 10x45s lights.
- created a scheduler job on M42, start asap, repeat job 18 times, with the sequence above and align/focus/track modules but no guiding.

When started, scheduler says there are "only calibration frames pending", bypasses all modules, proceeds to capture, although there are no calibration frames configured in the sequence. When switching to the next loop on the same job, does the same (double check needed on logs to be precise on this point).

As a result of the lack of alignment, capture drifts slowly out of frame over the three hours. Tracking was left unmodified during that period, and I will check about focusing.

If I got the configuration right, I should be able to share logs about this issue.

-Eric
6 years 2 months ago #22988

Forgot to mention that I pressed "start" in the scheduler, then had to "pause" and reset its jobs, because of I had the output path wrong, before pressing "start" again. This is indeed why I post in this thread.

-Eric
6 years 2 months ago #22991

Please post your esq and esl files.
6 years 2 months ago #22994

Replied by Eric on topic Resuming a schedule...

"M42.zip" has the sequence and scheduler XML files, "logs.txt" has the log, until the termination of the job. Jump to line 857 for the actual scheduler start and the unexpected message, and notice the previous manipulations. I removed the "SBL::fillToMag" spam for clarity. This is kstars 2.9.1 Build: 2018-01-11T10:39:55Z on Windows.

-Eric
6 years 2 months ago #23008
Attachments:

Just to bump this issue with a picture :) This is what the capture resulted in (stacked, only stretched, no calibration frames), although only 25 minutes of the three-hour run could be used. And 45 seconds of exposure is too much for M42 ;)

-Eric
6 years 2 months ago #23107

@knro I was looking at the code of the scheduler, and it appears there might be a missing test that could explain the symptom I've seen.

Line 3987 in scheduler.cpp, light frames are set required if the job is a FRAME_LIGHT, plus either a completed count or a completion type to FINISH_LOOP. Wouldn't FINISH_REPEAT be needed here too?

-Eric
6 years 2 months ago #23266

Good catch. Well, can you make the change and test?
6 years 2 months ago #23268

Good point :) I've never delved into kstars development more than looking at the code tree on github. Let me check what I can do.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim
6 years 2 months ago #23283

So I probably nailed down where the problem was with my last post, but actually it is not the root cause of the issue. In fact, that problem might not be considered as an issue per se, except that it has side effects which cause confusion.

The option "remember job progress" is counting the number of captures relevant to the sequence being run (that is, a count of existing fits files prefixed with the right folder assembly), and uses that number to check if the job is complete or not, and how many captures it still needs.

If I add multiple identical jobs to the scheduler list, and "remember job progress" is engaged, the algorithm of the scheduler will consider all jobs immediately finished as soon as the first job is finished. This happens because all jobs are identical, therefore the same set of captures is checked to determine whether the job is completed or not.

But if you try to reproduce, it's not the case. It is due to an additional issue: the job captures are only enumerated while estimating the duration of the jobs, and only for jobs that are NOT estimated yet.

By the way, I could also observe that modifying a job (by changing the sequence file for instance) should reset the duration, but actually does not: only a new job will arrive with no estimated duration.

Therefore to reproduce the actual issue, one scenario is to create a job with a sequence, start the scheduler and run it to the end, duplicate the job into a new one, and start the scheduler again. No module will get triggered, only captures, and the wrong message about calibration will appear in the logs.

Because this is, well, a set of intertwined issues, this will be a bit more involved to fix :) it's not even clear what needs fixing. Option "remember job progress" is clearly not compatible with job duplication, but having multiple sequences with realignment and focus might be interesting for prioritizing. Focus could be configured with the checkbox "refocus if HFR...", but what about alignment? That makes guiding obligatory, but it is optional nonetheless. And meridian flip? Or perhaps the way the scheduler currently works is simply too flexible for its own good.

In any case I may start by adding logs which clarify the situation for the end-user, reminding how the scheduler will address jobs. I could then fix the duration estimation, which should trigger for any change, or at least reset when the job is modified. Then probably I could add one level of folders between the scheduler output and the sequence output, say the job index (not very bright though), in order to avoid jobs mixing up when counting captures. Perhaps from there I could add a new button aside the mosaic macro, which would enable users to generate multiple jobs to capture a certain total exposure on a particular object.

Any other ideas on this?

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
6 years 1 month ago #23449

Time to create page: 0.921 seconds